Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th August 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
trenchwarfare

Default Another Murata... Whatizit?

I've had this shotgun, for some time now. Typical Japanese Murata. My question: Is it possible to tell what culture put the copper band on this piece? I know it's a long shot. The designs on the band, are sparce. But, maybe it's enough for this learned panel to figure out. Many thanks, for any information.
Attached Images

trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

No ideas? I thought about it after I posted. The piece of copper, could have been cut from a larger item, with a design, already on it. And this, is only a fraction of what was there. Looks like scales.
Old 17th August 2012, 05:29 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THESE GUNS BUT THE WAY THE COPPER BAND WAS WORKED IS QUITE NICE AND I SUSPECT YOU ARE RIGHT IT WAS MADE FROM PART OF SOMETHING ELSE?.
IS THIS GUN MODIFIED ESPECIALLY THE STOCK? I HAVE SEEN SOMETHING SIMULAR IN A WW2 JAPANESE RIFLE WHERE THE WOODEN FORE STOCK HAD BEEN REMOVED TO MAKE A SPORTING RIFLE OUT OF IT. IT WOULD EXPLAIN THE ADDITION OF THE METAL BAND TO SECURE THE BARREL. THE MODIFICATIONS MADE THE BARREL LOOK WAY TOO LONG AS IT DOES ON THIS EXAMPLE. A INTERESTING GUN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 03:28 PM   #4
trenchwarfare

The stock was made the way it is. The copper band was added I'm guessing, cuz the screw and bolster holding the barrel on, were lost. The only modification I see, is that the front sling swivel was moved forward from it's original position. I have another, with the same length stock, and most are the same. The full-stocked gun in my other post, is an unusual example. I feel that the copper band, is a non Japanese addition. Many of these guns, went to the South Pacific, Manchukkuo (Manchuria), and South America, with Japanese colonists, and settlers.