Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 16th April 2017, 08:47 PM   #1
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default What is this? Powder flask/Tobacco Flask?

Picked this up at the weekend for next to nothing.
Can anyone tell me what it is and also where it comes from? The decoration style is familiar but I can not place it. Made of brass.
Stu
Attached Images
     
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 10:02 AM   #2
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,475
Default

Hi Stu.

Hmmmm.....I think tobacco might be a good guess.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 12:15 PM   #3
ariel
Member
 
ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 4,872
Default

Perhaps it was for a mixture of both: must have been a dynamite fag:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde
Member
 
Jens Nordlunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,700
Default

I dont know wht it is, but I have found the attached picture, which is from a sales catalogue from 1974 from Elliott and Snowdon.
'Part striped wood, part iron and decorated with gold scrolls. Early 19th century.'
Attached Images
 
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 07:05 PM   #5
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
I dont know wht it is, but I have found the attached picture, which is from a sales catalogue from 1974 from Elliott and Snowdon.
'Part striped wood, part iron and decorated with gold scrolls. Early 19th century.'

Hi Jens,
Thank you.
The pic you show appears to be a powder bandolier. Similar sort of thing to this one.
What I have is not from a bandolier and I suspect it is more likely for tobacco/snuff but hoped that someone here could identify the decoration style, and perhaps give a concise identification as to use.
Stu
Attached Images
 
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
thinreadline
Member
 
thinreadline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wirral
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Jens,
Thank you.
The pic you show appears to be a powder bandolier. Similar sort of thing to this one.
What I have is not from a bandolier and I suspect it is more likely for tobacco/snuff but hoped that someone here could identify the decoration style, and perhaps give a concise identification as to use.
Stu


The decoration is a little like my large 19th C hunting knife which equally I have scant idea as to origin though it was sold as a N Indian made for the European market ....
Attached Images
   
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 08:08 AM   #7
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
The decoration is a little like my large 19th C hunting knife which equally I have scant idea as to origin though it was sold as a N Indian made for the European market ....

I was thinking that region also. Snuff/tobacco flasks from Afghanistan are of similar size to the item I was querying. Pics here
Stu
Attached Images
  
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Richard G
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 266
Default

Something to do with betel? Possibly?
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 02:17 PM   #9
Kubur
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,778
Default

Can be also khol flasks very common in the Arab world.
i think yours is from Morocco...
Attached Images
 
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 07:28 PM   #10
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Can be also khol flasks very common in the Arab world.
i think yours is from Morocco...

Not a Khol flask...the neck is far to big. I have 3 Khol flasks in my collection and there is no resemblance.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 07:30 PM   #11
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Something to do with betel? Possibly?
Regards
Richard

Hi Richard. I did think of possibly a Betel container, mainly as the decoration could also be SE Asian.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 02:34 AM   #12
Helleri
Member
 
Helleri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Boulder Creek, CA.
Posts: 180
Default

This is probably a dumb question. But have you checked really well to see if any thing is left in it? I mean like with a bright flash light. Maybe even scraping the inside. Even a fleck or a small caking of something left in there might tell you a lot.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,404
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

See relevant detail at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ht=POWDER+FLASK
In the case of the powder charges in rows at #4 and #5 above ~ these are generally considered to be Ottoman and seen as far afield as Oman. Thought not to be actual gun belts but carried in a separate bag. www.Omanisilver.com refers.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi : 20th April 2017 at 01:22 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 11:44 PM   #14
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helleri
This is probably a dumb question. But have you checked really well to see if any thing is left in it? I mean like with a bright flash light. Maybe even scraping the inside. Even a fleck or a small caking of something left in there might tell you a lot.

Sorry it has taken a while to get around to your suggestion. What little residue there was, was a light grey in colour and when a lighted match was touched to it, there were tiny flashes which would maybe suggest gun powder.
If indeed this is a container for gunpowder, I do not believe that it is part of a "bandolier type" set. My reasoning here is that the container itself is tapered and not straight sided, and also is decorated overall, which would not be likely if held in a leather pocket of some sort.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 02:59 PM   #15
Richard G
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 266
Default

Stu, back to betel. A grey residue could be the dried out remains of lime paste, (calcium hydroxide) I think. I believe it is the reaction of this with the other ingredients that turns saliva red. I don't know if it flares in contact with a flame.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 07:43 PM   #16
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Stu, back to betel. A grey residue could be the dried out remains of lime paste, (calcium hydroxide) I think. I believe it is the reaction of this with the other ingredients that turns saliva red. I don't know if it flares in contact with a flame.
Regards
Richard

I have owned other lime containers in the past but these have all been straight sided and bigger than this one. Not to say that it is not for betel as a suggestion was made somewhere that the decoration looked SE Asian. If from that region it COULD also have been used for powder I suppose.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 06:52 AM   #17
Kmaddock
Member
 
Kmaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 325
Default

Chemistry is my profession
Calcium hydroxide will not flare at all when touched with a match.
No ideas on item though
Regards
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.