Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st August 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
rand

Default Anything worth saving on this kris?

http://indonesiankris.blogspot.com/

Would appreciate your comments on this kris, it would help me in my decision what to do with it.....

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 10:13 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I guess there is always something worth saving...
The hilt is pretty much "tourist" quality.
The blade is a very interesting one, however it seems to be missing it's gonjo. If you live somewhere where you think you can have a good replacement made it might be worth it to you. Likewise with a sheath. If you live as far from Indonesia as i do all that might be too difficult and not worth the time, money and effort.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 10:25 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Fixable, but a lot of work.

I don't think the hilt is "tourist". I think its the real deal, but fairly recent, and not particularly wonderful quality.

Anybody with average skill with hand-tools can make a gonjo, its no big deal, just a lot of patient, careful work. You start with a block of mild steel and just make it smaller---pretty easy really.

The wrongko is harder. Not a lot of non-wrongko makers have the skill to make one, so you need to order one from Indonesia.

Total cost of $$$ and time for a restoration on this could be considered to be too high for the overall quality of the blade and handle. But it is doable.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

I like the selut and the uwer .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 11:38 PM   #5
rand

Default Selut and uwer

Ok,

Sounds like I shoudl take the selut & uwer off and toss the rest.... That works for me...

Thanks,

rand
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand
... Sounds like I shoudl take the selut & uwer off and toss the rest.... That works for me...
The blade, you could send it to me. I'll gladly get rid of it for you and I'll pay postage.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 01:33 AM   #7
Newsteel

Dumping it all would be a waste but then having to make the wrangka and gonja too would cost some $$$. The blade is good though.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:03 AM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I don't think the hilt is "tourist". I think its the real deal, but fairly recent, and not particularly wonderful quality.
Possibly so, that's why i said it's pretty much "tourist" quality.
...and i thought i was being vague enough.
I do really like the daphor of this blade and would love to see it with the appropriate gonjo for the full effect of it's profile. I would hold onto the hilt, even if i chose to replace it. It certainly is servicable afterall.
I mean if you are going to throw anything away send it to me and i'll send you the postage.
I guess for me the decision to restore this piece would have to depend on the importance of the blade (pusaka, rare daphor, squared by the availablity and cost to commission the pieces necessary to do the job right.
If i were to choose just one thing to do to this keris to revive it i would have to commission a new gonjo....though that would probably be one of the more expensive fixes.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 07:15 PM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
If i were to choose just one thing to do to this keris to revive it i would have to commission a new gonjo....though that would probably be one of the more expensive fixes.
Not expensive, David. I think as much as the postage cost to and fro. And it need (to make a new ganja, good "garap" or good work) less than three days to work on it...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Henk

I certainly think this keris is worth restoring. The only thing I would change is the mendak. I would replace the mendak in one that fits more to the selut. Or when you can replace the gonjo only use the selut. I cann't see what kind of stones are placed in the mendak, but I'm sure the mendak could be used for another keris.
The blade needs an etch with warangan. I think it is a very good blade. The prabot is very long wich in javanese is called Kebo Lajer
A nice scabbard will complete the keris. Maybe you can carve one by yourself or like Ganjawulung said order one for the price as much as the shipping costs.

If you cann't do it all by yourself I'm convinced there are forum members who are glad to help you with restoring this keris. I think this fellow deserves it. When completely restored it was the price of restoration certainly worth.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 01:12 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, you probably were vague enough David, its just that if you trawled the tourist traps in Bali , and saw the real "tourist quality", you'd probably never use the term again.Certainly not on something like this keris.

As far as restoration of this keris goes, really, it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend, Rand. Sure, it can be done, but its a pretty average sort of keris, and when you add up the money involved, you might not think its worth paying out that much. I reckon the way to go would be to do the work yourself. If you've got average skill with hand tools, it could be done. Even an attempt at a wrongko could be tried, but then you're looking at an investment of time. If you could not regard it as hobby time well spent, then its probably not a very attractive option.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 07:59 AM   #12
slam32

The first impression is that its shape is so strange.The blade seems sharp .But I like this kind of things.
slam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 09:02 PM   #13
rand

Default Appreciate all the respone

Appreciate the response everyone has given me, will post this on swap forum soon...

Thanks,

rand