Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Keris Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2024, 07:54 PM   #1
Bjorn

Default Keris Madura/East Jawa

Available for a limited time before going up for auction.

Keris from the island of Madura or the eastern part of Java.

The wilah shows a wonderful rendition of pamor ujung gunung at the base and pamor kulit semangka above in a high-contrast material. Also note the eight-like figure at the top of the blade. Dhapur is tilam upih. Estimate of age by the Malay gallery I bought it from is middle 19th century. Personally I would put it at late 19th to early 20th (before WW2).

The wrongko is in the East Javanese ladrangan form and made of pelet wood, highly prized for its magical properties. It is accompanied by a matching jejeran in the bebondolan form, which has a band (kendit) around its breast - known for its propitious qualities.

The mendak is brass and fitted with intan. The brass pendok is beautifully repoused with lis. The pendok shows some wear at the lis and some chinks (see photos). It is tightly fitted to the wood, and I have never removed it due to fear of damage.

Kindly take a good look at the photos to see if this piece will suit your collection.

Please make sure your country allows the import of this item.
Contact me for an exact quote on shipping costs. Shipping will be from the Netherlands.
Asking price is €400. Respectful bids will be considered.
Attached Images

Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2024, 07:23 PM   #2
Bjorn

Item has now been submitted for auction.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote