Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th February 2010, 03:22 AM   #31
harimauhk

Default Blades out...

Here they are open and latched. On the 29 and the deer antler balis, you can see grooves left from the bearings that were used to make the blades!
Attached Images

harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 03:29 AM   #32
harimauhk

Here are pics of the bearing groove on the stag-handled balisong, the actual stag inserts, the narra wood and horse bone on the kris balisong from Liza Villareal and a group shot of my FHM collection, with my balis ordered from left to right chronographically (oldest ones first). I put a balisong keychain next to the 29 for scale.

I actually think the grooves from the bearings are interesting from an ethnographic point of view. Who knows what will happen to the beautiful, sleepy town of Taal and the balisong industry in the future?
Attached Images

Old 17th February 2010, 03:38 AM   #33
ThePepperSkull

It's good to know they're not just making ones with the blade serrated at the back and with a bottle opener. you know, the "rambo" ones that were so popular a while back?

I quite like the simpler ones.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 03:41 AM   #34
harimauhk

The three I bought from Ona were stamped "ONA'S" on the bottom--you can just about make that out in the first pic. I tried to get a pic of the marking, but I couldn't make one. I personally prefer bearing steel and brass (the kris bladed-one is all brass, while the rest have aluminum channels), but Ona carries aluminum-handled 29s with deer inserts and 440c blades. I guess his are good for EDC because of the light weight and corrosion resistance, but I like the durability of the brass and the razor edge I can put on the bearing steel. Just have to keep them oiled.
Old 17th February 2010, 03:42 AM   #35
harimauhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePepperSkull
It's good to know they're not just making ones with the blade serrated at the back and with a bottle opener. you know, the "rambo" ones that were so popular a while back?

I quite like the simpler ones.
That's exactly how I feel. I didn't even want a "Rambo" bali. I carry a Victorinox Huntsman for when I need to open a bottle!

Mang Ona is a great guy and a real Batangueno barako! He's in great health for his age too--I think he's in his late 60s! Going to have him make me a matching pair of custom balisongs with clips soon.

It might just be the kopeng barako, but I can almost smell the jeep and trike exhaust when I look at this thread!

Last edited by harimauhk; 17th February 2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 17th February 2010, 04:12 AM   #36
ThePepperSkull

Yeah, I'm not too enthused about stainless blades. They're okay for EDC folding knives, but even in balisong knives I'd probably want ball bearing/carbon steel of some sort if I wanted one. They'r illegal here so there'd be no use in me having a Balisong for every day carry though.

He looks like one of my uncles, except my uncle is in his early 50's

(also, did you get my e-mail?)
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 05:47 AM   #37
harimauhk

I don't EDC anything stainless aside from my Nalgene and my SAK. I replied to your last e-mail last night.
Old 11th April 2010, 06:36 AM   #38
harimauhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz

I think though that I lack the technique because the coin is supposed to be pierced through to the other side. My furious stabbing of the defiant coin pierced the coin only halfway at best!
The test was performed with the old 1 Piso coin--the new ones are harder I guess. I picked up seven balisongs this time and I'm waiting for them to arrive by EMS and post...hopefully they make it through OK!

The Customs guy at the airport said "kris!" when my bag went through the X-Ray--I had a two foot long kris and a bolo in there too, but he didn't comment on the bolo. A few minutes later, he came up to me and said, "you know, the fan knife in your suitcase is prohibited. The other guy said I should confiscate it." I told him I only had one and he said, "it's probably better you check in early. I'll tell the guys that you're a good guy. Don't worry." He didn't ask me for money (I thought he would), which was pretty cool. Apparently lots of balis get seized at NAIA, but I always seem to get through just fine (although I did get asked for cotong (is that the right spelling in Tagalog?) in January.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:02 AM   #39
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimauhk
The test was performed with the old 1 Piso coin--the new ones are harder I guess. I picked up seven balisongs this time and I'm waiting for them to arrive by EMS and post...hopefully they make it through OK!

