Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2010, 04:14 AM   #1
RSWORD

Default Unusual Arab Islamic African sword with inscription

From my private collection is an interesting sword that seems to show multiple cultural influences so its exact origin is a bit of a mystery to me so I figure this is a good place to start a discussion. The silver work in the entire piece remind me very much of Arab work. All the leather remind me very much of Sudanese work. The blade, however, seems more tribal African to me as far as the decorations and workmanship of the blade. It is a very good blade, but not of the quality of locally produced Arab or African pieces. There is an Islamic inscription on each side of the blade that hopefully can be translated and add to the story. It is very well preserved but given the oral provenance received on the piece I would place it in the late 19th century. When I first saw it, I thought it might be an Omani one-of but there are enough peculiarities to it, I'm not so sure but I definitely see the Arab influence in the silver work. In any case, I have not run across a similar example before and look forward to your thoughts on origin.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 04:16 AM   #2
RSWORD

Some additional pictures including the inscription to blade.
Attached Images

Old 6th December 2010, 04:50 AM   #3
Iain

I'm struck by the resemblance with Tebu short swords. The scabbard suspension is clearly Chadic/Sudanese.

Is the hilt iron with one piece construction between guard and pommel? Something of the design resembles Mandingo pommels.

The decorative style of the blad conforms to various Chadic groups, similar line designs around the edges can be seen on Chadic daggers. I like the profile of the blade, better geometry than I was expecting.

Hopefully someone can get something out of the inscription. I have seen references to short swords in Nigeria and the Bornu region but never really seen one to compare this with.

A lovely piece, I'm officially intrigued.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 12:42 PM   #4
RSWORD

Hi Iain,

Thank you for the feedback. I had thought about Tebu daggers when looking at the protrusion at the top of the handle. This is the only exposed metal part, it is steel, nicely worked. The grip is leather wrapped and then you have nice quality silver mounts at the top and bottom of the grip. It is the silverwork that is throwing off a full Chadic attribution as I don't recall seeing any examples from those regions with this quality of silver work. Like you say, hopefully the blade inscription will provide some details. I'm also hoping some of the other African collectors will provide some opinions.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

most beautiful.

the first picture inscription is a verse from the Quran commonly used on swords, it says "victory from God is near, so bring the good tidings of heaven to the believers, O Mohammed"

the last picture inscription says ".... alsultan Ali Dinar" first word is unreadable atm.

the bottom inscription says " .... alsultan .... 3 . 9" the dots are words/numbers i couldnt read.

remarkable piece
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Iain

Well that might break it open... If someone can read the date I'd bet this could be a reference to Sultan Ali Dinar of Darfur (1856-1916).
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote