Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th June 2014, 05:10 AM   #1
Marbel

Default Bagobo Sword - insights & thoughts please

Hello,

I was able to secure this piece recently as am very interested in knowing more about it from all the experts here on this board. Any and all insights and thoughts are welcome.

I'm confident that it is Bagobo and is ceremonial. The scabbard itself measures 19". The blade (not including the handle) measures 15.5". The chain extended and unhooked measures 33". It's a large, heavy and impressive piece.

You'll also notice the markings on the blade (which point me - among other things - in the direction of Bagobo).

Sadly, it was damaged in shipping. The two protruding tip pieces at the end of the scabbard tubes were injured. One was bent quite a bit but still attached, the other was broken clean off. A shame, but repairable I assume.

Thanks in advance for your information. Please educate me.
Attached Images

Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 10:00 AM   #2
kai

Hello Marbel,

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
I'm confident that it is Bagobo and is ceremonial.
Here's another example: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18286

Both look like post-WW2 pieces to me, probably much more recent though. While these examples are based on traditional designs I'm not convinced that this type is really being utilized by Bagoboo or other Lumad groups as acoutrements for traditional ceremonies rather than flashy reenactment props sold to those who travel for pleasure...

If you hit Bagobo or Lumad into the forum search, you'll find a good variety of antique examples.

Quote:
Sadly, it was damaged in shipping. The two protruding tip pieces at the end of the scabbard tubes were injured. One was bent quite a bit but still attached, the other was broken clean off. A shame, but repairable I assume.
These were soldered on - should be an easy fix.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I go with Kai on this one. Very recent and still made for the market. Can be repaired without too much difficulty. It is Bagobo for sure.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Spunjer

Hello Marbel! that's quite a nice town (marbel, that is)! haven't been there since i was a kid... welcome!!!
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote