Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2011, 03:11 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Early Spanish Musket for I.D.

Hello all. Here is yet another item from a fellow collector. He believes this is a 1741 Spanish Dragoon Musket. It is iron mounted. He says the barrel was shorted slightly back in the period, and the front barrel band is missing.
I just don't have the reference material to positivly identify this musket. It certainly is a Spanish Dragoon. And, the furniture style seems to date it pre-American Revolution. Does anyone have any reference material on Spanish Military arms pre-1760? Sure would like to know what the front barrel band looked like? Thanks for any assistance. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

This one resembles MODELO 1757, according to both B.Barceló Rubí and Juan Luis Calvó.
Differences noted are the mountings that, according to Rubi (for one) should be brass. Also the strap sling is on the stock and not in the trigger guard, like in the example posted.
The lock looks prity much the same ... to my eyes.
You may confront the measurements, calibres and weight in the attached page (ARMAMENTO PORTATIL ESPAÑOL BY B. Barceló Rubi).

-
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Rick and 'Nando,

It's interesting to notice the delays in sylistic development: in both French and German flintlocks, the lower concave line of the lock plate would be closely datable to 1720-30.

That's exactly why I hesitated to respond and wisely prefrerred waiting for 'Nando's expertise!

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
rickystl

Hello 'Nando and Michael!!!

'Nanado: Thanks so much for your reply. At first glance I too thought this was a 1752/57 Model, but with a "dragoon type" middle barrel band??
Good of you to notice the rear sling swivel being located on the triggerguard vs the butt stock like the 1757. I believe the first half of the 18th Century the Spanish closely followed the French design of firearms. And, that middle barrel band reminds me of a 1760's French Carbine. Even though the barrel band springs are missing, the owner says you can tell the barrel bands are original to the gun. He has promised to send me better pictures, especially of the entire gun. The one very interesting item is the iron vs brass mounts.
Maybe this was a transition piece? Since the lock is styled like the 1730-50 French lock, I do believe this is a pre-1750 piece.
Just today, I found a book for sale on Amazon which I purchased titled: Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America, 1700-1821. I should receive it in the next 10 days or less. Maybe this will shed some light?
Michael: By the way, I dis-assembled my Nurenburg Flask per your request and posted pictures under the "Powder Flask I.D.". Thank you both!! Rick.
Old 5th October 2011, 09:04 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
... That's exactly why I hesitated to respond and wisely prefrerred waiting for 'Nando's expertise! ...
Oh yeah, it takes a lot of expertise to consult the couple books i have on Spanish weapons
Old 5th October 2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Fernando K

Hola:

Me parece que es un fusil francés, modelo l754. Los fusiles españoles nunca fueron fijados al cañón (barrel) por la "grenadiere" como en este modelo. Lástima que falta el "embouchoir" delantero. Además, el "punto" (lug) para la fijación de la bayoneta esta situado en la parte inferior del cañón, y no en la parte superior, como en los cañones españoles.

Según Ramiro Larrañaga "Sintesis histórica de la Armería Vasca" España adquirío armas francesas de Saint Etienne, especialmente para las colonias.

AHi

I think it is a French rifle, model L754. The Spanish guns were never attached to the barrel (barrel) for the "grenadiere" as in this model. Too bad it lacks the "embouchoir" forward. In addition, the "point" (lug) for fixing the bayonet is located at the bottom of the barrel, not the top, as in the Spanish guns.

According to Ramiro Larranaga "historical overview of the Armory Vasca" Spain acquired French arms of Saint Etienne, especially for the colonies.

Sincerely. Fernando K

Diccionariofectuosamente. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 07:07 PM   #7
fernando

I have no doubt that Fernando K has infinitely more knowledge about these weapons .
But let me ask you something, Fernando K: the lock of this rifle is not French and looks quite similar to the Spanish fusil 1757, don't you agree?
Saludos del otro Fernando.
Old 7th October 2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Fernando K

Hola:

La llave (Lock) no se distingue de la llave francesa mas que por el tornillo que cierra las mandíbulas: esta provisto de una anilla, como en el miquelete (miquelet). Sin embargo, el rastrillo (frizen) no está estriado o rayado, como el las llaves (lock) españolas con influencia francesa. Tambien es un poco raro el tornillo de la nuez(walnut) que está fresado en cruz.La estructura general, como las fornituras, me indican que está hecho según el modelo francés de 1754.Conocido (know) que en esa época las armas francesas eran producidas por armeros particulares, con las inspecciones de los oficiales de artillería.

Sería interesante que se publicaran mas fotos, en particular del interior de la llave, para ver si hay grabado algun nombre o alguna otra característica.

Saludos. Afectuosamente. Fernando KHi

The key (Lock) is indistinguishable from the French key rather than by the screw that closes the jaws: a ring is provided, as in the Miquelet (Miquelet). However, the rake (frize) is not striated or scratched, such as keys (lock) Spanish with French influence. It is also a little weird screw nut (walnut) that is milling cruz.La general structure, such as trimmings, tell me that is made on the French model of 1754.Conocido (know) that at that time the French arms were produced by private dealers, with inspections of the artillery officers.

It would be interesting to publish more pictures, including inside the key, to see if there are recorded some name or other characteristic.

Greetings. Sincerely. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Cerjak

Default SPANISH MUSQUET

hello RICK
First of all thank you for all your comment ,yes I think we have interest for similar gun: see some photos from this spanish musket from my collection.
Sorry I have a poor English level.
Kind regards

Jean-Luc
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 06:03 PM   #10
rickystl

Hi Jean Luc!!! Great to hear from you again. Ohhhhh, that is a wonderful looking Spanish musket. I'm drooling.... I sent your photos to a fellow collector friend so he can enjoy. Thanks for posting. Rick.

By the way, I have not shot the Sind Rifle yet, but will this Spring. The bore is now clean. Just have not had time to get the lock adjusted yet.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Jean-Luc,

For Central and Northern Europe, your military musket could be dated to the 1740's but as it is Spanish it might well be as late as the 1780's.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote