Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 1st October 2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Balinese keris

Maybe 19th century 9 Luk Balinese keris. Is the Dapur: Carang Soka? The circled part is new to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anthony G.; 1st October 2018 at 04:37 PM.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Jean

Carang Soka is a Javanese dapur type and it includes a kembang kacang according to the EK.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 09:34 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Anthony, dhapur names and characteristics are not constant, there can even be differences in the name of a dhapur between the name used in Solo, and the name used in Jogja for a keris with the same characteristics. I feel that where we do not have a correct local name for a particular dhapur, we are perhaps best not to use a dhapur name at all, but where necessary describe the keris by use of its characteristics.

I am unsure what it is about this keris that is new to you. You have circled part of the tikel alis, is this the part that is new to you?

In Javanese keris it is generally accepted that a tikel alis that goes through to the front of the gandhik is an older style of tikel alis than a tikel alis that does not go through to the front of the gandhik.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Anthony, dhapur names and characteristics are not constant, there can even be differences in the name of a dhapur between the name used in Solo, and the name used in Jogja for a keris with the same characteristics. I feel that where we do not have a correct local name for a particular dhapur, we are perhaps best not to use a dhapur name at all, but where necessary describe the keris by use of its characteristics.

I am unsure what it is about this keris that is new to you. You have circled part of the tikel alis, is this the part that is new to you?

In Javanese keris it is generally accepted that a tikel alis that goes through to the front of the gandhik is an older style of tikel alis than a tikel alis that does not go through to the front of the gandhik.

hi Alan

The circled part is new to me and i cannot find much info. Is it part of Balinese blade style and what is it called. Circled part called tikel?
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:28 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

I understand your question to be directed at the curved kruwingan work that runs parallel to the sogokan, then curves towards and through the gandhik. If this is so, that curved sculpting in the blade is named as "tikel alis", it is a very common feature and occurs in many blade forms.

In this Balinese blade it is very distinct, and Balinese blades are recognised as often having the characteristic of deep and very obvious sculpting of characteristics, in addition, it is an older form of tikel alis that goes right through to the front of the gandhik.

Yes, it is hard not to notice it, but it is common, its just that in this Bali blade it is very distinct.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:15 AM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I understand your question to be directed at the curved kruwingan work that runs parallel to the sogokan, then curves towards and through the gandhik. If this is so, that curved sculpting in the blade is named as "tikel alis", it is a very common feature and occurs in many blade forms.

In this Balinese blade it is very distinct, and Balinese blades are recognised as often having the characteristic of deep and very obvious sculpting of characteristics, in addition, it is an older form of tikel alis that goes right through to the front of the gandhik.

Yes, it is hard not to notice it, but it is common, its just that in this Bali blade it is very distinct.
Thank you. I learnt something today from this post. Cheers