The Customs guy at the airport said "kris!" when my bag went through the X-Ray--I had a two foot long kris and a bolo in there too, but he didn't comment on the bolo. A few minutes later, he came up to me and said, "you know, the fan knife in your suitcase is prohibited. The other guy said I should confiscate it." I told him I only had one and he said, "it's probably better you check in early. I'll tell the guys that you're a good guy. Don't worry." He didn't ask me for money (I thought he would), which was pretty cool. Apparently lots of balis get seized at NAIA, but I always seem to get through just fine (although I did get asked for cotong (is that the right spelling in Tagalog?) in January.
The shipment should get to you I'm sure

Because reading the shipping rules thru the balisongs in post no. 31 above, the balisongs don't fall under any of the prohibited items

Those guys at the Manila [NAIA] airport customs & security are inconsistent, but they tend to be more forgiving especially to tourists and foreigners.

PS - "kotong" is the usual spelling, but "c" is also ok. but of course kotong is not ok

On a related matter, I passed by Lipa City, Batangas yesterday. I took that opportunity to go to the public market to look for some utility bolos.

I was with my wife and both of us know the routine -- I check out the sharp and pointed things, while she checks out the household goods which I think we have enough already. The feeling is mutual as I'm sure all can surmise, and the modus vivendi works out very well

The bolos' price range is from US$ 4, to 10 (the latter being the "disubo" [literally, "was made to swallow"], that is, a bolo with a harder steel metal insert along the cutting edge side.

Here's a pic I took of the some of the bolos, with shop assistant taking the opportunity to pose with his goods:
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 12:32 PM   #40
harimauhk

Thanks for posting that pic up Miguel! I was in Lipa twice last week and I never thought to check the palengke...I went to Robinson's looking for Batangas t-shirts with balisongs on them, but they were sold out. BTW, that kris and bolo (and the sheath I can see) look like the ones I bought in Taal--I was told by Sir Ona that they are from Pangasinan. The kris I bought was a lot bigger though. Ona was ready to sell me his kris for 500 Piso, but I was like, "No thanks. One basura kris is enough."

I also saw similar kris and bolo on Raon in Quiapo on Friday.
Old 13th April 2010, 03:28 AM   #41
migueldiaz

harimauhk, looks like you've been places

i've never been to raon in such a long time. i should check it out soon ...
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 03:42 AM   #42
harimauhk

I bought a santa rosario outside Quiapo church on Friday, and 20 Piso of those roasted peanuts and a Barangay Police t-shirt on Raon.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:59 PM   #43
Dimasalang

Quick vent:
Balisongs in the Philippines are too commercialized now. They always have been, but I think it has taken a turn for the worst the past 5-10 years. They are churning out balis left and right, and the quality has seriously gone down and suffered. Even if you find one that is perfectly made, drilled correctly, and proportioned, it is just the pick of the litter of commercialized pieces. And now they are incorporating cheap plastic inserts and aluminum. As I mentioned earlier, I own several that I hand picked myself from Brgy Balisong in Taal. I remember seeing just boxes and boxes of Balis to be shipped out across the Philippines just made for the market. When I say boxes, I literally mean a box filled to the rim with Balis that are not in packaging. Sigh...what ever happened to taking pride in your work. I also have a Bali that I got from my friend who told me his father used to carry(made in the 60s or 70s). The workmanship surpasses all the recently made balis I own. Im curious to know what happened to all those Batangas smiths who put out those high quality bolos back during the revolutionary era. My roots stem from Batangas and I have traveled up and down that province. And I did not see any bolo that would compare to the quality and detail of the bolos from 100 years ago.

My uncle owns a barber shop here in the states and the wait is 2 hours average just to get a cut by him. There are two other barbers in the shop and their is no wait for them. My uncle always told me, the faster you cut, the quality goes down, along with your clientele...nobodys gonna want to come back. People always want quality, and if they want the best they will pay and wait. Thats how you stay in business.

Batangas still puts out higher quality blades then most other known blade towns and provinces in Luzon. But I can see the quality and trade slipping away. I'd hate to see that Batangas blade reputation go down the drain.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 12:53 AM   #44
harimauhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Quick vent:
Balisongs in the Philippines are too commercialized now. They always have been, but I think it has taken a turn for the worst the past 5-10 years. They are churning out balis left and right, and the quality has seriously gone down and suffered. Even if you find one that is perfectly made, drilled correctly, and proportioned, it is just the pick of the litter of commercialized pieces. And now they are incorporating cheap plastic inserts and aluminum. As I mentioned earlier, I own several that I hand picked myself from Brgy Balisong in Taal. I remember seeing just boxes and boxes of Balis to be shipped out across the Philippines just made for the market. When I say boxes, I literally mean a box filled to the rim with Balis that are not in packaging. Sigh...what ever happened to taking pride in your work. I also have a Bali that I got from my friend who told me his father used to carry(made in the 60s or 70s). The workmanship surpasses all the recently made balis I own. Im curious to know what happened to all those Batangas smiths who put out those high quality bolos back during the revolutionary era. My roots stem from Batangas and I have traveled up and down that province. And I did not see any bolo that would compare to the quality and detail of the bolos from 100 years ago.

My uncle owns a barber shop here in the states and the wait is 2 hours average just to get a cut by him. There are two other barbers in the shop and their is no wait for them. My uncle always told me, the faster you cut, the quality goes down, along with your clientele...nobodys gonna want to come back. People always want quality, and if they want the best they will pay and wait. Thats how you stay in business.

Batangas still puts out higher quality blades then most other known blade towns and provinces in Luzon. But I can see the quality and trade slipping away. I'd hate to see that Batangas blade reputation go down the drain.
Interesting viewpoint--thanks for sharing. Yes, I believe balisongs are being made just for the market--the older FHMs I've seen look like they were much better made, and I've seen lots of aluminum used in current balis. I also saw a lot of Chinese balisongs and automatics in Barangay Balisong and Buli, which saddened me a great deal. You can still get quality items made, however, but you won't get them off the rack--you have to custom order them and the price is higher, but IMO it's worth it.

As someone who cuts their own hair and uses a straight razor to get it right, I totally agree with your uncle--quality always wins over quantity IMO.

It looks like the seven balisongs I sent myself didn't make it through--I believe the fat dude at the post office stole them, but it could have been Customs. I'll give PhilPost a call a little later. I sent myself four by EMS and another three by regular mail, so the last three might still turn up.
Old 15th April 2010, 01:57 AM   #45
Dimasalang

^^^
Glad you understand what I was getting at. Not that recent Balis from Batangas are all junk...It is just that you can start to see a decline. I still wouldn't mind owning any..even a junked one, I can fix myself.

Good luck with the shipment. I ordered a aluminum training bolo from Manila. Took a hell of a long time to reach me. I got it yesterday and it was opened by customs. Youll know it was held up when you see all the customs and homeland security tape.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 02:54 AM   #46
harimauhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
^^^
Glad you understand what I was getting at. Not that recent Balis from Batangas are all junk...It is just that you can start to see a decline. I still wouldn't mind owning any..even a junked one, I can fix myself.

Good luck with the shipment. I ordered a aluminum training bolo from Manila. Took a hell of a long time to reach me. I got it yesterday and it was opened by customs. Youll know it was held up when you see all the customs and homeland security tape.
Was your bolo sent by Regular Airmail or by EMS? I contacted the local post office and they said that the EMS package never even got here. Friday was a public holiday in the Philippines, and then the weekend, but my last EMS package from Manila got here in two working days. Some of the balisongs I had in the EMS package were very special. I sent a very lightweight bali with white bone inserts back. It was one of the two I first bought in January. I also sent back the one with the Eagle tang and the one with the exposed tip (called a busebuse, or circumcised penis, in Tagalog...lol). I also put in the 24 cm one with kamagong inserts (shaped to have 8 sides...forgot what it's called in Tagalog) and the double edged 24 cm with horse bone inserts. Three of those balis were in leather sheaths.

At least I got the kris, bolo and the new usa (stag) balisong back home safe.
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2010, 01:04 AM   #47
harimauhk

Got the first four and the last three should be here Monday morning. Amazing it took so long when Manila is only a two-hour flight from HK!
Old 7th May 2010, 02:43 AM   #48
harimauhk

All of them made it--the one with the exposed blade is a busese. Still learning.
Attached Images