Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2024, 02:58 PM   #1
mgolab

Default Help with Identification-Naval Axe?

Hello:

I recently acquired this all iron, hand forged hatchet/axe. The head is 8 inches and overall length is 18 inches. It weighs 3 pounds. It came from upstate New York, Rochester/Lake Ontario region.

Too heavy for a spike tomahawk (although common in that region) and I'm pretty sure this pre-dates crate axes. It also has a chisel/spike end and not a hammer end typically seen on crate axes. I am wonder whether a naval tool/axe given Lake Ontario's naval engagement history in War of 1812.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

mgolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 03:41 PM   #2
wildwolberine

Interesting old tool! I wonder if it might be a vintage ice harvesting axe? Not the ice axe for mountaineering but for cutting ice from frozen lakes for sale?
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 03:52 PM   #3
mgolab

I've seen a lot of old ice harvesting hatchets. Not likely. blade profile is different along with chisel spike end.
Old 21st January 2024, 04:05 PM   #4
Bob A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwolberine View Post
Interesting old tool! I wonder if it might be a vintage ice harvesting axe? Not the ice axe for mountaineering but for cutting ice from frozen lakes for sale?
From the wilds of Lake Ontario: I came, Ice Saw, I conquered!
Attached Images

Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 04:15 PM   #5
wildwolberine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
From the wilds of Lake Ontario: I came, Ice Saw, I conquered!
Nice!
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 05:14 PM   #6
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgolab View Post
Hello:

I recently acquired this all iron, hand forged hatchet/axe. The head is 8 inches and overall length is 18 inches. It weighs 3 pounds. It came from upstate New York, Rochester/Lake Ontario region.

Too heavy for a spike tomahawk (although common in that region) and I'm pretty sure this pre-dates crate axes. It also has a chisel/spike end and not a hammer end typically seen on crate axes. I am wonder whether a naval tool/axe given Lake Ontario's naval engagement history in War of 1812.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Definitely a tool. Perhaps a roofing hammer or something that was used in the mines.
cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 09:55 PM   #7
mgolab

Thank You. Does not resemble a roofing hammer. Thus, no hammer end and no nail pull.

Piece appears to be 18th century to me. Also, not aware of any mining in Rochester NY.
Old 22nd January 2024, 01:19 PM   #8
Interested Party

It minds me of a mill pick but not quite the right shape. Their ax and adze are a little more wedge shaped in profile and shorter I believe. It is hard to get a sense of proportion, size, and overall shape from these pictures. The prybar handle is a later addition? Interesting in that it seems made for a very specific purpose. In its current configuration it would be good for pulling specimens out of mines. If I owned it that would be its purpose. Though I wouldn't want to swing it too much with that metal handle it makes my elbow hurt just looking at it.

Bob A I believe that is a hay knife, maybe it saw double duty. Here is a picture from the Antique Ice Tool Museum.

This seems like a Miscellaneous tool.
Attached Images

Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:58 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

mgolab: Your hammer head has the general profile of a slater's hammer, but the all metal handle may be ill suited for that purpose--seems too heavy to wield for a day.

Bob: I'm pretty sure your tool is a hay knife and would not cut ice all that well. The one's shown by IP are what I saw used in Minnesota by the old timers. Nowadays ice augers and chain saws seem to have replaced a lot of the hand ice saws, at least for ice fishing and ice sculptures.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2024, 01:44 PM   #10
mgolab

Thanks Ian, but I'd have to disagree with you on that. Where is the hammer? It is a blade profile with a spike/chisel end. Hand forged. Someone else suggested that the head and haft were married at a later date, which makes sense looking at the eye profile.
Old 23rd January 2024, 04:28 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Seems like an interesting tool that should be moved to the Miscellaneous Forum.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2024, 05:36 AM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Agree Gavin. Over it goes for further discussion.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote