Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2010, 06:53 AM   #31
kronckew

the last bag of beans i bought was sumatran, it was quite tasty, i think i still have some beans in the freezer. the last bag of already ground i bought as an experiment was tesco's 'value range', the cheapest in the supermarket. it was also quite tasty, i was surprised. goes to show price is not everything. i must admit to using a dark roast instant in the morning when i am half awake and stumbling around trying to start my engines. there are two things that make life worthwhile, one of them is coffee...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 11:44 AM   #32
Boedhi Adhitya

I believe the very basic 'idea' of Kopi Luwak is the wild luwak would only pick the ripe coffee beans for his dinner. When the luwak is put on cage and feed by human, then the 'luwak-picked coffee bean' is gone.
I believe there is another method where people would herd the luwak through the coffee plantation and let the luwak picks the coffee beans.
Certainly, the luwak ingestion track would alter the coffee taste, but ripe coffee beans also important.

It is worth to note that a wood from coffee tree makes a good alternative material for keris sheath. It has mild brown colour and smooth grain.

Well, at least I mention 'keris' once
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:32 PM   #33
A. G. Maisey

Very possibly Boedhi. Very possibly.

If kopi luwak from cage kept luwak can be sold for 7 juta, I wonder what the value of kopi luwak from wild luwak might be?

Imagine the difficulty:- treking through the coffee groves searching for luwak droppings. That's what we could call labour intensive.

Incidentally, I did try supposedly wild kopi luwak from Sumatra a couple of times. My memory of it is that it was no better and no worse than the stuff I've tried from Bali.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 07:58 PM   #34
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
the last bag of beans i bought was sumatran, it was quite tasty, i think i still have some beans in the freezer. the last bag of already ground i bought as an experiment was tesco's 'value range', the cheapest in the supermarket. it was also quite tasty, i was surprised. goes to show price is not everything. i must admit to using a dark roast instant in the morning when i am half awake and stumbling around trying to start my engines. there are two things that make life worthwhile, one of them is coffee...
I feel a bit less shame .

Diederich French Roast is our staple K cup .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 08:47 PM   #35
asomotif

Stumbled into this weird thread...

When will Nespresso present their special kopi Luwak cups

Ps.
Quote:
Keurig .
What is "keurig" ?
In dutch it means : decent
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 11:25 PM   #36
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Keurig is the name of this Dutch 1 cup kopi maker .
The name aptly describes the end product .. IMO .

Well, if we are going to Snowmen now; let me express my sentiments about this Winter :
Attached Images

Old 5th March 2010, 12:04 AM   #37
asomotif

Auch !

Don't let my daughter see this.
You killed the snowman.
I bet you also let him melt down slowly...
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 02:24 AM   #38
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

The faster the better my friend .
Old 8th March 2010, 09:30 AM   #39
A. G. Maisey

What Boedhi said about luwaks and ripe coffee beans got me thinking. I'd heard this comment from somebody else too, years ago, but had forgotten it. So I thought it might be an idea to follow up on what the wife's relos do with their luwaks and how they produce the coffee.

I've had the coffee they produce a few times, but I've never visited them, and only know what I've been told, that they keep the luwaks in a cage and feed them the coffee beans.

Funny the way things get lost in translation.

I got my wife to ring them and find out exactly how they run this kopi luwak hobby.

It turns out that the "cage" in which the luwaks are kept covers about 3 hectares (about 7 1/2 acres), and it encloses a coffee grove as well as some more or less natural ground cover.

The area is tended by 10 gardeners who look after the luwaks , the coffee trees, and the enclosure, and gather the luwaks droppings for processing.

So yes, the luwaks do choose the best and ripest coffee fruits to eat.

Even when kept in a "cage".
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 05:34 PM   #40
David
Keris forum moderator

BTW gentlemen (and any lurking ladies ), the subject of coffee is never off topic in a coffee house.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 06:18 PM   #41
Jussi M.

New season, pics are from two hours ago

Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote