Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 21st June 2015, 12:28 PM   #31
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Here is a comparison between a sword within mark and two examples off mark.
Says the author Eduardo Nobre that, while legal swords had five palms total length, these ilegal examples had seven palms of blade alone.
He proceeds saying that indeed their unsheathing and carrying around was rather problematic, besides the difficulty to fence with blades of such length, they managed to keep at distance the most adventurous adversary.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 12:42 PM   #32
fernando

Default Toledan legends

The fame of ancient Toledan steels was based on the mastership with which some smiths handled its temper, without any technical knowledge nor any instrument able to measure, even remotely, the adequate temperatures for such treatment. The temperature they knew it by the color of burning steel and the time of immersion in the water, by means of prayer, verses or songs allusive to the craft. People in general attributed such quality of steel to the water of the river Tagus, in which swords were tempered.
Old 21st June 2015, 12:52 PM   #33
fernando

Default Toledo legends part II

Santiago de Palomares, author of the famous sword smiths nomina, also commissioned by King Carlos III in 1775 to create the Royal factory of swords in Toledo, left it written that, the steel that they spent in the fabrication of Toledan swords, since its beginning was that of the old factory of Modragon, unique in Spain at the time, celebrated in almost all world as rich and abounding and which swords, after some centuries, prevail today of quality so outstanding that they are appreciated by the major part of world nations for their strength, beauty and the finest temper.
Old 21st June 2015, 02:59 PM   #34
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fernando, thank you so much for this exacting detail on the character of these weapons as well as the texture of their making and the atmosphere of the time. It is as always, colorfully described as you do masterfully, and makes me appreciate these all the more!!! (as if I could be any more obsessed with them!!!
Thank you,

Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 04:25 PM   #35
M ELEY

Bravo, Fernando! I also wish to thank you on the dissertation of such magnificent blades! Just like Jim, I'm really taken in by these swords and their colorful history!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 04:44 PM   #36
fernando

Wink Toledo legends part III ... dedicated to Jim

According to the legend, the first tempered steels were developed by mere accident in Toledo, where the Royal Armoury was located in the middle ages. Based on a mix of cruelty and servility, the royal smith had the idea to pierce a prisioner of war (probably a Moor or a sympathizer), captured in the wars against Arab domination. Needless to say that such sword had been turned red hot, to commit the symbolic act, ritual death or blood baptism, the result being overpowering; the sword has hardened or TEMPERED, using the body of a man as cooling agent of the process. Facing the discovery and after the surprise, all nobility commissioned their Toledana, upon which they ran out of slaves for the sacrifice and, by disastrous analogy and enemy despise, slaves were replaced by deer who died in the process, tempering swords, until it occurred to someone that the issue of having to kill someone or some animal for the temper of steel would be a superstition ... and so proofed by doing it with water, or oil, achieving the same results, and so it is done until now in this west side of the planet.
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:01 AM   #37
ulfberth

Default To Jim and all Toledo and Alatriste admirers

Kind regards Ulfberth ....
Attached Images

ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 07:35 PM   #38
fernando

Ah ... a sword (rapier) without scabbard but with suspension belt.
Are these interestingly genuine examples ... both sword and suspender ?
Maybe (at the least) the suspender ia a replica ?
The sword looks huge ... how long is it ?
Old 22nd June 2015, 07:56 PM   #39
ulfberth

Hi Fernando,

The belt was a gift and is obviously not an Original, it just ads to the scenario, like a temporary frame , a bit like the box for the pocket pistols.
I tried to duplicate the scene of the movie Alatriste, as you can see in the picture.
The Espada ropera is 122 CM long and Original in all parts.

kind regards

Ulfberth
Attached Images

Last edited by ulfberth; 22nd June 2015 at 08:14 PM.
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:13 AM   #40
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Magnificent rapier Ufberth!!!! and in that setting superb!!!
I had not even known on this movie, "Alatriste" but now that I do I must have it
It doesn't matter that the suspension device is not original, it looks amazing with this piece. Anyone with a true passion for these rapiers would be smitten with this grouping!
Thank you for this.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:11 PM   #41
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfberth
Hi Fernando,
The belt was a gift and is obviously not an Original, it just ads to the scenario, like a temporary frame ,
Pardon me, i was under the impression, in the context that, the sword & belt were implements used in the quoted movie.

Quote:
a bit like the box for the pocket pistols.
Ah, that was just a box i had around; not meant to replicate the real thing. I wish i could find a real antique case.

Quote:
I tried to duplicate the scene of the movie Alatriste, as you can see in the picture.
Movie just requested from a friend; i will have to see it.

Quote:
The Espada ropera is 122 CM long and Original in all parts.
So i bit 'off mark' for the period . A splendid example indeed; when i grow up, i want one
Old 3rd August 2015, 04:50 PM   #42
fernando

Curious event,
... In which Master Lucas, a Biscayne sword smith resident in Lisbon, having being found with four 'black' swords greater than the mark, was arrested and later released with 100 cruzados bail, from which he ended up being pardoned... not without having to pay 1000 reaes for the Hospital of All Saints.

Attached Images