Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th January 2006, 02:35 AM   #1
ariel

Default Dha? Daab? Darb?

Just now saw Mark Bowditch's comment on another forum re. pronounciation of the D-word.
About 2 years ago, I came up with "Dahb", but was outvoted, ignored and overall sneered at (I am stll seething ).
The reason for this transliteration:
1. Several of my Thai friends could not fathom what did I mean by Dha, Dah or Darb (with open A still sullied with traces of R). Only when I said Dahb (open A without R) did they smile and said that, yes, sure, this is a name for a Thai sword.
2, Why Dahb? I was inspired by the exaggerated Bostonian accent: "Ah pahked mah cah" If they can use it in Hahvahd, we can use it too and sound mahvelously Brahmin ( and a bit more Tha-ish, too)
Mahk, what do you think?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 02:57 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

As a member of an old Puritan Massachusetts family I can assure you Ariel that there are (and always will be) Brahmins in : " Boston , the home of the Bean and the Cod where the Forbes's speak only to Cabots and the Cabots speak only to God . "

Obviously the Thai are descendants of Bostonians or visa versa .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Just now saw Mark Bowditch's comment on another forum re. pronounciation of the D-word.
About 2 years ago, I came up with "Dahb", but was outvoted, ignored and overall sneered at (I am stll seething ).
The reason for this transliteration:
1. Several of my Thai friends could not fathom what did I mean by Dha, Dah or Darb (with open A still sullied with traces of R). Only when I said Dahb (open A without R) did they smile and said that, yes, sure, this is a name for a Thai sword.
2, Why Dahb? I was inspired by the exaggerated Bostonian accent: "Ah pahked mah cah" If they can use it in Hahvahd, we can use it too and sound mahvelously Brahmin ( and a bit more Tha-ish, too)
Mahk, what do you think?
I'm forever screwing things up and mispronouncing names and words I've only seen in print. (One of the many problems inherent in studying these things in books and over the internet. ). In fact, you may recall a couple years ago when, to my chagrine, I presented an Ayutthaya Thai sword at Timonium and referred to it as a "dha" until Philip Tom gently corrected me in front of god and everyone.

As Rick tends to remind me, it's good to pick the phone up every so often and actually talk with other collectors.

Oh, and everyone shouted down your "dahb" idea because you talk funny. (But not as funny as Rick. ).
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 06:45 AM   #4
ariel

Q: Why do Americans pronounce "schedule" as "sk-edule" instead of correct British : "sh-edule"?
A: That's how they learned it in "sh-ool".
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

BTW Ariel : "Ah pahked mah cah" is in fact incorrect (although it might be the way Mark bowditch would say it as a confused Yankee that moved South) .

We would say " Eye pahrked my cahr " there is a hint of a vestigial 'r' left in there .

But if you ever visit Boston leave your trailing 'g's' at home 'cause yer goin to Bahstin ta do some partyin' .
Old 27th January 2006, 09:45 AM   #6
drdavid

Hey Rick
Quote:
the Forbes's speak only to Cabots and the Cabots speak only to God
is that a line of Robert Lowell poetry or just a saying from the home of the Red Sox. Excuse my ignorance I am just a downunder Aussie.
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 02:55 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

LOL ; never read Lowell ; guess I'll have to now .
I don't know if he scribbled that or if it's just traditional .

BTW Here's an interesting book :
Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World

" Tis a wonder to be in Boston ,
The home of the bean and the cod .
Where the Forbes speak only to Cabots,
And the Cabots speak only to God ."