Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th October 2015, 06:19 PM   #1
rickystl

Post Torador Barrel Investigation - Part II

Hello all.
Well, I received the barrel back. On the YouTube video "Mughal Matchlock" there is a very brief skeletal type interior view of a loaded barrel showing the distance of the patched ball from the loose powder in the chamber. I tried putting the video on still, to copy this view, but can't seem to do it. Maybe another member with better computer skills than I can do it ? It does seem to be a accurate likeness of the interior of my barrel. Would sure like to have it.
Anyway, here is what I found: This barrel is 55.5 inches (141cm) long and .59 caliber (15mm). From the muzzle end, the bore travels towards the breech to about 51.5 inches (131cm) where it NARROWS to a smaller cone shape for about the next 1 inch (2.5cm) and into the large powder chamber that is about 2.5 inches (6.35cm) in length and very large diameter. The breech plug material was about 1/2 to 3/4 inches in length (about 1.25 to 2cm).
So it does seem to portry an accurate account of what is shown in the video. To get this shape inside of the barrel, it would have required the barrel being forged around a pre-shaped mandral of some sort. Another interesting note is the vent hole is drilled just ahead of the breech plug, which is typical, but drilled at a 60 degree angle similar to Japanese matchlocks. Hmmmm.
I tried to get the best pics I could with and without flash. But you really can't see the interior properly without specialized photographic instruments. Thus my description above.
Well, I've finally answered my question about the interior of these barrels. It's likely that the other Torador barrel interiors are similar.
Here are some pics............
Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote