Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th June 2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Greg

Default some help with id of african knife

Hello,
I'm new member here. I need some help to id my african knife. I have some suggest mine, but I would like to know yours. The knife were collected probably before 1900. The lenght is 44,5cm, materials: iron, brass, wood, leather.
Attached Images

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Very nice. The nearest referance to this form I have is Yakoma, Ngbandi NorthWest Congo. I am sure somebody will have better information. My African collection was like a high value bank note in your wallet. No desire to brake it. Then eventually it happens. Now it is rather scatterd but I still have some nice pieces.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 03:48 PM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi

Very interesting piece, I havn't seen this type before. With the leather covered handle and those brass rings, I am going to vote for Northern Cameroons or Northern Nigeria...

Would be interested if anyone can find a reference.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Greg

Hi, thanks for reply. This knife coming from ex Guido T.Poppe collection, but it was probably not correct described as "Southern Sudan/R.C.A." (no tribe). I sent the pictures before to two friends collectors and both they said same as it's from northern Cameroon/Nigeria, but nobody knows the tribe.
Old 1st July 2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Greg, and welcome to the forum! Thank you for posting this, as we very much appreciate those who do post and share items for discussions as well as those who join in with observations and contribute to discussions. While African weapons are not my usual field of study, I did do some looking to add some information pending the arrival here of the experts

This most unusual bifurcated or horned pommel seems key to this piece, and I agree it is not something typically seen with African weapons. The closest thing I can find similar has this very type of pommel, and is attributed to the Bali people from the Bamenda regions of Cameroon ("African Weapons", W.Fischer & M.Zirngibl, Passau, 1978, p.36). Bamenda is now the capital of Cameroon's Northwest Province which of course indicates its location in the country.

What is most interesting is that the poignard type blade on this is more of the style seen on weapons from Zaire ("Beaute Fatale", Brussels, 1992) as is the centrilinear motif with the use of repeated triple shallow arcs in a rocker style linear. The cuff type guard on the hilt which shoulders the blade is also well known throughout Central Africa Congo regions.

On the Cameroon weapons shown from these Northwest regions they are typically swords with blades which have curious bellied shapes in the middle and squared tips, far from this type of poignard blade. This simply suggests of course the diffusion of many of these weapons with the extensive trade and intertribal contact over many years. If the knife was collected just prior to 1900 it suggests possibly this was during the German colonial activity there during the late 19th century and the British administration which took place post WWI in which Cameroon and Nigeria were largely aligned together.

Returning to the interesting pommel style, this also quite possibly may have been associated with some anthromorphic and bifurcated stylizations from Zaire (Congo) along with many of thier sword tips which use semi circular shapes in bifurcated configuration. This might also align with the shallow arcs in the central linear design.

These are the best clues I can come up with, but the leatherwork and the comparison to this type hilt certainly suggest NW Cameroon, along with most interesting influences possibly derived from Zaire.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

I found two references early today but know can only find this one. I am interested in the wire tips on the pommel? Colin makes a very good point. The fact is the the people mentioned all border the what is today Cameroon. How much cross tribal culture there has been is a possible explination for the daggers mixed form.

From " Panga Na Visy " Zirngibl/Kubetz
Attached Images

Old 2nd July 2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Greg

Hi, thanks a lot for help and suggest. Jim it was very interesting notice.
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Hi, thanks for reply. This knife coming from ex Guido T.Poppe collection, but it was probably not correct described as "Southern Sudan/R.C.A." (no tribe). I sent the pictures before to two friends collectors and both they said same as it's from northern Cameroon/Nigeria, but nobody knows the tribe.

Anything on the Bali?
Old 3rd July 2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Anything on the Bali?
I found it in Brussels.
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:43 PM   #10
colin henshaw

I remembered this sword I had some years ago, and have been able to dig out this old polaroid of it. Apologies for the fuzzy image, but you can see the general similarity to the handle.

Regards.
Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
I remembered this sword I had some years ago, and have been able to dig out this old polaroid of it. Apologies for the fuzzy image, but you can see the general similarity to the handle.

Regards.
Interesting sword Colin, what is it?
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
I found it in Brussels.
Thanks Greg, is there something to do with Bali in Brussels?
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:09 PM   #13
Greg

Quote:
Thanks Greg, is there something to do with Bali in Brussels?
I'm sorry I don't understand
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Iain

Other Bali and similar regional pieces previously posted on the forums for comparison:

http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7547

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=183

Personally I think Greg's piece is undoubtedly from the same area. The natural defensive geography of the Nigeria/Cameroon border area led to many diverse peoples coming into close contact in a relatively small area, often fleeing the Islamic kingdoms of the Sahel.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:16 PM   #15
colin henshaw

I was never 100% sure where it was from, most likely Northern Nigeria/Northern Cameroon/Lake Chad area...

That shape of blade with the narrowing near the tip, reminded me of some Takouba type swords also to be found in those areas. But the blade was as I remember quite heavy, with a thickish cross-section, of native made iron, not a trade blade. The tips to the handle were bound with brass wire, like Greg's example. Handle and sheath leather covered.

Regards.

Quote:
Interesting sword Colin, what is it?
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Tim Simmons

The blade on Gregs piece could almost be Zande? CAR?
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:00 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't understand
Sorry for being so laconic...in your post #9 you responded to my question regarding information on the Bali by saying you got the weapon in Brussels and I could not see the connection. While laconic responses are popular around here I'm not too good at them sorry.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 4th July 2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Greg

Quote:
Sorry for being so laconic...in your post #9 you responded to my question regarding information on the Bali by saying you got the weapon in Brussels and I could not see the connection. While laconic responses are popular around here I'm not too good at them sorry.

Best regards,
Jim

Dear Jim, I'm sorry it's my fault, sure there is no connection... I did not understand well... I don't know why, but I did not think about Bali as on the tribe... Last my days coming so fast...
regards Greg
Old 5th July 2011, 03:36 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

No problem Greg, miscommunications happen all the time so thanks for the understanding....looks like Tim's examples are pretty close match.....nice weapon you have shown here.

All the best,
Jim