Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd October 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Greek knife?

Hello all,
I am sure you all know this is not my normal sort of thing but it was on offer today at such a silly price I thought I would add it to my collection. The blade is quite a fine piece of hollow ground {concave either side of the blade} steel with a bone handle. It looks like the white metal on the scabbard and handle is pewter or zinc. The scabbard is wood and leather with brass stitching. It does not strike me as a fighting knife. Is it a tourist piece? or just a personnel knife for a country dweller. Can anyone fill in the gaps. Tim
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 10:55 PM   #2
Justin

This knife is from Crete,looks like a nice user piece ,they are fairly rare from what I have seen.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:02 AM   #3
Miyamoto

I think that it is called Crete bichaq.
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 02:30 AM   #4
RobT

Default How were these held

Hi All,
I also have one of these knives from Crete. According to the lettering on the blade mine is from the city of Chania. From what I have heard from Greeks, these knives were used for fighting. As a matter of fact, one Greek I asked about the phrase engraved on my blade said that it translated as something like, "I'm a tough guy from Chania". My informant could have been pulling my leg but since I speak no Greek, I took his word for it. If these blades were indeed used for fighting, what would keep the user's hand from sliding up the blade when a stab was made? This has always puzzled me since the blade looks too light and small to be a really effective slasher.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 07:59 PM   #5
Yannis

Tim
Your knife is not a tourist piece. It is an old Cretan knife. How old I cannot tell from the pictures, but I can say at least 40 years. These knifes were carried from almost every Cretan man (and a lot of times from women too), till 1950-60. It was used as general knife, for killing the sheep and for vendettas too. The most elaborate, with engraved full silver scabbards were status symbols.

RobT
Unfortunately when there are names of towns or “Crete” on the blade THIS is a tourist piece.
Old tourist pieces are of good construction. If you post a good photo I can tell you what it says. Poems or words are rare before WWII. There are still few traditional bladesmiths on the island who still make good knifes for presents or for shepherds.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 03:49 AM   #6
RobT

Default Thanks for the offer

Yannis,
Thanks for the translation offer. I will take pics of the blade this weekend. My blade is rather plain. Just brass, bone and steel. As such, it doesn't appear to be the kind of thing made to attract a tourist's eye. The only extravagance is the three lines of hand engraved text on the blade. The lettering is tiny. I hope I can capture it all on camera.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote