Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th February 2019, 12:23 AM   #61
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

AND I have to include Omani influenced weapons...with dots on blades.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 09:58 AM   #62
Victrix

We discussed four dots marks on swords in an earlier thread. See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=dots . The question whether they could be forge or foundry identification marks, or have religious or superstitious/talismanic functions. If I understand this thread correctly, the three dots seems to be a fairly universal talismanic symbol offering ”protection” and the four dots could be a stronger 360˚ version offering ”protection” viewed from all directions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Victrix; 11th February 2019 at 10:46 AM.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 06:24 PM   #63
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Great point !! Yes agreed and above you see the three khanjar blades with the centre blade protected in all directions and both sides of the blade left and right as well as on the reverse; thus stopping evil from entering blade or hilt...In fact hilts sometimes carry the dots separately as well.. extra empowerment seems to be attached when the dots are in gold or brass/copper material..and it seems Islamic script itself a Talisman sometimes gets the three or four dot treatment. (the 5 dot is in fact unrelated as it stands alone as another Talisman altogether and representative of the five fingers or hand of Fatima often linked to the evil eye protective motif..In fact the saying goes "Heres five in your eye" when that Talisman is illustrated) as below.

As seen on this thread other objects get a similar treatment and I wondered if the transition to moons came as a result of this Talisman although so far as I can deduce moons as such were reserved for blades?
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 11th February 2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:04 PM   #64
Kubur

Gentlemens at this stage of the discussion
I would like to share with you one of the most important fact:
a line is made of two points.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 08:25 PM   #65
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Gentlemens at this stage of the discussion
I would like to share with you one of the most important fact:
a line is made of two points.
Are you saying we are getting a bit ”dotty” here??
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 10:29 PM   #66
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I hesitate to add that we are also going around in circles !!

The question of dots is hardly touched here but the general Talisman focuss I think is well being advanced>> The mathematical wizardry involved in astrology we have hardly noted yet it is vast and pulls in all the mysterious Talisman and magical wonders described by my illustration of the Swordsman built from a star chart in Persia in the early11thC.

Shown below;from the Suwar al-kawakib al-thabita of al-Sufi dated1009-10
Attached Images

Old 13th February 2019, 10:58 PM   #67
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

For a final thrust from the side of proof and discussion looking from the Ottoman advantage I offer the book of Iznic Patterns from more than 10 of the worlds finest museums and 650 plus diagrams and pictures where the chinthimani/ cintimanii gets two full pages dedicated to patterns of Iznic ceramics. The period is known as RHODEAN and covers the early 17th C in artisan production there.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:45 AM   #68
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Here is the book I spoke about above > and the early 17thC Rhodian period patterns; Chintamani
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #69
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

KOUMIYYA with hand in silver(Hand of Fatima) decorating and protecting the weapon from evil; Moroccan superstition is bang up to date in the 21st century with such myths and legends and tradition is alive with ancient beliefs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 15th February 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:59 PM   #70
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
KOUMIYYA with hand in silver(Hand of Fatima) decorating and protecting the weapon from evil; Moroccan superstition is bang up to date in the 21st century with such myths and legends and tradition is alive with ancient beliefs.

This is a great representation of the use of the hand in Islamic talisman context. While this theme seems to be present broadly through the Dar al-Islam, it does seem to be represented in other manner geometically as in the shape of a triangle. In Central Asia this become a device known as the "Afghan Amulet' (if I recall there is a book by that title) which was used in similar context.
In the Sahara, the Kabyles used the triangular shape in a linear fashion on their familiar 'flyssa' swords and these along with other devices were intended in apotropaic fashion in the 'folk' religions nominally aligned with Islamic Faith.

These traditions extend through the Maghreb which of course include Morocco, and much of the Berber sphere.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2019, 05:09 PM   #71
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Here is the book I spoke about above > and the early 17thC Rhodian period patterns; Chintamani

This is truly an intriguing look into use of the 'cintamani' device so well known in 'Oriental' textiles applied in the design motifs on this pottery. From what I understand the term Iznic refers to the town in the 'Asia Minor' regions (Western Anatolia) and as well noted, the pottery they were known for.
The Ottoman empire of course transmitted this as well as many such artistic influences through their trade and colonization.

Excellent perspective in a venue I had not thought of, and well illustrates the many aspects of material culture outside the arms context which can help us learn more on the markings we find on them .
Old 15th February 2019, 05:16 PM   #72
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Are you saying we are getting a bit ”dotty” here??

Good quip Victrix!

Indeed 'connecting the dots' can be a bit maddening as we try to make sense out of these conundrums, and as Ibrahiim has noted.....we can often seem to be going in circles ......but these discussions can systematically map out the situations and circustances for better investigation.

The knowledge base and diversity of the membership here is phenomenal, and there is no better place to bring these things into the light.

We all share in the adventure.......and 'the games afoot!!'.
Old 16th February 2019, 11:38 AM   #73
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thank you Jim for balancing the thread so far. I was reading about Tipu Sultan (The Tiger of Mysore) and noted Talisman devices on the famous cannon also decorated in Tigers …from http://www.mia.org.qa/en/tigers-dream/tipu-cannon

Quote"
The triumphant lion of God.

Like many other objects in this exhibition, this cannon is laden with tigers and inscriptions. The tiger motif is most forcefully expressed by the snarling tiger heads at the muzzle (front), trunnions (on the sides) and cascabel (back) of the gun barrel. Within a pair of tiger stripes on the barrel, an inscription calls on the ‘triumphant lion of God’, a phrase found regularly in calligraphic designs of this period. This inscription also provides the place and date of manufacture, while the presence of the heart-shaped ‘Haydar’ talisman shows that the cannon was cast at the sultan’s foundry".Unquote.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 16th February 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 17th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #74
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Broadening the search I have to include Alem >>>THe Islamic battle standard that also spread onto some blades SEE https://no.pinterest.com/pin/2568459...64161/?lp=true

And for a bladed example On a Safavid sword below;
Attached Images

Old 18th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #75
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

In searching for the perfect battle scene where the Alam is deployed as a battle banner in the role as a Psychological weapon I found this in https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/past-exhibitions
Attached Images

Old 18th February 2019, 04:17 PM   #76
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
In searching for the perfect battle scene where the Alam is deployed as a battle banner in the role as a Psychological weapon I found this in https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/past-exhibitions

Yet another amazing illustration!! Thank you for all the time you spend seeking all of these to help us better understand many of the salient points you place in these threads.

I am a bit puzzled on the 'alem', which is an item not often covered in discussions of Islamic arms. I had thought it was a metal device usually placed atop a pole, in the manner of a polearm or spear and was used as a guidon in forming and directing bodies of troops.

These it seems were often lavished with elaborate Quranic passages and symbolism (much as thuluth covered examples in Sudan), but I was not aware these included textile banners.

The talismanic (psychological) properties are clear however, as these kinds of inscriptions and invocations compel warriors as they move forward into battle.
Old 19th February 2019, 10:10 AM   #77
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thanks Jim, I read that banners or more likely pennants were tied beneath Alam finials and soaked in the enemys blood would greatly empower the battle ensign (alam_) … See https://www.bing.com/images/search?...iri&FORM=HDRSC2 Below~

An interesting depiction of a procession typical of those of pilgrims going to Mecca with flags waving covered in emblems of their faith ...this was recorded as 13thC. It would seem reasonable that battle Alams would incorporate smaller pennants attached for added Talismanic power and inspired by similar religious flag inscriptions.

On closer inspection note Alam and flags as well as pennants are tied to the Alam poles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th February 2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 19th February 2019, 11:47 AM   #78
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Evidence of the Alam plus pennant tradition of combined flag and Alam which transferred to Battle Ensign style and it seems that the potent Talisman effect would be greatly enhanced by the pennants being covered in the blood of the opponents!

I searched for https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ri&FORM=HDRSC2 as to clues on the combination of flag/pennant and Alam and arrived at an astonishing artwork below ~

The procession which appears to be a wedding group parading along with musicians but led by the several Alam of rectangular form with finials with religious script and pennants tied high on the poles...again decorated in religious script.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th February 2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 19th February 2019, 08:20 PM   #79
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Evidence of the Alam plus pennant tradition of combined flag and Alam which transferred to Battle Ensign style and it seems that the potent Talisman effect would be greatly enhanced by the pennants being covered in the blood of the opponents!

I searched for https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ri&FORM=HDRSC2 as to clues on the combination of flag/pennant and Alam and arrived at an astonishing artwork below ~

The procession which appears to be a wedding group parading along with musicians but led by the several Alam of rectangular form with finials with religious script and pennants tied high on the poles...again decorated in religious script.

Excellent!

It makes sense that pethaps the 'alem/alam' in concept as a talisman used as a battle standard as well might have the term used more broadly. I think that the term 'talisman' may extend beyond its well known definition of protection and bringing good fortune to that of inspiration in a sense.

These factors are certainly in mind in battle, and warriors would be more inspired to fight with these elements present..........inspiration.

We know that inscriptions such as the thuluth on Sudanese swords were inscribed with invocations in such talismanic sense and these were present on known examples of alem in the Mahdist campaigns.

While I had thought of the alem as being a device in the shape of an enlarged spear head on a pole, it was certainly also present in the manner of finial on the shafts carrying battle standards and flags.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:47 AM   #80
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The tradition of carrying in procession such Religious pennants attached to Alam goes back as far as can be imagined thus can be seen in artwork back to the time of the founder of Islam seen below advancing on Mecca...accompanied by his entourage and angels. Battle Alam and Islamic pennants attached therefor go back to the beginning of that religion and accompany pilgrims processions and warring groups as Talisman and inspiring soldiers and civilians alike.
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2019, 03:07 PM   #81
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Add photos

Quote:
The tradition of carrying in procession such Religious pennants attached to Alam goes back as far as can be imagined thus can be seen in artwork back to the time of the founder of Islam seen below advancing on Mecca...accompanied by his entourage and angels. Battle Alam and Islamic pennants attached therefor go back to the beginning of that religion and accompany pilgrims processions and warring groups as Talisman and inspiring soldiers and civilians alike.

The tradition of such banners and pennants does indeed go back far into history as you describe, and these artworks representing early Islam signify such importance. Often the use of banners or flags in art in itself become a symbolic device holding reference to deeper matters in the subject matter.

In Turco-Mongol and Turkic khanates, later Ottoman, the use of a standard known as a tugh, typically with mounted devices and flowing yak or horse tails was carried ahead of the forces. The word 'tug' apparently means flagstaff and in the Ottoman devices known as 'tughra', the three vertical lines on top of the symbol represent the tugh.

That the devices mounted atop these banners would carry important invocations and religious phrases is not surprising, and their symbolism augmented the character of the banner flown. This symbolism was inspirational as well as talismanically oriented and powerfully seen by those following it.

The tughra, as we know was often placed on sword blades, and in the manner of patriotic or emboldening phrases displayed the loyalty of the owner to the ruler. This was the case with many devices and symbols on blades in many cultures and circumstances.

The images are the tugh standards and the other (which looks almost amoeba like) is a tughra....the vertical lines at right represent flag staffs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st February 2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:58 PM   #82
Norman McCormick

Hi,
The Shellenbaum of the German Army, the Chapeau Chinois of the Legion Etrangere etc., would appear to be another incarnation of this form of standard.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:58 AM   #83
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Talisman in a Fort!! FORT JABRIN OMAN BUILT FOR THE THIRD DYNASTY YARUBA IN ABOUT 1680. THE MAGIC EYE. A MASSIVE TALISMAN COVERING THE ENTIRE CEILING
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2019, 10:26 AM   #84
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

A quick note on the 3 dot form...and its relative shapes and beliefs.

Reference;
A. NACI ERENs BOOK TURKISH HANDMADE CARPETS PAGE 52.

Notes on the subject of Talisman in rugs and carpets; a popular design using a triangle (and this is very common in Afghanistan) Quote." Another design which was used as much as the Rams Horn was the Muska (Talisman). It is triangular in shape and it must have descended from the triple belief which represented the three gods SKY SUN FIRE of the ancient Turks. In due course it came to represent the three powers of the new religion Islam Creation/ Letting Survive/ Taking away Life One expert indicated that the use of a Talisman together with the triple belief suggests that the Turks in accepting the religion also opened its doors adapting to the full structure of Islamic Talisman and beliefs". Unquote.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 23rd February 2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 24th February 2019, 08:36 AM   #85
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ibrahiim
Thank you so much for the intriguing example of the 'eye' applied to an entire ceiling! While we are familiar with this device being used on weapons and in other material culture talismanically, it is remarkable to see it in such large scale as in architecture. WHAT AN AMAZING EXAMPLE!

Also thank you for the keen insight into the triangle which of course comprises the three dot configuration and its associated symbolisms in geometric form. In Afghanistan as you note it is well known in textiles in a talismanic sense as described by Sheila Payne ("The Afghan Amulet" 1994).
This is a fascinating account of this use of a symbolic device in this manner.
Old 24th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #86
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
The Shellenbaum of the German Army, the Chapeau Chinois of the Legion Etrangere etc., would appear to be another incarnation of this form of standard.
Regards,
Norman.

Norman, EXCELLENT EXAMPLE!!! This would seem the Germanic tribes interpretation of these kinds of standards probably from the Migration Period and thereby from even Roman origins, It seems these were often in the manner if windsocks , temptingly suggesting wind direction for loosing of arrows in addition to the formation centering use.
Old 26th February 2019, 01:35 PM   #87
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

AN important Islamic Talisman is the Zulfiqar forked blade configuration often seen on battle banners ~From might and magic
From the Metropolitan Museum. SEE https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/rumi...arms-and-armor

Quote."What becomes immediately clear in this exhibition is how some motifs designed to avert evil were ubiquitous throughout the Islamic world. For example, each of the exhibition's three geographic sections—Iran, Turkey, and India and Southeast Asia—references Dhu'l Fiqar, a bifurcated sword imbued with miraculous powers that the Prophet Muhammad gave 'Ali, his cousin and son-in-law, in 625 A.D. during the Battle of Uhud. Dhu'l Fiqar prominently adorns a large Ottoman sançak (banner), which is also emblazoned with inscriptions that point to its likely use in a military context."Unquote>

Below; Banner, dated A.H. 1235/A.D. 1819–20. Turkey, probably Istanbul. Islamic. Silk, metal-wrapped thread; lampas, brocaded; H. 115 3/4 in. (294 cm), W. 85 1/2 in. (217.2 cm). The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Fletcher Fund, 1976 (1976.312)
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2019, 01:59 PM   #88
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

As a link to many Talisman in the Islamic World please see

https://metmuseum.org/toah/hd/tali/hd_tali.htm

I think it helps put our work on this thread into perspective...
Old 4th March 2019, 04:38 PM   #89
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

;

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 5th March 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 4th March 2019, 06:11 PM   #90
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good suggestion!!! The use of floral and vegetal motif can often have talismanic symbolism in many cases, while other are toward dynastic leitmotif or any number of such applications.
I know that Jens has pursued this line of investigation for more years than I can even say, and has brought up important uses in decorative themes many times.
I think one of the most significant has been the use of the poppy, and that may be the best starting points.