Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2017, 12:27 AM   #1
ariel

Sorry if I was less than precise.
By monosteel I mean truly uniform industrial grade European steel manufactured under tight conditions and with meticulous quality control. They did not require additional homogenization. Surely, lower quality steel manufactured in rather primitive and poorly controlled conditions will have variable composition in different areas. But monosteel Solingen, Birmingham and Zlatoust blades did not delaminate. Damascus gun barrels from Liege did, simply because they were deliberately composed of bars with different carbon content.

And yes, the seam on the spine might look like delamination. But not quite. The edges of the ingot with most impurities, slag and variable composition just could not be fused when forged under low temperatures needed for wootz. More precisely, it is not a delamination ( which implies past good lamination ), but an almost inavoidable defect of forging. They can be barely noticeable or ugly as hell. I have several wootz blades with them.

Last edited by ariel; 2nd December 2017 at 04:27 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:38 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

Hello Ariel,

I doubt that the crack in Bryce's blade is a manufacturing flaw. If it were, it would have been repaired with some bronze filling. I still believe it is a crack that appeared much later in the blade's life as a result of delamination. However, which of us is right would be rather impossible to check without a careful metallographic examination.

Moreover, even if it were a forging flaw, the precise forging process that involves fusing the edges of an ingot that was bent over itself is "lamination." So even of the defect appeared during the process itself, it would still be "delamination." Well at least that's how we called them during our metallurgy classes at the university.

Cheers!

Marius
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:20 PM   #3
ariel

You might be correct.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 10:59 AM   #4
shastardhari

Very nice sir
shastardhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 12:48 AM   #5
Bryce

G'day Guys,

I came across another image of the Lion Pictogram on a Persian blade. Very similar to mine, although a little better done. Again it shows that "face" peering over the lion's back, but in more detail this time.

Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 04:37 AM   #6
Bryce

G'day Guys,
I have often wondered what sort of material the grip is made from. It appears to be some sort of horn. Can any one shed some light on what sort of horn it is likely to be?
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote