Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Philippine bolo markings?

Hi Guys

A couple of years ago I won a bid on an old bolo possibly WW2 vintage. The bolo had a strange set of markings on the blade which I thought was the makers mark. Last week I picked up another bolo which seemed more recently made and it turns out that it has the same markings on the blade. Can any of you Philippine weapons collectors shed some light on these swords? The bolo on the bottom is the newer of the two.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 03:43 PM   #2
tom hyle

Of course, we can't rule out a single cutler, family or even village, or region/island, all of which what we think of as "maker's marks" have commonly referred to (the running wolf leaps to mind, but is not unique in this. Collective maker marks may well be as common as ones signed for the individual artisan.). I saw this piece too, and thought the mark somewhat singular, and perhaps related to the South/West Asian "eyelash" marks?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Ferguson

Lew, after we talked last night I checked my bolo that is made similar to your newer one. Mine has a C.P. stamped in it. Could that be what your mark is in a more stylized version? Cebu Philippines perhaps?

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 10:03 PM   #4
tom hyle

If anything in the auction pics it looked kind of like two Ps mirror-imaged? But the curved parts and the straight parts don't join?
Old 21st January 2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Steve

If I am not mistaken Cebu is in the south and the bolos seem to be from Luzon in the north?

Lew
Old 21st January 2005, 11:08 PM   #6
Ferguson

Oops.

Here's mine. Obviously new.

Steve

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 04:50 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Steve

That is a nice group of bolos you have. I see what you are talking about the bolo you have is the same construction as mine only yours has a nicer polish to it. I'm sure it's a town or area in the philippines that the mark is indicating and not a particular maker. I will study my maps and see what I come up with.

Lew
Old 22nd January 2005, 07:48 AM   #8
Federico

Ok here is what the CP means. In Pampanga, there was a famous katipunan leader during the Philippine-American war. Like the more famous Bonifacio, he was known for carrying a bolo in battle, but since he was only a provincial hero, he is not more well known. Anyways, that hero's name was Carlos Pedrosa, and so the CP is a stamp in remembrance of him.

Ok, now if you bought that answer I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you for a real good price Im sorry I couldnt resist the little joke. Just to clarify the above story is completely false. Ive noticed two letter markings on a number of different bolos. I believe Ive also seen the AR combination as well. I think Tom is probably on the right track, and it is a regional mark. I know these marks have always struck me as similar in look, in the type of bolo marked, and just vibe as those more ubiquitous stamps of "Philippines" or "Negrito Phil". Perhaps these newer infamous marks are decendents from this practice? It is interesting to see it popping up mostly on Luzon bolos (for some reason I seem to be remembering seeing central bolos on occaision with similar marks, but have no research files to reference on bolo)...? Zel you got some ideas on the significance of the mark, aside from random regional/makers mark?
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 07:50 AM   #9
Federico

Just occured to me could it perhaps stand for "Commonwealth Philippines"...hmmm...that doesnt sound right. For some reason though I have the gut feeling it is tied to something more universal than a makers mark.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 08:04 AM   #10
zelbone

Cavite, Provence?

...right next door to Batangas.
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 12:59 PM   #11
tom hyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico
Just occured to me could it perhaps stand for "Commonwealth Philippines"...hmmm...that doesnt sound right. For some reason though I have the gut feeling it is tied to something more universal than a makers mark.
Perhaps it is the common-ness of it. One sees these things again and again; similar or the same (note the "CP" on Ferguson's new bolo is NOT the same); he wonders what they mean. On the handles of N American knives it is common to find a large letter "V" These knives are not from a single maker. They are cutler-made to home-made. They are found in no particular region. There seems to be no association with "V for victory", as they are most usually butchering knives. What does it mean? Is everyone in US named "Vigor" and I haven't noticed?....puzzles

Last edited by tom hyle; 22nd January 2005 at 02:15 PM.