Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th November 2008, 06:07 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Use of Threaded Screws in Sword Hilt Construction

In looking at the design and structure of sword hilts as more complex guards developed, one thing that I consider intriguing is the use of threaded screws in securing components. I had not really thought specifically on this topic until noticing that the use of screws in securing arms of the guard to the pommel were a particularly English feature, while this was not the case on Scottish basket hilts. In recently looking at cuphilts there were also screws securing the cup to pas d'ane.

In wondering just how long the threaded screw had been around, I found this reference:

"...although the earliest specimen of screw in the armour collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art was (in 1928) one in company with three rivets in an Italian 15th century war hammer, and the second oldest in the saddle armour of Jacques Galiot de Genouihac, dated 1527, it was not until after 1550 that examples became more plentiful. Of those 16th century screws examined, all were threaded by the file, and gimlet pointed. It is fairly safe to assume that they were only used by armourers, locksmiths and instrument makers at that time. Jacques Bessons "Le Cosmolabe" (Paris,1567) shows screws with gimlet points and thumb grips and a button head set screw.

Henry C.Mercer, 2000

For some reason it has always seemed that screws had been around longer, and I am wondered just how early they might have been known to have been used in arms and armour, in one form or another, despite the reference to the examples in the Metropolitan in N.Y.
Also, I'd like to know more on use on various sword hilts, and if this might be a key factor in identifying nationality and period.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
katana

Hi Jim ,
good question, I think we have to differensiate between screws and bolts (or screw and nut fastening). Most screws would have been used to fasten one object (wood metal etc) to wood. These metal screws were originally 'modified' nails which seem to have 'arrived' in Europe early 15th C. I say 'arrived' because the principle of the screw was known in the Mediterranean area but were made of wood. The european screws are reported as used in armour and in the manufacture of flintlocks. Fixing the firing mechanisms to the wooden stocks makes sense. Using a screw to fix armour...does not. There are modern 'self tapping' screws than are used to fix metal to metal, these are metal srews that have hardened threads that are 'screwed' into a slightly undersized hole, the 'cutting' action of the thread through the hole provides the 'grip'. If this type of screw was used to fix armour there would be threaded parts of the screw pretruding...which would have to be cut and re-worked......bearing in mind the time and skill to produce one screw...it would be better, quicker and stronger just to use rivets.
A 'nut and bolt' or the 'screw and nut' however, would be better suited. It would take a long time and effort to make one nut and bolt ....and because they were handmade they were 'matched' to each other ie a nut made would not 'fit' another bolt/screw except for the one made for it. The advantage of the 'nut and bolt/screw' would be that armour sections could be removed for repair and then re-bolted together. But the time and effort to manufacture them would suggest than riveting would be the better option.
With mechanical manufacture of screw threads, thread sizes became standardised and were much more quickly produced. This meant that nuts and bolts/screws were interchangeable...as long as the threads were identical.
As regards sword hilts....hilts / guards etc could easily be replaced if fixed with bolts/screw and nuts ...after the standardisation and industrial manufacture.

I am trying to find evidence that 'screws' (bolt type) were fitted to threaded hole ....rather than a 'nut' with swords...in 'earlier times' , but so far I have been unsucessful ( other than 'threaded pommels' ) I don't know about the construction details of the firing mechanisms etc for early firearms ...but I am sure we will see some soon

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow, David, this is a bit more complicated than I thought...and I failed machine shop 101....so basically my target was the screws holding the arms of guard to pommel..I presume a threaded screw into a drilled hole.

Mostly I can just see the illustrations in books, so I cant really examine the components, just see the screws externally.

Great information on the earlier presence of the screw in the Mediterranean out of wood, I imagine the principle was used early in many engineering functions.

I agree that pointed screws sticking through armour would be a problem, reminds me of being in the attic with roofing nails sticking through the roof! ouch!

All the best,
Jim
Old 28th November 2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Looking further, I found more on the early presence of the screw, especially in principle as David has noted. From "The Ancient Engineers" (L. Sprague de Camp, N.Y. 1960, p.240):
"...in Roman times a better press appeared, the screw press, with a capstan for turning the screw. The screw had been invented some time in 3rd or 4th century BC but screws were never very common in antiquity. There were no screw cutting machines except for a simple device, described by the engineer Heron of Alexandria 1st c. AD for cutting female screw threads.Therefore all screw threads or at least all male screw heads, had to be laboriously cut and filed by hand".