Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 24th September 2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Jambiya hilted Koummya

Hhhmmmm, any ideas or guesses

7&1/2 inch strong blade, just over 11 inches in total.

Carved wooden handle, brass wire bound to the waist, brass pommel cap with 3 raised nibs and a mother of pearl button on each side.

Most unusual....
Attached Images

Old 26th September 2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default I am guessing you are all as stumped as I am.....

I am guessing you are all as stumped as I am.....any ideas on origins and influence of the design on the blade.

Gav
Old 26th September 2008, 01:23 AM   #3
katana

No ideas, but the belt loop on the scabbard seems strange. Most Arabic scabbards are held within the waist sash....negating the need for a loop On that basis...perhaps North African

Regards David
Old 26th September 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
ariel

The carnation flower on the blade looks Turkish
Old 26th September 2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys.

So what would you all call this most unusual knife? My first thoughts were north African with Arabian influences...maybe another region with Arabian and North African influences???
Can other images of the carnation flower in this form be shown? I am interested in that line of thinking.

Gav
Old 27th September 2008, 03:44 PM   #6
ward

generally when you sell something it is usually not good form to ask for info on forum and then put it up immediatly on swap forum. It basically makes the forum a sales platform. I beleive this is one reason why replies to post get less and less

Last edited by ward; 27th September 2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 27th September 2008, 11:49 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Hi Ward

Hi Ward,

I never thought of this as a reason but it could possibly be another reason why, I see many do it though.

In future I will try to only offer up what I personally wish to keep in my collections, even though a lot of stuff comes my way that I do not wish to keep, I do however wish to gain further knowledge about those items, would it be more to taste to use other forums to gain knowledge, in turn restricting the knowledge base here in this forum then offer anything both here and ebay if they are not my direct area of collection. To date I have remained faithful to this resource site due to a number of reasons.

I would be interested to hear others views on the concern noted.

thanks

Gav
Old 28th September 2008, 12:05 AM   #8
ward

this is not my forum so that is just a opinion. I am a dealer and collector so I draw a line for myself on that question others may feel different. I like helping collectors but why should I help a seller who is using my knowledge on a piece to make it easier to sell.
Old 28th September 2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

Personally I would have let month or so go by before offering something for sale. This would have given you time to acquire some more information on a piece some of which may change your mind about selling it. Now this is all I can say since you are offering the above piece for sale and the rules are members can't discuss items for that are up for sale on the forum. So if you wish to continue this topic you should start a new thread about the subject. Please can the moderator lock this thread until the piece in question is sold or taken off the swap forum.

Thanks

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 28th September 2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 28th September 2008, 03:54 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Lew

Thanks Lew,

I will keep it in mind, if the subject needs to be locked so be it, I aggree processes need to be learned or reminded of at least. It is not my forte but I do want to learn more about most things that pass through my hands.
This piece came to me as a native knife/s along with a Kindjal.. I like kindjals so it is a keeper, jambiya's are not my thing but knowledge to me is important and it is unusual so I wish to know...that's all, it isn't a selling point, any item does not need a selling point if one collects those particular items.

Gav
Old 28th September 2008, 05:22 AM   #11
TVV

Ward has a good point here. Sometimes we see threads with questions about identification, only to later see the items put on eBay. When this happens, I believe most of us here are left feeling that our knowledge and desire to help have been abused.
To avoid this, one can just make it clear before hand that the item may be soon for sale. This way the intentions are clear.
Of course, it can always happen to anyone to decide to part with an item discussed here at some point in the future. So I do not think there should be a rule that items discussed here should never be put for sale or swap. What really hurts is when immediately after the discussion, once all the possible information from this forum has been gathered, we see the sword or dagger on eBay. In other words, when it becomes obvious that the interest of the poster was only in selling the item.
In your case, Gav, I actually appreciate it that you put the item here and gave all of us a first chance at it. I am sure you were not trying to use the forum as a sales platform, but as I wrote earlier - when one has intentions of disposing of something, making those intentions clear from the beginning is the best and honest way to go.
Regards,
Teodor
Old 28th September 2008, 05:32 AM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Teodor

Thanks Teodor, I will be sure to make all intentions clear for future postings.

regards

Gav
Old 28th September 2008, 11:41 AM   #13
RSWORD

My recommendation would be to start the post in the swap forum and state that you would like to sell the object but first learn a bit more about it before establishing a price. That way, anyone that feels comfortable sharing information about the piece can do so and you accomplish both learning about the piece as well as providing the forum community first dibs which is always appreciated.
Old 28th September 2008, 05:09 PM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Default very well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
My recommendation would be to start the post in the swap forum and state that you would like to sell the object but first learn a bit more about it before establishing a price. That way, anyone that feels comfortable sharing information about the piece can do so and you accomplish both learning about the piece as well as providing the forum community first dibs which is always appreciated.
Thanks Rick, very well put, I will try this in future as there are a another half dozen items yet to leave my possesion to make way for my first love, Chinese weaponry.

thanks

Gav
Old 28th September 2008, 05:15 PM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Default After a little more digging..

After a little more digging, I may even be inclined to call it a Jile from the Afar tribe/s.

Any thoughts.
Old 28th September 2008, 09:54 PM   #16
Andrew

Quote:
If you are the seller of an item or have any financial or personal relationship with the seller of an item which, to the most paranoid among us, could constitute a conflict of interest, then any post you initiate about such item belongs in the swap forum. If your only interest or connection is as a potential bidder or buyer of the item, this restriction does not apply, however, you agree to hold all forum members acting in good faith harmless, should you base any purchase decision upon information from such a discussion.

If someone else has initiated discussion on any item for which the preceding paragraph applies in your case, you may reply to and participate in the discussion, but must in each such reply include a statement of your actual or potential commercial interest in the item.

There is no enforceable external legal constraint against posting an object for discussion in a forum such as ours and later deciding to sell the item and posting a link to the discussion in the forums. However, if a forum member does this without having received the permission of the authors of the relevant posts in advance for such commercial use of their remarks, this constitutes grounds for cancellation of the offender's forum registration.
Gav, please read the rules thread again.
Closed Thread