Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th July 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Cakszz

Default Mandau Sanaman Mantikei mix with Djangkarang

Hi gents,
I am newbi.. I am originally Dayak from Central Kalimantan (Dayak Ngaju). For admin thanks for accepting me in this forum.. I found so much valuable information about tribal weaponry, particularly Mandau. And I am just collecting several mandau for myself. My great grandfather used to be known as blacksmith of Mandau, yet, none of his descendants now inherit his skills.
In central Kalimantan, the famous materials of Mandau only come from 2 kinds of stone:

1. Sanaman Mantikei (Stone of Mantikei)
Normally Mandau made from this kind of stone never has smooth shape, seems like pitted but it’s not. This Mandau can be bent, normally by rub it with “daun sirih” (you may believe it or not but I’ve seen it). This kind of Mandau cannot be used to cut soft object such banana trees as it will be bent, but if it used to cut hard object it will cut.

2. Sanaman Lampang (floating stone)
This is very oddand very rare people have it nowadays. This kind of metal can float on water. I personally have not seen it, but my grandfather had seen it. According to the legend this stone was stolen/given from spiritual world. Our late governor Tjilik Riwut has one of Sanaman Lampang Mandau and now is kept in capitol building.

According to my grandfather story, back in times, when blacksmith wanted to forge Mandau, he will sing ‘karungut’ – a traditional song from Dayak Ngaju.

I have a collection from a mixing from Sanaman Mantikei and Sanaman Djangkarang. Sanaman Djangkarang is not as famous the other two materials. But this is also from a stone, could be found in Barito or Katingan area. This type of Mandau is not bendable as Mantikei.

IMG_3028.JPG
Attached Images

Cakszz is offline   Reply With Quote