Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #1
thomas hauschild

Default 2018 ethnographic weapon

Hello

Admin feel free to delete if this will be an unwanted thread.

In my first thread I told you, that I‘m also a knifemaker and I wanted to be inspired by antique pieces for my own work. So I like to show you a piece made this year in spring. It is not a typical style , but there are some design elements that I wanted to use. The blade is a little bit inspired by mandau with filework and fullers from a cojang. You can grip it in front of the guard for smaller cutting operations. The guard is inspired by sikkin pieces. The long grip for two hands by kachin-dao. The own made mokume-gane by japanese usages, the open scabbard again by kachin dao. All from pieces in my collection. People who knows me as a knifemaker will find some typical own elements too.

80 cm in total. Din 1.2604 swordsteel, grip from extinct stellers seacow bone, guard from copper/iron mokume and antique wrought iron(by the way, I have some hundreds kilo of iron from 1600 to 1850. if anybody will need a piece for replacements, feel free to contact me ). Scabbard modern bamboo wood and water buffalo-horn with mokume and copper pins ( all pinned without a drop of glue )

Well this was a lot of more than standard work for me. I would like to say, that with every hour, my respect for the master bladesmith of the past has grown higher and higher. Remembering just the work of forging the fullers and grinding them........incredible work that the masters has done in the past. Maximum respect.

Best regards Thomas
Attached Images

thomas hauschild is offline   Reply With Quote