Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2017, 04:55 AM   #1
Nathaniel

Default What do you use to polish your....Silver :) Also what was used historically? & wax?

Hello all,

Along the same lines as a thread I had posted years ago:

"What kind of oil do you use for your blades?"
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11100

But instead what do you use to polish the silver on your antique weapons? I know talking to collectors over the years they all have something different they like to use.

Then afterwards what kind of wax do you use? I think I had touched on this in a thread before...have to find it or maybe someone will find it.

Then to add a little more interesting historical twist, do you know what was used historically in your region of weapons interest?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 05:01 AM   #2
Nathaniel

For me, I've used those silver jewelry cloths for polishing.

For wax, I've used Renaissance Wax, but after some discussions with an professional antique restorator, I switched to natural Brazilian carnauba wax, (Trewax Pastewax)....and for the silver polish, Metarex Polishing Cloth was recommended which I have yet to try.

In Thailand, traditionally one method of silver polishing was using the natural fiber of the tamarind (fruit)
Old 27th February 2017, 10:59 AM   #3
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Hello,

You may want to check this link (from Victoria & Albert Museum):

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/article...r-your-silver/
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Goddards Slver dip and ball of cotton wool. Very gentle no polishing wear, no residue stuck in details.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 05:29 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I use SimichromeŽ for brass and silver. A wooden toothpick is perfect for getting into the nooks and crannies of repoussed silver and for removing any remnants of the paste. This was recommended by conservators at several small museums that I have worked with.

I've tried Goddards silver dip and it works well too. A bit messy and liquid for my liking.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 06:40 PM   #6
kahnjar1

GODDARDS SILVER CLOTH. No residue and not harsh. The Goddards Silver Dip in my experience tends to be much harsher than the cloth, and also needs to be completely flushed off after use. I guess products like SILVO are OK also but they do leave a pinkish residue in recesses, which is not always easy to remove.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:23 AM   #7
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Hello,

You may want to check this link (from Victoria & Albert Museum):

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/article...r-your-silver/
Thanks Mariusgmioc for the link
Old 28th February 2017, 02:46 PM   #8
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Hello all,

But instead what do you use to polish the silver on your antique weapons?

Then afterwards what kind of wax do you use? I think I had touched on this in a thread before...have to find it or maybe someone will find it.
Hello Nathaniel,

for very dark silver pieces "Gundelputz" because it contains no abrasives. This means no scratches at all.

And as wax I use "Interflon Spray Wax", one can spray it in the smallest gaps. A very fine stuff, especially for guns.

For wood and leather I have a special German bee- and carnauba wax for high quality furniture, which is not available via the Internet.

If you buy wax, it is imho important to buy wax with a high viscosity similar like shoe cream. This makes the job much easier.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 06:00 PM   #9
Nathaniel

Thanks Ibrahiim I like hearing about traditional silver cleaning methods and hope that a few more members will chime in about this not just modern products.

Roland, thank you very much for the detailed information.

I just remembered too an earlier discussion:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...8&postcount=13
Old 28th February 2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Roland, thank you very much for the detailed information.

I just remembered too an earlier discussion:
Thank you Nathaniel,

if you are interested in the German wax (Hartmann-Pflege) I mentioned, send me a pm, I can order it for you, it is not very expensive and for leather and wood imho better than Renaissance wax, which I also tried out. I think Renaissance wax is too stiff.

Alan Maiseys tip for wood is awesome! First polish the wood with metal polish (Gundelputz), which gives you a mirror finish and brings out every detail in the wood, you will be surprised. After that apply a little bit of the german wax. This produces an amazing natural finish and is very good for the wood.

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:29 AM   #11
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
Thank you Nathaniel,

if you are interested in the German wax (Hartmann-Pflege) I mentioned, send me a pm, I can order it for you, it is not very expensive and for leather and wood imho better than Renaissance wax, which I also tried out. I think Renaissance wax is too stiff.

Alan Maiseys tip for wood is awesome! First polish the wood with metal polish (Gundelputz), which gives you a mirror finish and brings out every detail in the wood, you will be surprised. After that apply a little bit of the german wax. This produces an amazing natural finish and is very good for the wood.

Roland

Many Thank Roland for passing on Alan's tip for wood.

That is interesting to hear about Gundelputz having no abrasives. I'm thinking about your kind offer. Thank you Roland.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 2nd March 2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:42 AM   #12
Nathaniel

Roland, have you heard of Metarex polishing cloth? It seems to be a German product. A professional conservator recommended it. He said his family (multi generational art conservators) had used Metarex for many years. At present it seems to be marketed for polishing silver frets of guitars and other musical instruments hardware.
Attached Images