Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Disturbedone2004

Default My new Buys, tell me what you think

Just recently bought this one, and recently got off a mandatory 10-day suspension for posting active auctions . Tell me what you think of this keris / kris. From what i know of it, it is supposed to be only 100 years old or so and it was given to the seller by his grandpa. I don't really know if it is that old but i bought it really based on its appearance (i'm shallow like that).
Attached Images

Disturbedone2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
ariel

I know nothing about Kris, but just a perfunctory glance suggests to me that it is a tourist trap.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Welcome back ...

Good to have you back. Again, we ask that everyone read the posting instructions at the top of the Forum page. We don't like having to enforce the rules, but they are there to protect the Forum and its Members -- 'nough said.

About your keris. Well, there are many here who are better informed than I am about keris, but I think you have a recently made example that has been "aged" a little in its appearance.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Disturbedone2004

Default Thank you

Thank both of you for your replies, I agree with both of you and kind of thought it was more recent than the seller had claimed, but he also siad he knew nothing of keris/kris and made no promises.

But I guess it really doesn't matter too much to me, i am not a collector and i bought this piece solely as decoration. I posted this just to see if anyone knew anything i should know about it ( though I know that it is really hard to judge it without seeing it in person).

Thanks in advance to anyone else who posts on this.

Chance
Old 23rd April 2006, 03:08 AM   #5
Emanuel

Hello,
I think yours might be an upper-class cousin of mine. How long is it? This one has a 20cm blade. There're traces of green/blue in the blade and the hilt is fixed, correct? In my case it is a tourist example. Unfortunately yours looks to be the same.

Regards,
Manolo
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 03:12 AM   #6
Alam Shah

disturbedone, I agree with ariel and Ian. This is a recently-made piece trying to look old. Normally you'll hear a lot of stories pieces associated with this type of bone fittings keris.

The blade is a mass-produced tourist type.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 03:43 AM   #7
micas

Alam Shah:

Are these types peculiar to a certain region?

Because I've seen similar shoddy pieces being sold online from someone in Malaysian Borneo.
micas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 03:58 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas
Alam Shah:

Because I've seen similar shoddy pieces being sold online from someone in Malaysian Borneo.
Indonesia in general .

An educated buyer is an astute buyer .
If you would collect antique arms first buy books .
Also buy from honest Sellers .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 04:04 AM   #9
Disturbedone2004

Arrow Yeah i think they were seperated at birth

Yeah, i think it is a cousin of your blade there Manolo, its blade is about 20cm give or take, I haven't really cleaned it up to see the traces of color in the blade (and now i will clean it up since it is a recently made mass produced product).

I know that value is a touchy thing on this forum sometimes, but if you don't mind, Manolo, how much did you give for that one in US$?

Since everyone agrees that it is recently made is there anyway to find out how recently it was made? I figure it is going to be hard to pinpoint the age of this one but i am going to say it is around 20 years or so.

Chance

Last edited by Disturbedone2004; 23rd April 2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 23rd April 2006, 04:09 AM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Probably less .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 04:17 AM   #11
Disturbedone2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Indonesia in general .

An educated buyer is an astute buyer .
If you would collect antique arms first buy books .
Also buy from honest Sellers .
Again, i am not collecting, i was just buying this as a decorative piece and i am now curious as to its origin and such.

Thank you for your post and advice though.

Chance
Old 23rd April 2006, 09:59 AM   #12
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbedone2004
Since everyone agrees that it is recently made is there anyway to find out how recently it was made? I figure it is going to be hard to pinpoint the age of this one but i am going to say it is around 20 years or so.

Chance

Rick told you less. Rick is friendly. I would say last week. In this forum we don't discuss money, but the item. Nevertheless I hope you didn't payed to much, but everything you payed for this one was too much, sorry.

If it comforts you, almost every collector started in this way.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas
Alam Shah:

I don't know where it originated. But I've seen an authentic piece in Balinese dress. The real ones are rather rare.

The touristy ones are plenty online...and the seller you mentioned seems to have plenty of these...
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 01:23 PM   #14
micas

Alam Shah: I PM'd you. Thnx.
micas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 10:03 PM   #15
Disturbedone2004

Default It's Over

Well this should only be viewed to get an idea of what not to do for the new collectors. I got my money back since the seller made false claims on the Keris (should have known this though, never seen a real one with gold adornments and i doubt i ever will).

Thank you to everyone who helped me identify this keris as a tourist peice posing as an antique.

Also i have other weapons such as arrowheads, stone knives, and a really old shotgun that i know aren't fakes, not sure if they are allowed on this site, but if they are i will put up some pics.

Chance