Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th January 2024, 11:02 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Interesting Maranao naga (?) gunong

This item finished at auction today.

I find it both interesting and curious. It has a waved blade of gunong/punal form (not kris) with an inscribed serpent-like body running down its length. The hilt pommel, which appears to be likely ivory, has a zoomorphic head with mouth and pins for the eyes and nose (?). It resembles a snake to my eyes. The grip is typical Maranao work, with a central bulge that may contain suassa elements. The scabbard is sheathed in what appears to be gilt metal with inscribed okir designs. The sampir is of a Maranao style, as is the okir.

The age of this piece is hard to assess. The blade is not well forged, and I doubt it is tempered or very functional—more symbolic IMHO. Perhaps mid-20th C or earlier manufacture.

I have a strong sense of a serpent running from the pommel to the tip of the blade, and that this has some spiritual significance. I don't believe this is a piece made for those who travel, but it might be. If the scabbard is gilded this would suggest an item of some distinction. Similarly, the metalwork on the hilt might also have some gold, but that would require testing.

Overall I thought this was an interesting piece for which I was the sole bidder.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 09:14 AM   #2
milandro

I have seen several seemingly Philippino weapons (lately, since I was researching one which came in my possession) showing several elements mixed up together, some nicer than others.

I saw some time ago a weapon with a similar Ivory hilt on a wavy blade. I flirted for some time with the idea of buying it ( was for sale for a very long time) .

This example has a very nice grip but then the blade is of the more ordinary type .

I think these are fairly modern pieces. It may have been made for tourists.

I bought one kris of similar manufacture from someone whom told he had bought it in Singapore. I then saw several examples of the same quality . The hilt was a Maguindanao style but way simpler than the other Maguindanao that I have. I wasn't overly impressed with the weapon so I sold it on cheap to someone.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2024, 10:40 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Milandro,

I agree with much of what you say. The blade is not weapon grade, and I don't think it was ever intended to be used as a weapon. There are many such decorative/talismanic items around, as you noted, and this may be a rather high end example of a 20th C, purely decorative, Maranao piece. I say "high end" because of the gilt scabbard and fancy hilt. As I'm sure you are aware, historically gold decoration was reserved for Moro royalty and certain highly placed officials in the service of the Sultan.

My interest is more with the possible talismanic features of the piece, with its depiction of what I believe is a naga, running from end to end. This may have significance in its original culture.

I plan to remove the oxidation from the blade to get a better appreciation of its markings.
Old 19th January 2024, 07:29 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

It's gold plate, and I think probably for ceremonial or presentation.

I agree that the okir is Maranao
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2024, 10:31 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Jose. Good to hear from you.
Old 21st January 2024, 02:45 PM   #6
Sajen

Hi Ian,

Personally I think that it is a somewhat better gunong/dagger purley made for selling purpose. The gold plating by these items (I've handled a few) is very thin and by wrong storage it's easily damaged. The blades are not forged and far too thin to get used.
So I guess that the "naga" is purely decorative, fantasy mixed with Maranao okir.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2024, 10:09 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

You're probably right Detlef. I'm still interested in its possible talismanic properties.
Old 21st January 2024, 10:47 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy

IMO it's a kris missing its' Gonjo.
Even if it had its' gonjo it still wouldn't be a proper fit to the scabbard.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote