Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th June 2010, 09:32 AM   #1
kai

Thumbs up Alamang Bugis (Sulawesi/Celebes)

I'd like to find a good new caretaker for this special Alamang!

The blade is at least from the 19th century with the typical pamor of Bugis swords and many talismanic "thumbprints" which are extremely rare to find on antique Bugis blades. In the old days, adat and hormat would have prevented any average bladesmith from adding such powerful features - this is why I believe this is a pusaka crafted by a veritable Bugis empu.

Typical Alamang pommel made from horn with old patina and wear consistant with age; while being substantial, the horn is translucent when helt against light. Original horn ferrule also with translucent qualities and fibrous texture (hairline crack but very solid). I've tried to identify the horn utilized but patina and age make this tough: possibly albino carabao? Good grip with twisted copper wire.

Scabbard with well patinated wood and wear to the nicely decorated hanger block as well as to the 2 attachment holes for carrying the sword. Scabbard opening with an old repair which holds solid. Same twisted copper wire as the grip to hold the scabbard; the slightly lighter color of the wood make me believe that the lower portion of the scabbard was once also covered with twisted wire. No recent loss though since there's also some wear to the now exposed wood, too.

Provenance: Old Dutch collection, formerly in the private collections of Willem van der Post and Michael Marlow. This piece is currently with Maurice (on commission) and shipping would be from the Netherlands. At the current exchange rate, the asking price would be US$ 617 - feel free to make an offer or to suggest a trade. Thanks!
More pics at http://www.ethnographicswords.com

If anyone would like to share comments, please email me and I'll paste them into this thread (unedited, of course).

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 09:41 AM   #2
kai

Horn pics:
Attached Images

Old 1st April 2017, 05:02 PM   #3
kai

Red face

Alameng sold a long time ago - sorry for not updating earlier...

Regards,
Kai