Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
David R

Default From the hands of the Riffs.

A little while ago the subject arose of Western guns used in the Middle East and North Africa, and the decoration they could have....so here's mine. A Gras that has been in the hands of the Riffs by the look of it, and one with a fair old history behind it, note the crowned N in the last pic, like many Gras' this is a reworked Chassepot.
This turned up at an open air antique fair, on a table with a rather nice Kabyle and a dozen gas pipe specials. I bought this, my friend the Kabyle and then we ran away.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 03:27 AM   #2
trenchwarfare

That's pretty cool David. I used to own this one.
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all ~ Here the two Arabized Chassepots show some interesting features .. Gun at #1 Butt decorated in brass studs... Brass studs were a sort of poor mans gold decorative item (think Gold the Sun, Silver the Moon) adorning guns and furniture like wedding chests and tables. A lot of studs found their way about the globe as ballast in ships. The incantation of "God" seems to appear as the final word studded on the Butt section. Silver decorates the woodwork and the narrow neck of the Butt and as strengtheners ... in both cases likely to be low silver with high copper content.
#2 decorated in moon and star motifs; the moons having 5 studs (5 a lucky number) and unusually in copper; not brass or silver.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
David R

Thanks for this....it never occured to me that the studs were in anything but a random pattern. I love this site. I think here is a unique resource, and one I constantly recommend to my friends .
David R is offline   Reply With Quote