Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 23rd June 2005, 04:57 AM   #1
kai

Arrow antique * Badik Lombok * looking for a new home

Thanks for having a look!

This is a nice Indonesian dagger with a really old pamor blade - apparently dating to the 17th century (according to more knowledgeable sources than me). It originates from Lombok, the island East of Bali. The historically close ties with Bali are reflected in the whopping Ukiran Cecekahan handle made from dense, fine-grained hardwood. An old, patinated bronze coin serves as hilt ring (there are Chinese ideographs on one side and possibly Sanskrit(?) writing on the other). The nicely etched blade exhibits Pamor mlumah of the Jaka Sura type. The sheath displays floral carving at the throat area; the wood has some patina and a few unevitable nicks and repairs (especially at the tip: see pics). Given the age of the blade, its current fittings are just the last in a long row of dresses since this blade has obviously been cared for - there is no pitting, just good and even etching. If you really appreciate old Pamor blades, you'll surely like this one! Please send me a mail if you have any questions.

The mere stats:
39.7 cm (15.6") total length
37.4 cm (14.7") without sheath
27.1 cm (10.7") sheath
25.0 cm (9.84") blade + 4.6 cm (1.81") Peksi
12.7 cm (5.0") Ukiran
2.4 cm (0.95") coin diameter
[I measured as accurately as possible but allow for minimal deviations.]

I'm asking US$ 125.- for this antique Badik Lombok. Please let me know where you're from and we'll keep shipping expenses as reasonable as possible.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 05:13 AM   #2
kai

Smile close-ups (left side)

more pics...
Attached Images

Old 23rd June 2005, 05:16 AM   #3
kai

Default close-ups (right side)

pics once more...
Attached Images

Old 23rd June 2005, 05:20 AM   #4
kai

Smile close-ups of coin

Last pics, I guess...
Attached Images

Old 23rd June 2005, 05:24 AM   #5
kai

Exclamation note on coin

BTW, that non-Chinese writing probably needs to be rotated clockwise by 90°. I left it in the orientation which corresponds with the other side though.
Old 12th July 2005, 01:21 AM   #6
kai

Exclamation BTTT

Some additional information since I finally dug out my notes:

The Badik was obtained in 2001 at the "National Cultural Heirloom Exhibition" (Solo, Jawa) from Zainal Fanani, a keris appraiser and Galeri Keris owner in Malang (eastern Jawa).

It came from the Sasak, the indigenous people on Lombok.

Regards,
Kai
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:19 PM   #7
kai

Exclamation Antique Guang Xu Tong Bao coin

After holidays and all, I finally got around to identifying the coin utilised for the guard. Numismatics is obviously not my forte and it took awhile to sort out some misconceptions of mine...

Long story short, this is a late 19th century copper alloy coin from the Guang Xu reign which was produced in Guangdong Mint (at that time just outside of Canton town) sometime from 1890 to 1899 (BTW, that's Manchu script on the reverse side). According to two Chinese coin collectors, this well-patinated example is in very good shape and it was probably removed from circulation soon after it was minted. Thus, it stands to reason that this coin was utilised already around of the turn of the 19th century for this Badik Lombok and has been with it since. So although the coin itself has not a high value, it's at least not a fake coin flippantly used to dress up a fantasy dagger but rather a traditional Sasak style...

I'm not sure wether this has any relevance regarding the age of the wooden fittings which, as always, may be not as old. However, I'm confident that both, warangka and danganan (ukiran), are both genuinely crafted pieces and at least of vintage age.

Regards,
Kai
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:20 PM   #8
kai

Thumbs up *Any* comments welcome!

Please feel free to discuss this Badik (we haven't had that many in the forum AFAIK)! Raise positive or negative points, add info, whatever...

(For obvious reasons, I didn't want to post this in the general forum and go selling it soon after.)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Kai
Old 31st August 2005, 01:02 AM   #9
kai

Exclamation reduced dowry...

US$ 99.- - let's see if it finds a new home at last!

Regards,
Kai
Old 6th September 2005, 08:23 PM   #10
kai

Post Shipping costs

BTW, shipping cost to the US (and most other international destinations) would be US$ 18.- for registered air mail or $11.50 for registered surface mail (the latter not recommended!).

Within the EU (and some other European countries) it's US$ 10.- for registered priority mail.

Regards,
Kai
Old 7th September 2005, 11:49 PM   #11
kai

Exclamation

Blade is on hold...
Old 1st April 2017, 11:42 PM   #12
kai

Red face

Traded/sold a long time ago - sorry for not updating earlier...

Regards,
Kai