Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th December 2013, 04:03 PM   #5
driftwould

Location: Currently, Taiwan. Previously China for 6 years. Speak and read 中文 well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
Driftwould, if you are in iloilo, your best bet would be to go to an open market and look for a vendor that sells blades. binangons can be found in these places. if you have time, you can go to the town of Bingawan, in Barotac Viejo, and have a smith make you a personal binangon. or go to Badiangan. that municipality is famous for their Binangons as well. heck, they have a binangon festival...
prolly run you around 10 dollars or so. hope this helps

old visayan swords is much rarer in Philippines than it is over here in the states. with that said, you might wanna try SM mall in iloilo. last time i was there, there was an antique dealer on the lower floor. he might have some old blades...
Thanks for the information, please keep it coming! In general, when traveling, what kinds of places are good to look, and what strategies are useful to adopt in looking for these kinds of things? I often travel in the developing world and like to get things from the source in person, so I need to develop an understanding that can apply in many places. As I said, antiques, or just new things made in traditional styles, both are ok as long as they are quality, traditional and display their culture through artistic expression.
driftwould is offline   Reply With Quote