Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 25th July 2009, 01:57 AM   #1
mykeris

Default Motifs found on Si Ginjai Keris ?

Perhaps someone could identify motifs found on this Si Ginjai blade, the famous Keris Palembang presented by Sultan Agung. Pls focus on these two golden looking animals on the blade. What are those symbols for? Is it similar to Singa-Gajah symbols found in some of the Javanese kerises. Thanks in advance, Mykeris.
Attached Images

mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:02 AM   #2
mykeris

Default Additional pics

Si Ginjai
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeris
What are those symbols for? Is it similar to Singa-Gajah symbols found in some of the Javanese kerises..
Dear Mykeris,
It is similar, but IMHO not the same. Similar in intention (to commemorate certain years or date), but not with the same symbols. This famous "Si Ginjai" keris (now it belongs to the collection of National Museum of Indonesia in Jakarta) IMHO had been given to Jambi ruler in the past to commemorate certain relation, between Jawa kingdom and Sumatra.

Let us trace the meaning of the Si Ginjai kinatah, as the way we trace the meaning of "Gajah Singa" (elephant and lion) motifs in Sultan-Agung "kinatah" (gold ornament in keris blade). The "gajah singa" kinatah was made as a commemoration of the extinguishing of certain rebellion in the district of Pragola, Pati in the northern coast of Central Java. IMHO, the kinatah was awarded to honorable people who help in extinguishing the rebellion.

The "sengkalan" or "candra sengkala" (certain phrase, consists of four nouns that has contains meaning of "numbers") from such symbols of "gajah singa" could be read as "gajah singa keris siji" (or gajah-singa in one keris). Gajah or elephant symbolizes number "8", Singa or lion symbolizes "5", keris means "5" and siji means "1". The javanese way to read "candra sengkala" is to reverse the number of the "sengkalan" -- 8551 then you must read it in reverse way 1558 "javanese year" or lunar year. If you count in Christian year or Masehi, then you must add "78 years different" -- 1558+78 = 1636 M -- it was the years when the troops of Sultan Agung -- King of Mataram -- extinguished the Pragola rebellion 1636 M...

The "sengkalan" of Si Ginjai or Si Ginjei? I have no reference. But, from the motifs you show on your pictures (fortunately, I was lucky too -- to be able to grip the keris directly and take some photos with the permission of the Museum last year -- my pictures below) it shows kinatah "singa singa", or two lions. Maybe, it could be read as "singa singa keris siji" or two singa in one keris. Thus in javanese "candra sengkala" it symbolizes numbers of "5551". Read it in reverse, then it means "1555" javanese calender, and in Christian year 1555+78 = 1633 M... Maybe the kinatah in Si Ginjai keris was to commemorate something, on the year of 1633 M, I don't know...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 26th July 2009 at 05:20 PM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 03:06 AM   #4
ganjawulung

These are more pictures of my photos on Si Ginjai....
Pls See also this thread on Si Ginjai:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=ginjai

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 26th July 2009 at 08:16 AM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 10:36 AM   #5
mykeris

Default Logical & Great Info

I thank you for this great information especially the formula used: Gajah-Singa and Singa Singa. However, I found one Kinatah Palembang Keris that has only One Singa on the upper blade and the other Singa attached to the lower blade as compared to SiGinjai having Singa-Singa on the upper blade while another Singa-Singa on the lower part? Or maybe, its just the same as long as you have the Singa!