Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Alexander

Default 1796 PATTERN LIGHT CAVALRY OFFICER'S SWORD

Dear friends. I HAVE A SWORD 1796 PATTERN LIGHT CAVALRY OFFICER'S. WHO CAN TELL MORE PRECISELY DATE OF MANUFACTURING OF THIS SWORD?
Respect, Alexander.
Attached Images

Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! an extremely nice M1796 at that!!! This hilt seems very much like the higher end examples which were I believe produced by Prosser. I would need to dig out notes, but these were of course private purchase so never had the usual government acceptance stamps. Most of these seem to have been produced around 1810, and the hilt is similar to the rare 10th Hussars officers pattern in style but that type had a special escutcheon on the guard with the feathers for Prince of Wales.

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 29th March 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Atlantia

Beautiful sword Alexander. Congratulations!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Alexander

Dear Jim. If probably send a photo 10th Hussars officers pattern. Respect, Alexander.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Carl M

That's a beautiful, rare example!
Carl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 02:37 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Here it is Alexander, from Robson revised "Swords of the British Army".
The 10th Hussar pattern as shown is extremely rare, and as explained by Robson as well as a number of other references, were specially designed for these officers. The distinct characteristics in the hilt such as the squared corner inset at the root of the knucklebow are of course much as seen on yours.
As these are known to have been produced by Prosser by special commission from the Prince of Wales, it well illustrates the status of this maker. Your sabre seems to reflect some of the earlier characteristics of these hilts.Prosser was probably already using the form when the design replacing the heater type shield ecusson with Prince of Wales feathers came about around 1807.

These are my opinions and I hope that Richard Dellar, who is the true authority on these British regulation rarities will see this and come in.

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 1st April 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Ian Knight

Beautiful P1796 Alexander.

Ian
Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Alexander, I just wanted to reiterate that what I am saying about the 10th Hussar sabre is that the majority of these (which is around 27 of around 41 made) were made by Prosser. Since they carry certain distinct characteristics that are seen in your sabre I am suggesting that it might have been sort of a prototype for what became this custom design for the officers of the 10th Hussars and very well might have been made by Prosser prior to around 1807.

I do hope we might learn more about this sabres provenance as these are truly one of the most exciting patterns of the British cavalry sword, and are known to have remained in use longer than often believed. As far as the regulation patterns in the British army, this was officially the first pattern light cavalry sabre (despite the M1788 being well established ). It was superceded officially by the M1821 light cavalry sabre (M1822 for officers) but the M1796 retained its favor long afterwards, particularly in India and some of the other colonial regions as well as yeomanry units.

Ian, its great to see you! I had mentioned Richard in noting particular expertise in British regulation swords, and should have mentioned you as well.
You have always seemed to come up with amazing examples of the British cavalry patterns, and your posts through the years are full of outstanding reading on them.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 26th April 2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Richard

Hello Jim and all, sorry to come late into this thread. Here are two swords both by Prosser which have pretty similar hilts. Both have etched blades rather than blue & gilt. The top sword bears the markings of the 16th Queen's Light Dragoons (XVI QLD) and is by Prosser Maker to the Prince Regent. That positively dates it between 1811 when the regency was declared and January 1816 when the 16LD were converted to Lancers. The second sword belonged to an officer of the 1st regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry. I date this around 1818 - 1827.

So Alexander, you have a 1796 light cavalry sword with a hilt in the style of Prosser which I would date about 1814-15. The blade decoration (from the little we can see) however does look distinctly un-British. Is there a GR cipher? or Royal Arms?

Hey Jim, how are you keeping?

Richard.
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Richard

And Jim, here's a better photo of Lambton's sword
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 11:54 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Richard,
Thank you so much for coming in!!! and especially for sharing the photos of these fantastic swords, especially Lambtons.
All the very best,
Jim