Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2023, 05:20 PM   #1
xasterix

Default Atypical kris for comment

Hello, I called this "atypical" because...I've seen only about 3 similarly-built Moro kris scattered throughout the forum and other sites, and my sample is the least aesthetic of them all. My Malaysian friends call this "kapit sundang" and "clamp-type kris." The blade is 22in long- light, nimble, and springy. OA length is 28in.

Similarly-constructed samples are also welcome, TIA!
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2023, 08:06 PM   #2
kino

Is this area within the box forged along with the upper ganga? It looks like it’s slightly raised.
Nice catch.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 02:09 AM   #3
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino View Post
Is this area within the box forged along with the upper ganga? It looks like it’s slightly raised.
Nice catch.
Thanks sir! I'm attaching a pic with a rough scribble of how the parts interact.

Green is the gangya line. The lower gangya is thicker than the upper; the lower half of the plate (blue) is either forged from, or welded to the lower gangya. The upper gangya is thinner, so the upper part of the plate (red) "floats" above it. There is tree resin under the floating plate.
Attached Images

Old 18th September 2023, 04:14 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

That's a really sweet piece with some fine attention to detail in the application of the Kapit.

Very atypical as you note, most are as this one is from the Met collection

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collec...WTkXjOU5RGPGkU

You note the plate floats, in that it is resin afixed, but is this Kapit section that floats actually now part of the gonjo, and there is but an incised line across the kapit to complete the gonjo line, or are these two fully separate sections, one forge welded, the other resin afixed?

Gavin
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 05:24 AM   #5
kino

Sorry the photo failed to attach.
I’m glad you knew was I was referring to. Kris’ with a silver okir engraved panel that I have encountered (~3) were fastened to the blade with something that resembles a rivet. Your example is another method. Very nice sword.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 08:10 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Since there is no real "guard" on these kris, I'm reluctant to call the downward projection from the top half of the gangya a langet but it certainly looks and behaves like one. I suppose this could be an old Hindu influence in the Malay/Indonesian world that had a little penetration into the Moro culture.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 11:15 AM   #7
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
That's a really sweet piece with some fine attention to detail in the application of the Kapit.

Very atypical as you note, most are as this one is from the Met collection

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collec...WTkXjOU5RGPGkU

You note the plate floats, in that it is resin afixed, but is this Kapit section that floats actually now part of the gonjo, and there is but an incised line across the kapit to complete the gonjo line, or are these two fully separate sections, one forge welded, the other resin afixed?

Gavin
That is a mystery to me still. In this closeup, there is a demarcation line on the plate that traces the gangya separation- but I can't tell whether it's real or emulated.
Attached Images

Old 18th September 2023, 11:15 AM   #8
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Since there is no real "guard" on these kris, I'm reluctant to call the downward projection from the top half of the gangya a langet but it certainly looks and behaves like one. I suppose this could be an old Hindu influence in the Malay/Indonesian world that had a little penetration into the Moro culture.
Thanks for this insight Ian ! I'll read up on this influence.
Old 18th September 2023, 12:19 PM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
That is a mystery to me still. In this closeup, there is a demarcation line on the plate that traces the gangya separation- but I can't tell whether it's real or emulated.
Thank you.

I am getting the emulated feeling from it and the edges that ran over the gonjo have been forged there at that point... an interesting piece indeed....
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote