Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th October 2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Freddy

Thumbs up Small....(and in my opinion)...beautiful

Just found this one on the antique market this morning : an African spear from the Tutsi tribe in Ruanda.

When I mention 'small' in the title of this post, I refer to the spear head. Most Central African spear heads are big to really big. Just view some of the older posts on spears to know what I mean.
This is the tiniest one I ever found. The spear blade is beautifully forged with even some incised decoration just below the actual blade. The total length of the spear is 206,5 cm (82,6 inches). So it's a relatively long spear.
But the spear head is only 17 cm (6,8 inches) with the blade measuring a mere 7,5 cm (3 inches). It also has a metal finial (bottom part) of 11 cm (4,4 cm).
Any comments ?

I'm not showing the entire spear as it's too difficult to photograph. It has a plain wooden shaft.

Look at the next pic. I compared this Tutsi spear head with a spear head of another tribe (Kuba ?). In my opinion, this was a small spear head, compared to the normal ones found in the Congo. The other one measures 25,5 cm (10,2 inches) and is 6 cm (2,4 cm) wide.

These spears were used by the ruling Tutsi tribe in Ruanda. I found some pics of chiefs and of the famous 'Ntore' dancers. Look at the similar spears.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 04:23 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY NICELY MADE SPEAR AND NEAT PICTURES ALSO . THE SIZE OF THE HEAD REMINDS ME OF THE CHINESE FIGHTING SPEARS BUT YOUR EXAMPLE HAS A VERY LONG SOCKET ON THE HEAD UNLIKE THE CHINESE TYPES I HAVE SEEN. IS THE SHAFT RIGID OR FLEXABLE LIKE THE CHINESE SPEARS SOMETIMES ARE?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Freddy

Arrow

The shaft has a diameter of about 1,4 cm (0,56 inches). I would call it 'semi-flexible', due to it's length.

In my opinion, it is a great throwing spear.

I once saw a film - I think the title is 'King Solomon's mines' - dating from the 1950's. The companion of the hero in this film was a very long African. At the end of the film, it seemed that this man was the rightful heir to the throne of the tribe they visited. The film shows a fight between the two princes. During that duel they use a spear and a shield, and also a slim sword.

Here are some more pics of the 'Ntore' dancers. These (and also the other two) were made in 1955 during the visit of the Belgian king.

Old 28th October 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I know the film you talk about, as a boy I would watch all films in that genre, Tarzan as well, they were really good especially the TV series in the 70s. The last Tarzan film had some good bits but the mystery had gone. The one that was complete rubbish was with Bo Derick though you did get a glimpse of her glories. The blade on your spear is also like a pig sticking lance and a mini version of ww1 lance head. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 01:43 AM   #5
zalmoxis

Very rare spear. I have never seen one before. And elegant too.Great buy.
zalmoxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 05:19 AM   #6
roanoa

I believe Tutsi spears are the most elegant and finely crafted spears in Africa. I have had these two for a long time and I did not know what they were till I found a picture of Tutsi spear heads in an old Italian book. The variety of forms is amazing. My two spears are fairly short. The one with the large blade is 137 cm long. The head is 34.5 cm long including the socket and 4.5 cm wide. The smaller one is only 116 cm long (the iron butt spike is missing); head , including socket is 22 cm long and 3.4 cm wide. The blade has a different pattern on each side. I believe they were carried more as a symbol than a weapon.
Attached Images

roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 06:04 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Tutsi spears - W W! I like those. Never would have known had you not posted those. Very nice and impressive!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 01:51 PM   #8
Freddy

Thumbs up Terrific !

Very nice, indeed !

My spear has a simple blade, but notice the small decoration on the base of all three spears (engraved lines).

I haven't seen such intricate blades as yet. I like them a lot.

Roanoa,
You are quite right in saying that these spears are carried as symbols. It's a 'status thing'. The smaller spears are often called 'staff spears'.

The picture of the book also shows some rare blade forms. In Belgium, we sometimes find small spears with such 'exotic' formed spear blades. Often these have beaded shafts. A lot of them were made for the Europeans (as a kind of tourist piece), but not all. In one of my former posts, I showed some beaded pieces :

As far as I can judge from the pictures all these blades look very well forged.
Old 7th November 2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Those two spears of roanoa, just go to show the level of skill and artistry that Africans have achieved in relatively primitive conditions. The small spear could almost be a swanky motor car logo, produced by the lattest CAD equipment. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote