Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2014, 05:30 PM   #1
swordsmith

Default UNKNOWN TRIBAL HELMET - HELP WITH ID

Hello.

This one has baffled me - does anyone have any idea where it could be from? Is made from cowhide which is now rock hard. African?

Regards,

Harvey
Attached Images

swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 09:43 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Unusual, but interesting. My best guess is that its either a native copy of a European pith helmet, or something made in Africa by an early European colonial, using locally available materials. Any provenance to the piece ?
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Colin's well placed assessment, and that this is probably a native fabrication imitating a colonial pith helmet and from an African location where cattle are prevalent.
It is actually quite common for native artisans to create copies of colonial armor and indeed helmets using locally available materials, and there are many analogous examples.
In West Africa, native warriors in Benin developed armor cuirasses and helmets using pangolin (scaly ant eater) hide which were presumably from as early as the presence of Portuguese traders in those coastal regions. While these tough 'armored' hides were effective due to their protective qualities, much of the concept was probably symbolic as well, as these animals were virtually invulnerable to attack. In many cases garments were made of cloth but with scales representing that invulnerability.

In colonial New Spain, in northern Mexico and American Southwest, while almost cliché images show Spanish soldiers wearing the combed morion helmets, there are a good number of examples of simple rawhide helmets known. It is unclear whether these were worn by Spanish soldiers wearing ersatz types of helmets or whether fashioned and worn by Indian allies, but the ones I have seen recall this type of production. Using dried cattle hide, these indeed become very hard and effective protective gear.

Other cases exist of course in many cultural spheres, such as the native made copies of Spanish morions in Moro setting in the Philippines, and there must be many others.

This helmet of undetermined African regional attribution is most interesting and hopefully other examples might be brought in.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 06:36 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

It is certainly interesting, but honestly it does not look all that old. Not made yesterday, but i would stop short of describing it as "early colonial". The leather looks in pretty good shape, i don't see much staining on the inside that i would expect to see from wear and there isn't too much balding of the fur on the outside of the helmet. I would guess this is from the second half of the 20th century at best.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree, this is not that old, though I think what was being suggested was that it was a native copy of a European pith helmet, or of such forms made by colonials in these regions in earlier times. These then possibly became part of traditional items made by locals.

One of the things that became quite common in colonial settings was indeed that keeping arms and armor serviceable was difficult at best as supplies were not readily available and long periods between replenishment was typical. In the Spanish colonial settings in the American Southwest, it was well established that cuir boulli ( boiled leather armor) remained in use into the 18th century, centuries after becoming essentially obsolete in Europe.

It seems like fashioning leather items was well established in Kenya with the Maasai using cowhide for shields as well as the Zulu tribes far to the south in Africa who also used cowhide on their shields. It seems unusual to see headgear using cowhide though .
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 12:25 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I agree, this is not that old, though I think what was being suggested was that it was a native copy of a European pith helmet…
Thanks Jim, i'm glad we agree, but i was responding to Colin's suggestion, not yours…
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Thanks Jim, i'm glad we agree, but i was responding to Colin's suggestion, not yours…
Salaams, With respect David; So are we now only responding to originators suggestions or is this still a Forum concept where everyone is capable of joining in?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote