Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Michael Blalock

Default Yemeni Swords

Here is a group of swords from the National Museum of Yemen that have been discussed on this site previously. Evidently the display was stolen last December in an inside theft over the Eid holiday. Fortunately the swords were recovered. This has evidently been an ongoing problem all over Yemen with many local museums plundered.
Attached Images

Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blalock
Here is a group of swords from the National Museum of Yemen that have been discussed on this site previously. Evidently the display was stolen last December in an inside theft over the Eid holiday. Fortunately the swords were recovered. This has evidently been an ongoing problem all over Yemen with many local museums plundered.

Salaams Michael Blalock... Greeting Michael it is a long time since we have seen your posts ~and how good it is also..to see those weapons returned... The broad bladed swords look like similar examples from the Topkapi...and in the second picture is the very interesting sword also seen at the Wallace with the distinctive rounded pommel and cuff...It is also good to see the appearance of the other much forgotten weapon; the Arabian Spear or Roomi...(Rum?)
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Michael Blalock

Greetings Ibrahiim, I've been busy with work but was recuperating from some minor surgery and had time to peruse the net. I have been searching Google in Arabic and I find a lot of interesting things such as the article describing this theft.
See the attached link for a real treasure of photos of Yemen.
http://www.alamree.net/alboums_main.htm

These people have obviously been very busy. I found my own photos uploaded here as well as photos from the forum.
Navigation is a bit difficult but there are hundreds upon hundreds of images.
I especially enjoyed see this National Guard Pin with a Gusbi Jambiya and a photo of the National Guard wearing Gusbi Jambiya.
It is worth the time to look through.

I have a new Yemeni sword coming as well. I will post when I receive it.
Attached Images

Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blalock
Greetings Ibrahiim, I've been busy with work but was recuperating from some minor surgery and had time to peruse the net. I have been searching Google in Arabic and I find a lot of interesting things such as the article describing this theft.
See the attached link for a real treasure of photos of Yemen.
http://www.alamree.net/alboums_main.htm

These people have obviously been very busy. I found my own photos uploaded here as well as photos from the forum.
Navigation is a bit difficult but there are hundreds upon hundreds of images.
I especially enjoyed see this National Guard Pin with a Gusbi Jambiya and a photo of the National Guard wearing Gusbi Jambiya.
It is worth the time to look through.

I have a new Yemeni sword coming as well. I will post when I receive it.

Salaams Michael and good to hear you are recuperating.. Your picture selection is an absolutely unique and a stunning photo album of Yemeni Ethnographics... I have been in the system several hours and have barely seen half of the magnificent examples... A must for students of Southern Arabia...I look forward to seeing the new Yemeni Sword.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote