Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th January 2017, 06:42 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Ottoman Powder Flask

Hello all.

Here is a new member to my collection. Most research I've seen refer to this style of flask as Ottoman - generically. Although I have another one, the same style, that came with an Afghan belt. But not in as good as condition as this one. I've seen enough of this style of flask over the years to conclude that it must have been popular in many areas. The wood body is covered in leather, with an sheet iron spout attached, and a simple wood slide to open/close the flask. The interesting feature of these flasks is that the spout is intentionally mounted at an angle - pointing away from the torso while suspended from a belt. Everyone of these I've seen is made almost identical. And I'm sure more than a few members have also seen these over the years at auctions, etc.

I thought I would post this one since it is in such good condition. No cracks in the wood body, no tears in the leather, spount firmly attached with no bends or kinks, all the stiching tight and complete. The flask is in working order. Even the slide is still firm. And a nice patina. Hard to find these in this condition. Thanks for looking.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 06:44 PM   #2
rickystl

COUPLE MORE PICS.....
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Oliver Pinchot

It's not Ottoman. These were made mostly in Afghanistan, and are in turn copies of examples made in northeast Iran.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 10:48 PM   #4
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

I didn't see Oliver's posting and I was about to say the same (it is not that I recognized it, but a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than me recognized it).

Marius
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 11:26 AM   #5
BANDOOK

Here is mine from Afganistan ,but the real one
OLIVER CAN COMMENT ,thanks
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 11:28 AM   #6
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hello all.

Here is a new member to my collection. Most research I've seen refer to this style of flask as Ottoman - generically. Although I have another one, the same style, that came with an Afghan belt. But not in as good as condition as this one. I've seen enough of this style of flask over the years to conclude that it must have been popular in many areas. The wood body is covered in leather, with an sheet iron spout attached, and a simple wood slide to open/close the flask. The interesting feature of these flasks is that the spout is intentionally mounted at an angle - pointing away from the torso while suspended from a belt. Everyone of these I've seen is made almost identical. And I'm sure more than a few members have also seen these over the years at auctions, etc.

I thought I would post this one since it is in such good condition. No cracks in the wood body, no tears in the leather, spount firmly attached with no bends or kinks, all the stiching tight and complete. The flask is in working order. Even the slide is still firm. And a nice patina. Hard to find these in this condition. Thanks for looking.

Rick
RICK NICE ONE,NICE PATINA,CHEERS
Old 14th January 2017, 04:24 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
It's not Ottoman. These were made mostly in Afghanistan, and are in turn copies of examples made in northeast Iran.
Oliver: Thank you for the clarification. I have always been doubtful of the "Ottoman" connection to these flasks. Thanks again.

Rick
Old 14th January 2017, 04:29 PM   #8
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
Here is mine from Afganistan ,but the real one
OLIVER CAN COMMENT ,thanks
Hi Bandook.

I've seen this style also with the iron shut-off in the body of the flask versus the wood at the nozzle. Your's also appears to be in good condition.
It's nice to find these flasks that are not all beat up from field use. LOL

Rick
Old 15th January 2017, 07:11 AM   #9
BANDOOK

TNX RICK ,MOST OF MY ETHNIC ARMS I HAVE IMPORTED FROM U.K ,NOW ITS REALLY DIFFICULY AND EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE,SHIPPING COSTS ME 2 TIMES THE COST OF THE GUN OR ITEM I BUY,SO WONT BE DOING THAT ANYMORE AS THINGS ARE GETTING MORE DIFFICULT
BEST REAGRDS
RAJESH
Old 15th January 2017, 07:42 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Hi Rick,
Nice flask and yes I would also agree that it is Afghani. Here is a one I have with a different style of cutoff. The loop on the left hand side operates the cutoff. This one also identified as Afghani.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 03:34 PM   #11
rickystl

Quote:
TNX RICK ,MOST OF MY ETHNIC ARMS I HAVE IMPORTED FROM U.K ,NOW ITS REALLY DIFFICULY AND EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE,SHIPPING COSTS ME 2 TIMES THE COST OF THE GUN OR ITEM I BUY,SO WONT BE DOING THAT ANYMORE AS THINGS ARE GETTING MORE DIFFICULT
BEST REAGRDS
RAJESH
Hi Rajesh.

A few years ago I imported an antique muzzle loading long gun from the UK. I won't do it again. The mountain of paperwork, emails back and forth, special shippers - and the COST !! And I had to pick it up directly from U.S. Customs - and sign more paperwork. It's a minor nightmare even if you know the procedures. And, I understand that if the muzzle loader is a modern made REPLICA, it is treated the same as a modern cartridge firearm, requiring the assistance of a handful of specially licensed dealers here in the U.S. Unbelievable. I simply don't understand the UK's regulations with muzzle loading guns??? Doesn't make any common sense.

Rick
Old 15th January 2017, 03:40 PM   #12
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Rick,
Nice flask and yes I would also agree that it is Afghani. Here is a one I have with a different style of cutoff. The loop on the left hand side operates the cutoff. This one also identified as Afghani.
Stu
Hi Stu.

Yes, your's appears to operate similar to Rajesh's. I bought this one since it was in such nice condition. And the cutt-off works fine. Nothing to do with this one but put it on display. Although, I have pretty much run out of display romm a long time ago. LOL

Rick
Old 15th January 2017, 06:16 PM   #13
thinreadline

Quote:
Hi Rajesh.

A few years ago I imported an antique muzzle loading long gun from the UK. I won't do it again. The mountain of paperwork, emails back and forth, special shippers - and the COST !! And I had to pick it up directly from U.S. Customs - and sign more paperwork. It's a minor nightmare even if you know the procedures. And, I understand that if the muzzle loader is a modern made REPLICA, it is treated the same as a modern cartridge firearm, requiring the assistance of a handful of specially licensed dealers here in the U.S. Unbelievable. I simply don't understand the UK's regulations with muzzle loading guns??? Doesn't make any common sense.

Rick
Yes Rick it is an absurd nightmare here... if a muzzleloader has been made after 1939 then it is treated as a firearm needing the same licence as say a modern cartridge loading hunting rifle .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 08:02 AM   #14
BANDOOK

Quote:
Hi Rajesh.

Rick
YES RICK,BIG HEADACHE,JUST BOUGHT A VERY LONG TORADOR AT AUCTION,I HAVE SPENT 300 POUNDS AND SHIPPING THEY ARE ASKING 600 POUNDS MORE AS IT NEEDS A DANGEROUS GOODS LICENCE SHIPPER ,SO I WILL GIVE UP ON THE TORADOR AS THEN CUSTOM CHARGES ON GST ,PLUS M.A.F CLEARANCE WOULD MAKE IT HIGHLY EXPENSIVE ONCE IT LANDS INTO NZL,END OF IMPORTS FROM THERE
REGARDS
Old 16th January 2017, 07:14 PM   #15
kahnjar1

Quote:
YES RICK,BIG HEADACHE,JUST BOUGHT A VERY LONG TORADOR AT AUCTION,I HAVE SPENT 300 POUNDS AND SHIPPING THEY ARE ASKING 600 POUNDS MORE AS IT NEEDS A DANGEROUS GOODS LICENCE SHIPPER ,SO I WILL GIVE UP ON THE TORADOR AS THEN CUSTOM CHARGES ON GST ,PLUS M.A.F CLEARANCE WOULD MAKE IT HIGHLY EXPENSIVE ONCE IT LANDS INTO NZL,END OF IMPORTS FROM THERE
REGARDS
Getting a bit off original subject, but surely if one is importing ANYTHING, one needs to establish costs and required documentation associated with shipping BEFORE buying?
As a suggestion can you get the problem piece shipped to someone OUTSIDE the UK but WITHIN the EU for on shipping to you?
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:21 AM   #16
stenoyab

A few I have, also I'd class as Afghan, I really like the small one.
Attached Images

stenoyab is offline   Reply With Quote