Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2016, 04:49 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Nice Ceremonial/Dress Coorg Pichangetti With All the "Bells and Whistles"

Coorg pichangettis are rare enough under any circumstances, but imagine my excitement when I saw this one!

This example is mounted with ivory scales with hilt mounts(pommel cap, top star motif, and rivet caps) in gold (looks low grade), with a real silver bolster. The scabbard is wood mounted with silver fittings dressed in matching gold wire and gold chape terminal cap. The gold decorations to the chape are applied separately to the silver and may be later additions, or perhaps this is a presentation piece or gift. Note the initials "C.P.R." (...which, by the way, is what I needed when I saw it!) to the gold plate above the crossed ayda kattis and also on the silver plate above the personal tools.

The heavy silver chain leads to a "belt" of silver "tear drops" culminating in the silver plate, hook, and silver personal tools, plus an interesting charm in the form of a Coorg ayda katti. Note also the silver lined tang between the scales and the more usual silver "steps" inserted into the tang.

I am assuming this is a late 19th to mid 20th century piece, but would love any input on its possible age.

I am even more curious as to how these were worn and wonder if any of our members may have access to a period photo of one being worn correctly???

Dimensions:
Overall length, minus accoutrements: 12.25in.
Blade length: 6.5in.
Blade width at the widest point: 1.5in.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 4th June 2016 at 06:09 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Lovely knife Charles.

Here are some pictures off the web of a Coorgi wedding with men in traditional dress (including their silver knives).

Ian
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 07:51 PM   #3
CharlesS

AWESOME pics Ian!!! This is not at all the way I expected it to be worn. Great info! It reminds me a bit of the modern wear of Indonesian keris and Arab jambiyas.

If you look at the examples in the bottom two photos, you can see some of the exact same motifs as the one I have posted here.

I wonder if these knives become family heirlooms?

The Coorg have clearly updated their beer and drinks menu...
...and I would sure love to be at that buffet!
Old 4th June 2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

This is one of the nicest examples I have seen!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Yes it really are very interisting pictures - thanks for showing.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 09:59 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Charles,

congrats, what a beautiful piece now when polished up. Now I know where it went!

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Nice piece Charles.

They have indeed become family heirlooms and are much sought after in Coorg circles. I have been lucky enough to have been given native insight in to these knives.

I quote directly from one email;"Piche-katti means handy knife. We grow coffee, rice and coconuts back in Coorg and in the old days they used it to harvest paddy and today the knife is used to break open coconuts in a wedding as a part of the welcome ceremony", unquote...images of the ceremony were supplied to me that I cannot share here.
Quote, "Every Coorg man gets one done when he gets marries and I got one done a couple years ago(see attached)", unquote...again, I cannot share the images here.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

On the utensil line up this silver jewellery also contains an ear spoon...!!
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 03:12 PM   #9
CharlesS

[QUOTE="Every Coorg man gets one done when he gets marries and I got one done a couple years ago(see attached)", unquote...again, I cannot share the images here.

Gavin[/QUOTE]

Gavin,

That's interesting info. It would make one believe that you would see more of these pichangettis around, but as family heirlooms...and they must take them seriously as such...that may explain their relative scarcity.
Old 5th June 2016, 04:48 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

The coconut was used in more than one way in India in the old times. Here is a quote.
"When the delegation from Mawar arrived at the Mewar court, and presented the customary betrothal coconut, prince Chunda was absent, and Maharana Lakha jokingly asked if the betrothal was meant for him being an old grey
bearded man."
So what Garv writes it quite interesting, as the coconut still have a meaning.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 12:11 PM   #11
BANDOOK

Default A COUPLE OF MY UNCLES PICHANGETTIS

HI CHARLES HERE ARE COUPLE OF PICHANGETTIS BELONGING TO MY UNCLE WHO IS A COORGI[NATIVE OF COORG].THEY BELONGED TO HIS GRANDFATHER WHICH WAS THEN PASSED ON TO HIS FATHER AND INTURN TO HIM.AS THEY ARE FAMILY HEIRLOOMS THEY NEVER GET SOLD.
ALSO IS A FAMILY PICTURE OF HIS GRANDFATHER AND HIS DAD AS A YOUNG BOY.
REGARDS RAJESH
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 12:18 PM   #12
BANDOOK

SOME MORE PICTURES OF PICHANGETTIS AND ITS BIGGER BROTHER THE WAR WEAPON THE ADYA KATTI
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2016, 09:44 PM   #13
CharlesS

BANDOOK,

Thanks so much for posting these lovely heirloom examples along with the photos. It's always amazing when we can get some input from the actual culture that used/uses the blade in discussion!

You post would certainly suggest why we see so few of these on the market.

It seems that with the pichangetti's the blade may change a little bit in size, but only the blade's dress and scabbard materials are altered, and even then the basic nature of the knife always stays the same.

Are quality of materials based on wealth or status?....or as in many cultures one is synonymous with the other?
Old 9th June 2016, 10:33 PM   #14
Royston

Hello Charles
That is a beauty for sure.

I pulled this photo off the web a long time ago so cannot remember where from. It's not brilliant but does show both knives being worn and held.

As for Bandook's photos - I could have sworn that the one on the gray background was mine until I noticed the it does not have a central silver band on the scabbard. They look like brothers. I have included a photo of my one from a previous post.

I wonder how many smiths there were making these?

Regards
Roy
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 12:08 PM   #15
BANDOOK

HI ROYSTON
THE BLADES ARE MADE BY BLACKSMITHS AND THEN SENT TO THE JEWELLERS WHO THEN DECORATE THEM AND INLAY THEM WITH WOOD AND SILVER,BONE AND IVORY HAS BEEN USED IN SOME OCASSIONS BUT SILVER IS PREFERRED MORE.
NOW DAYS ONE CAN BUY NEW ONES AT THE JEWELLERS IN MERCARA ,CAPITAL OF COORG DISTRICT AND VIRAJPET,SO THAT ONE CAN USE THEM FOR WEDDINGS AND TRADITIONAL FESTIVALS.
I HAVE POSTED MY COORG GUN EARLIER IN THE FORUM BUT WOULD POST SOME PICTURES TO GO WITH THE BEAUTIFUL PICHANGETTI
Attached Images