Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2005, 08:54 AM   #1
xyroll

Default Keris in Kuala Lumpur

Hi,

Going to KL next month and would like to know a couple of antique or other shops to buy good quality keris swords?
Any info needed
xyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Raja Muda

Smile Blades in KL

You might want to start at Central Market where there are several dealers stocking a mix of genuine antiques, such as keris, sundang, spears, swords as well more recently made keris from Java and Madura. Look for a shop called Kelantan Silver which has a selection of weapons. There's another similar shop upstairs run by the same owner.
Since it's a touristy area, prices can range from fairly OK astronomically unreasonable, so caveat emptor.
Then, there's always Ahmad Toko Antik, a small antiques and curios shop somewhere in Kampung Baru. It's a bit hard to spot so you might want a local to show you the way, it's within the Sunday Market near a block of flats. The old man has a good selection at fairly reasonable prices and you can always stick out your neck and haggle. The owner, Haji Mat, is known among the collecting fraternity here as an old man with an unpredictable temper. On good days, he'll let you have a good keris for a song, on bad ones, he just padlocks the shop saying he's off somewhere. Quite a character.
I'd go there just to savour the experience.
Of course, there's the network of dealers and collectors who don't ply their trade in proper shops, but for that you have to know someone who knows someone, who knows someones cousin's brother's sister in law
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 01:44 PM   #3
rahman

I've not had the fortune of meeting Pak Mat of Kg Baru. I'll be up in KL next week and would try to find the time to do that.

The Central Market is another story. I think the prices are overblown, even by Singapore standards. I would suggest you drive a hard bargain. Put up a thick skin and ask for one third what the shop is offering!!

If you're in KL on Sunday, check out the flea market at Ampcorp Mall in Petaling Jaya. Great cultural stuff at bargain basement prices (the flea market IS in the basement ). Many keris collectors and dealers congregate there in the afternoon, including some of our esteemed members in this forum.
rahman is offline   Reply With Quote