Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th July 2012, 08:35 PM   #31
rickystl

Norman: Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

Michael: Don't know how I missed that in the second Post?

Thanks, Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 09:43 PM   #32
rickystl

Pneumatic un-loader for flintlock. In case you and your associates are interested. Rick.
Attached Images

Old 27th July 2012, 02:58 PM   #33
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Attempts to remove whatever is in the bore have so far been unsuccessful but this piece of material, wadding?, and what might be small pieces of hard 'grease' was attached to the screw upon withdrawal. I would appreciate your opinions on it. I will make a tool with a deeper thread and have another go!
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 03:10 PM   #34
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
Attempts to remove whatever is in the bore have so far been unsuccessful but this piece of material, wadding?, and what might be small pieces of hard 'grease' was attached to the screw upon withdrawal. I would appreciate your opinions on it. I will make a tool with a deeper thread and have another go!
Regards,
Norman.
Keep going mate.

This looks like the same flaxen material used in the maufacture of old sword canes. Perhaps this is part of an old late 19th/early 20th century method of deactivation.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 04:43 PM   #35
Norman McCormick

Hi Gav,
You could be right, don't know whether it is an old 'de-ac' plug or a ball and charge. Never having had a sword cane what is the flaxen material used for? Thanks for having a look.
My Regards,
Norman.
Old 27th July 2012, 06:37 PM   #36
rickystl

Hi Norman. As Gav said: "keep going" !! This does indeed look like tow, especially with the remenants of hard greese. Hmmmm. Assuming for a moment that there is still a ball and powder in the barrel, this tow may have been inserted on TOP of the ball to act as a moisture repellant? while carrying. Just a thought. But yes, please keep us updated. I'm so curious to see if there is indeed a load in the barrel. Thanks again, Rick.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:14 PM   #37
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Norman,

This indeed looks to me like the drilled-out remains of a heavily cup-grease felt wad inserted as a conservative treatment by a curator of some arsenal in the 19th c.
I have often seen these and at least one is preserved in perfect condition in my collection.

How far back of the muzzle did you locate it and was there any sort of load right behind it?
If it was inserted after the gun's active service it should have been set close to the muzzle - as sort of a dust plug.

Best,
m

Last edited by Matchlock; 27th July 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 07:26 PM   #38
Norman McCormick

Hi Rick,
A few outcomes possible here, let's hope it is an interesting one. Will keep you posted.
My Regards,
Norman.

Hi Michael,
This material was gathered form inside the barrel about 6.5cm in front of the touchhole so well down the barrel and not near the muzzle. There is a harder substance behind it and by the clunk of the ramrod it sounds like lead, whether a ball or a plug I don't know. I am in the process of making a tool to extract the 'lead' if indeed it is possible to get it out. Will let you know soon how I get on. Thanks for your continued interest.
My Regards,
Norman
Old 27th August 2012, 03:30 PM   #39
Norman McCormick

Hi,
A little update. I decided to insert a cocktail stick into the touchhole just to see if the 'blockage' went all the way, should have done this before. The area is free of any obstruction and I can hear the distinct rasp of grains!!! when moving the cocktail stick. As you can see the end of the stick is black and it smells of gunpowder, see photo. Am going to the tool store tomorrow so I hope to get a few bits to aid in the extraction process. Thanks for your continued interest.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2012, 04:01 PM   #40
Atlantia

Quote:
Hi,
Regards,
Norman.

They were firing their Sporrans at us pesky English!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 07:30 PM   #41
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
They were firing their Sporrans at us pesky English!

Gene, Gene, Gene, ya dinna reelly think a Son or Daughter of Caledonia would hurl anythin wi coins in it at anybuddy, never mind an ENGLISHMAN and another thing before ye ask, there is nothing at all worn under the Kilt it's all in perfect working order.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:12 AM   #42
Atlantia

Quote:
Gene, Gene, Gene, ya dinna reelly think a Son or Daughter of Caledonia would hurl anythin wi coins in it at anybuddy, never mind an ENGLISHMAN and another thing before ye ask, there is nothing at all worn under the Kilt it's all in perfect working order.

LMAO!!! Brilliant.

Very nice gun BTW! I see now why Alex Salmond wants independance, it's to keep the English from being able to come over the border and steal away all your great buys!
Old 28th August 2012, 01:21 PM   #43
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Gene, Gene, Gene, ya dinna reelly think a Son or Daughter of Caledonia would hurl anythin wi coins in it at anybuddy, never mind an ENGLISHMAN.
C'mon young lad; no swearing in this joint
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 05:27 PM   #44
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
C'mon young lad

Friend for life.
Old 28th August 2012, 05:37 PM   #45
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
LMAO!!! Brilliant.

Very nice gun BTW! I see now why Alex Salmond wants independance, it's to keep the English from being able to come over the border and steal away all your great buys!

SSSSSHHHH Gene, keep this to yourself. All the great buys I get are from a wee shop in Bannockburn.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:53 PM   #46
rickystl

Quote:
Hi,
A little update. I decided to insert a cocktail stick into the touchhole just to see if the 'blockage' went all the way, should have done this before. The area is free of any obstruction and I can hear the distinct rasp of grains!!! when moving the cocktail stick. As you can see the end of the stick is black and it smells of gunpowder, see photo. Am going to the tool store tomorrow so I hope to get a few bits to aid in the extraction process. Thanks for your continued interest.
Regards,
Norman.
Hi Norman! Oh GREAT!!! Now we know there is powder in the breech of the barrel. It's now likely there is a lead ball in front of the powder. And, if your luck continues, there may be a patch between the powder and ball. There is no telling how long that load has been in there. As you have probably surmised by now, I'm thrilled with all of this. Wish I was there with you as your "helper" in extracting that load. Did you consider the compressed air method? Anyway, thanks so much for the update!! Keep us Posted. Rick.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:01 PM   #47
Atlantia

Quote:
SSSSSHHHH Gene, keep this to yourself. All the great buys I get are from a wee shop in Bannockburn.

I know, and they only sell to 'locals'.
I could disguise myself, but I couldnee doo the accent, I canee roll my rrrr's!