Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th March 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
estcrh

Default 2013 Timonium Ethnographic Arms Seminar.

I would like to thank Lee, Artzi and Avner Yarom and anyone else who helped with the seminar and dinner. The location was the Timonium Crowne Plaza Hotel, which is located just a few minutes from the Maryland State Fairgrounds were the weapons show was located, Auctions Imperial's auction was right next door in the same hotel, it took place immediately after the seminar. The seminar was the perfect place to relax, talk to people, and learn something new. I would definitely plan on attending next year.

Michael Marlow's presentation of "NON-MANDAU SWORDS AND DAGGERS OF BORNEO" was excellent, Michael obviously spent years studying the subject of his presentation and it really showed, he brought a variety of swords to display, I gained a real appreciation of these weapons which I had previously only seen in photographs.

Jeff Pringle's presentation was called "SHERLOCKIAN SWORD ADVENTURES", Jeff has researched the methods used to decorate ancient sword hilts, Lee brought his incredible viking sword with the hilt partially reconstructed by Jeff, who showed how sword hilts were cut with channels and wire would be pounded into the channels in order to cover the hilt with a pattern of precious metals.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
VVV

Thanks,

Just to clarify, all the nice Borneo swords on the table is from fellow Borneo collector CharlesS's collection.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 06:46 PM   #3
mross

WOW! That viking is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 04:34 AM   #4
estcrh

Michael thanks for clearing that up, I have to thank CharlesS for taking the risk of bringing his swords to the seminar, being able to see them up close was unusual, I do not think I would have had a chance to see these types of swords any were else.

Mross, yes Lee's viking sword is amazing, maybe he or someone else can date it, I can not remember if that ever came up, considering its age and that it was broken in half once and repaired it is still an inspiring weapon, you can just imagine the history behind it.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote