Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th August 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
T. Koch

Default New mandau

Hi everybody,

I’d like to share my new mandau with you all and if possible get some feedback as to the style of carving or anything else that you feel may be of value. I’ve recently focused my interest from the Asmat of New Guinea to Borneo, so I’m trying to learn as much as I possibly can about the cultural background of the Dayak peoples. On to the Mandau, here are the dry specs:

Overall length: 73 cm

Blade length: 58 cm

Thickness at spine: 7 mm

It was described by the seller as an Iban Mandau from the mid-20th century. Based on the pre-sale pictures I was a little nervous – particularly about the scabbard: In the pictures, the scabbard patina looked suspiciously like the standard “patina” that I’ve seen applied to “antique” Philipine tourist trinkets. Upon reception however, I was pleased to see that the scabbard has good patina and realistic signs of heavy wear. I now think the scabbard is at least from the same period if not original to the blade. It comes without both the small knife (ilang, right?) and belt attachment, however, as far as I know this is not unheard of concerning 20th century mandaus?

The handle is carved from one piece of wood with wound brass thread and tufts of hair like only humans grow them. It seems as if the tufts come from 4 different individuals or at least from 4 different locks. The handle is in very good condition with only minor damage – one of the bottom leeches on one side has broken off, but the damage is very old and now almost invisible.

The blade has a fileworked spine and 7 round brass plugs near the tip. Just above the ricasso, the blade is incised with several bands and two additional brass plugs. Although it is hard to see in the image, the spine of the blade is actually not straight, but slightly concave… This puzzles me a bit, as I thought that mandaus by definition had a straight spine, while only jimpuls have a curved one? If anybody could elaborate on this, I would be very grateful!

Anyway, I hope you like the photos and I’ll appreciate any input. I wish you all the best of weekends and for those among us celebrating the Eid these days – I wish you an awesome feast too!

All the best, - Thor

Handle.

Other side of handle - note broken off leech.

- a candidate for the 'Mandau Face Gallery'? - note broken leech in lower left side.

Up close.

More handle.

Ends - note brass plugs and broken off scabbard tip.
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote