Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2010, 05:39 PM   #1
graeme gt

Default Zulu knife ?

Large Bowie style blade total length 17" has anyone seen Zulu's carrying knives? It has a braided wire loop with a really heavy brass chain (looks military) going through it.Would like to hear yous comments chaps.Thanks Graeme.
Attached Images

graeme gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Graeme

Sorry to say your knife seems to be something one picks up while traveling for pleasure. I have not seen an actual Zulu knife/dagger I saw a sword once but never a dagger. I would think if they did have one it would be similar to Shona daggers? Your knife reminds me of a European naval dagger with the chain and all
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I have seen and handled this piece when it belonged to a collector not too far from where I live. It is indeed a nice piece. The chain is from military horse trapping. The blade is thin but very sharp. I see no reason it is not Zulu but it could be from many tribes in Southern Africa. We the British pushed then all around.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

I don't think this traditional Zulu dagger style if there ever was one as in the Shona daggers? This just seems to be a tribal copy of a European style dagger with the addition of Zulu wire work art.
Attached Images

Old 26th May 2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Talking about South African wire work. I have this piece. 109cm long I had to do some emergency repair work as there were a few areas where the wire was coming off. I fixed these areas with my own blend of wax and resin gunge much like any "native" would have. The whole thing can be run through your hands without any wire poking out to snag on.
Attached Images

Old 26th May 2010, 11:13 PM   #6
graeme gt

I am not sure about this piece but the wire work is tight and well done its not a bit of tourist tat (i hope and think) .The cross guard could have been made out of a flattened cartridge case .You have seen it Tim shoot from the hip what is your vibe man.
Old 27th May 2010, 06:45 AM   #7
asomotif

Maybe this piece was made by local a worksman to the style and liking of a European or other non Zulu person ?

Think of the Cikeruh / tjikeroe knives from Java.
They had local craftmanship with foreign style characteristics.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Ok graeme, You got it from an auction house in Dorset. You will find that the chain is just long enough to fit over your shoulder with the knife between your body and arm. The chain is heavy too heavy for a helmet strap.
Old 28th May 2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

I spoke with one of the UK's Zulu experts today and he said "Yes. Of course they did buy knives from white traders, and from the 20th c you see odd examples where they've tried to copy these - but they are not true 'Zulu knives'. Cheers! So Graeme yes your knife is of Zulu manufacture but there is no real stylized tribal form. I was also told that the Zulu used unhafted spearheads as daggers.
Old 28th May 2010, 06:07 PM   #10
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
I spoke with one of the UK's Zulu experts today and he said "Yes. Of course they did buy knives from white traders, and from the 20th c you see odd examples where they've tried to copy these - but they are not true 'Zulu knives'. Cheers! So Graeme yes your knife is of Zulu manufacture but there is no real stylized tribal form. I was also told that the Zulu used unhafted spearheads as daggers.

I have seen a 'sheffield' Bowie with Zulu wirework, no pictures I'm afraid, but was obviously a traded/captured piece.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 08:44 AM   #11
graeme gt

Thanks for your input guys.