Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2005, 11:57 AM   #1
ariel

Default Chinese fakes

We mention them from time to time with derision, and most of them richly deserve it.
But look at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

(The auction is over)
It is heads and shoulders better than the usual "Japanense eximious cowskin housecarl famous general with rosewood vagina"
Of course, it is not even close to resembling a katana (more like an upside down Kubikuri), but it is carefully executed.
Well, another couple of years and they will sell Masamunes and Sukesadas indistinguishable from the originals. After that they'll turn to Kilijes, Yataghans, Shamshirs (with Assadullah's signatures), and anythig else potentially highly sought. Then we will be in a pickle....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

The general sounds rather fun
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 11:07 PM   #3
nechesh

I don't know Ariel, sometimes a nice "pickle" goes well on the side.
Really, i know nothing about such weapons (though even i wouldn't refer to this one as a katana), but if i did i suppose i would know enough to spot the inaccuracies in this auction. It does, however, appear to be a well made piece of metal. Can't say i would mind owning it. It's a pretty pickle.
For me it comes down to, is it worth $211.00. I think it probably is. So the bottom line as always is that a wise collector is a knowledgable collector (or visa versa) and by all means, let the buyer beware.
BTW, can any of you knowledgable Japanese sword collectors tell me if that is a true hamon line or not.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 12:50 AM   #4
Andrew

That "hamon" looks acid-etched to me, nechesh.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 02:44 AM   #5
Rivkin

what is it, some naginata ? Hamon is nice, but flat with no activity whatsoever - most likely acid.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 03:17 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs down

Looks like a field hockey stick .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 04:12 AM   #7
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Looks like a field hockey stick .
Yeah!.....so?.....every now and then i like to get into an aggresive game of field hockey. Yo, you gotta problem with that?!
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 05:03 AM   #8
M ELEY

Ariel, you bring up my worst fears for the future to come! As a self-professed bargain-hunter and eBayer, it is sometimes very irritating to guess from a half-out of focus pic if you are getting a steal or getting robbed. The frustration of passing up on an item because you can't hold it in your hand! We're seeing this not only with Japanese weapons, but American "Confederate" items as well. Many of the fakes, with a little aging and fake patina, are hard to tell. To add confusion to the whole thing, then there are real weapons out there, but grossly misidentified. Many Spanish colonial swords look like Confederate D-guards, many Philippine bolos likewise. It has gotten to the point for me where I won't even look at the Japanese/Chinese/Tibetan stuff on eBay anymore...sigh.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 10:18 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

This is no more traditional Japanese than I am. There has been talk about these really good Chinese fakes now beginning to come out of the country on the nihonto section of Sword Forum .com. I agree with Andrew - acid etch hamon, all over the place. Nice piece of junk, but still piece of junk never the less. My rule of thumb - If it says "china" as an origin, run away.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 10:58 PM   #10
ariel

Battara,
I could not agree more: any antique sword coming from China or Hong Kong, or "shipped from China", or having any hint of connection with China,- should not be touched with a 10 foot pole!!
My point is, that no matter how junky (and it IS junky!), this "katana" represents a quantum leap in craftsmanship over the awfully junky stuff we are accustomed to see on e-bay.
This is a bad omen: the buggers in Nanjing have learned new tricks and are getting more professional.
It is just like finding that a usually docile and antibiotic-sensitive bug suddenly became resistant to penicillin. It is not yet a real problem, because there are many more, and more active antibiotics, but... it is inevitable that the bug will mutate further and further and suddenly we will have no drug against him. The Black Plague all over again....
Old 20th July 2005, 11:13 PM   #11
Andrew

MRSA swords!

I joke, Ariel, but I agree completely.
Old 20th July 2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
MRSA swords!

MRSA !?!
No comprende .

I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more fakes coming out of the former CCCP also .

Does anyone have a timetable for Chinese fake sword world domination ?

Seriously though , I for one am amazed at some of the Philippine/Indo stuff that seems to get snapped up for ridiculous prices as so called Civil War Bowies on ebay .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 12:31 AM   #13
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
MRSA swords!

LOVE IT!
Old 21st July 2005, 02:58 AM   #14
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
MRSA !?!
No comprende .

I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more fakes coming out of the former CCCP also .

Does anyone have a timetable for Chinese fake sword world domination ?

Seriously though , I for one am amazed at some of the Philippine/Indo stuff that seems to get snapped up for ridiculous prices as so called Civil War Bowies on ebay .
Rick

You hit it right on the head! The Chinese government's bid to buy that oil company in California is just a deversion They will fill our country up with poorly made swords so when and if we ever go to war with them they will break during combat and leave us defenseless

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 04:36 AM   #15
Andrew

Quote:
MRSA !?!
No comprende .

MRSA = methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus

It's a common bacteria. Unfortunately, it has become resistant to most antibiotics, and can cause serious infections, particularly for hospitalized patients. Nasty bug.