Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd April 2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Newsteel

Default Keris Hilt : pop quiz

I found this recently. Very interesting!!! Is this hilt for a Tajong, Coteng or Lampung ???
Attached Images

Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Alam Shah

It's a simplified tajong hilt.
Smaller than usual.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:18 AM   #3
PenangsangII

I am sorry Newsteel, I think to be frank with you, it's a like AlamShah said, simplified tajung hilt - could be mass produced
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:30 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Before I ask this question, I'd like to be very clear:-

I am not attacking anybody; this is a straight forward, plain question with no hidden agenda .

Lately I have seen several times the reference to "mass production" in discussions.

Exactly what do other members of this discussion group consider to be "mass production"?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Before I ask this question, I'd like to be very clear:-

I am not attacking anybody; this is a straight forward, plain question with no hidden agenda .

Lately I have seen several times the reference to "mass production" in discussions.

Exactly what do other members of this discussion group consider to be "mass production"?
I would have to second Alan's questioning of the term "mass production". I tend to think of it more along the lines of the Henry Ford model and it usually applies to larger items than keris hilts which need to be assembled. I think of machinery and conveyor belts and items which all turn out looking exactly the same as one another in mass quantities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_production
This hilt does appear to be a more modern and perhaps simplified tajong. At least it doesn't seem to follow the usually codified design pattern for tajong. Still it seems a fairly well executed carving. But i would question the idea that it was "mass produced".
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 01:15 AM   #6
Newsteel

I got this from my contact in Sumatra when I acquire keris Palembang from him. This hilt happened to be with him, said to come from Lampung.

New hilt no doubt but it got this smooth aged touch. I can't help but noticing the silimar features of a tajong and the super curling beak. It has slimmer width but of same length or size of a tajong. Even the carving, very much influenced by the tajong but there are also some floral motives too, similar to what found on some typical Sumatran hilt (keris panjang).

History, little information is known about Lampung (keris). But there is once a strong connection and influence between Lampung and Pattani/Northern Malaysia before Demak kingdom came into power.
Old 4th April 2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Newsteel

There is also possibility that this hilt would be another "reproduction" - meaning it could be customised by someone at Sumatra. Unlike a typical tajong where it has a boxier shape, this may be customised to suite the Sumatran. Looking close at it, I would not rate it as a tourist piece either.
Old 4th April 2008, 03:11 PM   #8
BluErf

A sumatran interpretation of the tajong, which probably appeared in recent times.

The carving is "quick and rough" type. I don't like to use the term "tourist", but ya, its probably part of that category.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
The carving is "quick and rough" type. I don't like to use the term "tourist", but ya, its probably part of that category.
hmmm....it's certainly not a "fine" carving, but i think you and i have a different definition or "quick and rough".
Old 5th April 2008, 09:28 AM   #10
BluErf

I think for this standard of carving, the carver probably took a day or two to finish, whereas for a proper tajong done with care, it could take months.

For an example on the 'quick and rough' part, just look at the eyes - its not even round.
Old 5th April 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Alam Shah

Quote:
I think for this standard of carving, the carver probably took a day or two to finish, whereas for a proper tajong done with care, it could take months.

For an example on the 'quick and rough' part, just look at the eyes - its not even round.
Yes ... agreed. Just compare it with this or here.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 5th April 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 5th April 2008, 04:59 PM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Well i certainly wish i could knock off something like this in a day...
No argument that this is not the fine and finished work that is the general standard for tajong hilts. But it is not the product of an unskilled artisan either.
Certainly it is a bit on the rough side (yep, noticed the eyes). Imagine what he could have done with another week or two...
Old 6th April 2008, 01:24 AM   #13
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Yes ... agreed. Just compare it with this or here.

I think the 2nd link is a painting, not a real tajong. And I think it is not a painting of hilt by Mr Nik Rashiddin. His tajong hilts are not so stout, and his motifs are more "condensed".
Old 6th April 2008, 01:28 AM   #14
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well i certainly wish i could knock off something like this in a day...
No argument that this is not the fine and finished work that is the general standard for tajong hilts. But it is not the product of an unskilled artisan either.
Certainly it is a bit on the rough side (yep, noticed the eyes). Imagine what he could have done with another week or two...
For these carvers who do this sort of work day-in day-out, it's really quite easy. The hardest part is when they have to do it creatively (i.e. not reproducing a standard "template"). And as the luxury brand people always harp - it's the finishing touches that takes the most amount of time.
Old 6th April 2008, 02:14 AM   #15
Alam Shah

Quote:
I think the 2nd link is a painting, not a real tajong. And I think it is not a painting of hilt by Mr Nik Rashiddin. His tajong hilts are not so stout, and his motifs are more "condensed".
Yes, the picture is from the book "Spirit of Wood...", (ref: Pg.20, (KW109), Kelantan, late 20th c, kenaung wood. Carved by the late Nik Rashiddin Nik Hussein... probably taken by a camera at a slight angle, then touch up with some digital effects (not done by me).