Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Rod Charters

Default Comments on "Tower Musket"

I recently bought this at an auction in Zimbabwe and it was being sold as a "tower musket". However it has very good quality and intricate Shona brass wire weaving around barrel and stock. The wood finishing is quite rough and someone suggested that the wood was local. The trigger and trigger guard look original. Has anyone come across this type of weapon before? Could it be parts of an original tower musket that has been modified by Shona people to be used as a weapon? Does anyone have any estimate of the date? Thanks Rod.
Attached Images

Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Very interesting. I know very little about guns. Is this a precussion cap rifle with a missing hammer? Rather than African wood the stock may just hve been modified to local tastes? Doubt there are that many around.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Rod Charters

Hi Tim, thanks for the comments. Yes I suspect it was a percussion cap rifle disarmed as I was told it is no longer functional, probably for licensing reasons. I also no very little about these weapons but could not resist buying after seeing the Shona wire weaving. Rod
Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Rod,
This is a most interesting gun, and I have always been intrigued by the rugged charm of native weapons using colonial components. The stock on this particular gun does seem rough and inconsistant with British ordnance, and seems fashioned to accept the lock which is of percussion form. What is curious about the lock is that the percussion lock, which was officially approved in England in 1834, in this case does not seem marked as most examples of locks with 'tower' marks of the period. Most examples I have seen have the 'tower' under the crown and VR just forward of the hammer.
The shape and existing holes do seem consistant with these locks though, and the lock appears overall consistant with those on British percussion saddle bar carbines of mid 19th century. The markings are as noted inconsistant.
Perhaps this was a trade lock?

In the pamphlet "A Weapons History of Africa" (A.W.Lindert, Aledo, Ill. 1974) on p.32, it is noted that in Africa, since there was no firearms industry, the natives were content to receive firearms from Europe and America, and these countries obliged by often using the opportunity to dispose of obsolete arms of many makes. Further, "...in the case of the African native, the gun manufacturers, especially of European nations, established an unwritten law to see that guns sold to the native be only single shot and of obsolete ignition type".

What I especially like on this piece is the use of tacks to form a cross, and the bands on the stock neck and around the barrel. This is reminiscent of those guns used in the 19th century by Native American warriors on the American frontier, though obviously not associated, just interesting.

I would like to know more on the weave in the bands identified as Shona, and how it denotes that particular tribal group, just for future reference and notes.

Very nice piece Rod!!!

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 23rd October 2008 at 03:09 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote