Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th October 2011, 02:03 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default My Hulu Tajong...

Just want to share my hulu Tajong, here...
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 02:42 AM   #2
ganjawulung

It is a 21st century Tajong, made in Jakarta...
Old 7th October 2011, 06:32 AM   #3
drdavid

Hi Ganjawuung
you answered my question before i could ask it
The carving seems very good most of the time, perhaps a little less elegant around those squares on the top. Do you know what type of wood? Did you commission this?
regards
drd
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Default 21st century...

No, dr David, I didn't commision it. I bought it from Yogya, but I knew it was made in Jakarta. The same talented carver made and carved this buffalo horn Cirebon hilt below. You may see, that the upper one is the original and old Cirebon "wayang" motif-hilt, and the lower is the 21st century Cirebon hilt with almost the same motif. But it is very clear to see that the buffalo horn one is newly made. The maker didn't intend to make it as if it is worn out...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Old 8th October 2011, 03:07 AM   #5
Alam Shah

The carver have talent but aesthetically, still have a long way to go for the tajong hilt. As for the cirebon hilt, I guess the source itself is not a good enough a copy to duplicate and learn from.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 11:40 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Agree with you, Shahrial, aesthetically still long way to go. Aesthetic is not just a matter of forms, or beautiful forms but also philosophy. Every keris' detail contains its specific philosophy... (Below, example of picture on Rajamala hilt, from Tegal and Cirebon area, for comparison to Tajong form)
Attached Images

Old 9th October 2011, 01:32 AM   #7
BluErf

I think it is good that the tajong art is being kept alive, that someone takes the pain to learn it. However, it is important for seller to disclose where this hilt is made, and not pass it off as the real deal. For the buyer, it is also important to learn about the nuances, and make an informed decision when buying one.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 02:35 AM   #8
ganjawulung

Yes, Kai Wee, and sometimes I feel surprised when I saw someone working on something (it could be keris hilt, bugis warangka and even Melayu blades, or javanese blades) -- I asked who commissioned it? The maker said: "Mr this and that" from abroad. So, the buyer knows well where it was made. I notice this, not only in Jakarta, but also in certain place in Solo...
Old 9th October 2011, 08:26 AM   #9
BluErf

That's true. I ordered one from a carver from Madura, and it has been more than 7 months and no sight of the hilt. The carver is very talented, but for reasons unknown, he has not delivered.

Thanks for sharing the rajamala hilts. They are one of my favourite hilt forms!
Old 9th October 2011, 09:06 AM   #10
ganjawulung

Kai Wee, I think I know the carver -- with "S" initial -- and has a facebook account, but with modified name a bit. Yes, he is one of the best young Maduran carver today. Unfortunately, with a bit disappointing reputation on promising to finish on time, or even "not to finish" at all...

On the examples on hilt, I don't think the second is "rajamala" type. Or do you? It is more 'gentle' type than "rajamala"... I don't even know the name. Wayang hilt?
Old 9th October 2011, 02:24 PM   #11
BluErf

Yes it is him. Maybe I'll see him around at one of the pameran in the future

The second hilt - I see what you mean, but I have no idea what other wayang characters this could represent. It does have the same feel as Rajamala, but no obvious moustache (I see a beard).
Old 9th October 2011, 03:19 PM   #12
ganjawulung

Good luck, then... Here are other examples on "Rajamala" from Kraton Museum of Surakarta, Central Jawa. A museum just beside the Kraton of Solo. Five years back I took this foto. Rajamala for sailing mascot at sea, used to be put on the tip of the "haluan" of a boat or ship. And also, "Kala Makara" sea mascot for the same purpose....
Attached Images

Old 9th October 2011, 04:31 PM   #13
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Good luck, then... Here are other examples on "Rajamala" from Kraton Museum of Surakarta, Central Jawa. A museum just beside the Kraton of Solo. Five years back I took this foto. Rajamala for sailing mascot at sea, used to be put on the tip of the "haluan" of a boat or ship. And also, "Kala Makara" sea mascot for the same purpose....
Ganjawulung this pic is very interesting.
Thanks
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 11:09 PM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Here are another couple of Rojomolo pics.

I had always thought that the Rojomolo was representative of the spirit of the Bengawan ( Solo River).

The top one is in the Museum Radyapustaka in Solo, near Sriwedari in Jln. Slamet Riyadi. It was carved by Pakubuwana IV when he was crown prince, to fit to the royal barge he had constructed that was used to bring his bride, the daughter of Bupati Cakraningrat, from Madura to Solo.Regular offerings need to be made to this Rojomolo, if not, a stench of rotting flesh is said to permeate the museum.

In olden times water transport was more usual in Jawa than road transport.

The bottom one is a more recent pic of the Rojomolo figurehead in the Karaton Museum.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote