Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th April 2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Pieje

Default Wooden Igorot shield

Hi,

This wooden shield was brought back from the Philippines between 1977 and 1980. It belonged to the Igorot tribe, headhunters of the Bontoc Province. Does anyone have a idea about its age?
Attached Images

Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Pieje,

welcome to the forum. Nice looking shield which seems to be extremely used. I am not an expert but here are others who know very good about these area of collecting. I would guess that it is a warrior shield from beginng of the 20th century. What are the reinforcing at the sides of the shield? It is most probable a Bontoc shield.

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 15th April 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 01:50 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Sajen that it is beginning of the 20 century and Bontoc tribe (one of the Igorot tribes).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Pieje

Thumbs up

Thanks!
This reinforcing is a sort of iron web on both sides of the shield.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Indianajones

Hello Pieje, wel actually -as I am a long time collector of N.-Philippine tribal art- this however typically looking Bontoc-Igorot shield could firstly be older than expected; I reckognise the yellowishness of the wood and it is probably very dry; it may be slightly older than 1900.
Interesting enough your shield has a few 'features' I have not seen before! 1. is the 'strange' lashing. Normally these shields have a woven rattanband -like yours has- running accross and fixated with (only) criscross going 'stitches'. Yours has a sort of praralel running rattanlines also (above n below)
2. the very ends of each projection or 'legs' have notches carved in them.

The tribal name for these shields is 'kalasag' , which name surprisingly is shared by almost all tribes in Luzon.

The 'damaged' sides of the shield are actually a good sign of authentic use. During wartime (before and/or after) all warriors would celebrate and while walking in a row tap with a stick on the sides of their shield. These shields where therefore also sometimes reffered to 'gaklab' ; sound of tapping on the shields.

Because of these features I suspect your shield could also be from South -Kalinga tribe (North of Bontoc). I also have -now I remember- a set of Mother of pearlornaments which also show these carved notches on the sides.

congrats with this nice shield.Best,

Last edited by Indianajones; 16th April 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Pieje

Thumbs up

Thanks for this very detailed reply, I appreciate. Nice to know it’s very likely a good piece. Circa 1900 is much more than I expected.
Any idea about the iron wiring on both edges?
Old 16th April 2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Indianajones

The iron additions are probably of American soldier items (perhaps the iron innerwork of military verhicletires??) which they got hold of -including the nails- and added to the shield to protect it extra from the sides from blows of headaxes.
Although the South Kalinga's and Bontocs have lots in (cultural) common, they are also since early times (headhunting/killing) enemies from eachother.
I suppose these additions were done AFTER the actual manufacture of the shield? They are in any way certainly very practical in the sense of warfare and actual war-use of the shield.
Glad to help
(I'l look up n post a picture of a South Kalinga which is stored in my other comp. soon)
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote