Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th June 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
KuKulzA28

Default Question: Chinese spears

I have some questions about the "king of the Chinese weapons".

I myself am going to order some spearheads from a Taiwanese smith I know, and it brought up questions in my head I hadn't considered - namely about the construction of traditional spears, and the variants.

What sort of shafts
Modern wushu (the martial arts inspired exhibition dance performances) is a very poor example of what was traditionally used for murder. I doubt waxwood was preferred because it's so bendy. I'm sure rattan or bamboo may have been used at times, but unless carefully selected and treated, might not be the best material. Any idea what kinds of bamboo were preferred? So hardwoods. Did they use oak, did they have ash? What about so-called "ironwood"? Were the shafts reinforced with metal bands or wire, or just left plain? Or was that just a personal choice.... ?

Did they have butt-spikes?
I know Taiwanese aborigine spears typically had butt-spikes so if the spear was standing vertically, the moisture wouldn't rot the shaft (though the butt-spike would rust). Did the Chinese typically do this for spears? I know they did for pole-arms such as the yanyuedao...

What were the most typical variants?
I know of the "snake-head" spear head which has become a popular style in martial arts schools, the simple diamond shaped spear. Was it popular for it's lightweight and simplicity or because it was more effective? I know there were other variants such as wavy like a keris, or having a spike to hook shields... but was there a systematic categorization, or were there many unique/regional variants? I know the Qing dynasty had official regulations on bows, pole-arms, and sabers.... not sure if the same extended to spears... and I doubt they ever extended to local militias which armed themselves with whatever they could or were provided by a local headman/magistrate/prefect/etc.

What were the dimensions of typical examples?
I've read a translation of 長鎗法選 (long spear method selection) by 程宗猷 of the Ming Dynasty and they describe the changqiang (longspear) as 10.8 feet. Each Chinese foot at the time was about .3 meters, making that 3.24 meters or 10.6 feet in length. Poles used to train spear-fighting in southern styles such as Wing Chun are usually about 8 to 9 feet long (2.44-2.74 m). I understand spears were used by just about every fighting man back then, from thugs, bandits, and pirates, to militia, soldiers, guards, and duelists.... so there's undoubtedly variation... but for a personal spear of a civilian combatant such as a local martial artist, was there a preferred length for 1v1 or 1 vs many sort of combat? I would guess 6 to 8 feet (1.8-2.44 m), because too long and it becomes cumbersome like a pike. Back to official Qing regulations, were there government specified lengths to spears and shafts?

When did the practice of having red tassels come about?
I saw a picture of an old supposedly pirate's spear with a red tassel, though I'm not sure if that's a later add on. I understand tassels have been seen on different weapons of different cultures which can be distracting (and maybe other less practical purpose)... as well as helping to soak up blood to prevent the shaft from becoming slippery or too sticky... Any info on the origins of this practice when it comes to spears?

Do you guys have pictures of your Chinese spears to show their construction?

THANKS!
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote