Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2007, 05:19 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Inscriptions in Navajas, for Chris and who else

Hi Chris,
What i meant to say is i don't have your e-mail adress, to send these directly. I have now copied them to Photobucket and here they are, through the Forum. This way also for who else might be interested.
Kind regards.

Sorry, i thaught they would be closed files
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Chris Evans

Hola Fernando,

Muchisimas gracias.

For those incurable romantics, who like myself, are infatuated with these wonderful folding knives, Spanish navajas, Fernando has kindly made available a list on inscriptions that were commonly etched into the blades. Blades were usually eteched with popular sayings on only one side, as the navaja pointed from right to left.

The least I can do is to translate some of them into English:

Soy de Sevilla: I am from Seville

Soy defensa de mi dueno: I am the defender of my owner

Soy para cortar y no se presta: I am for cutting and not for loan

Viva el honor de mi dueno: Long life to my owners honour

Matare a tus enemigos con la ayuda de Dio: I will kill your enemies, with God's help

En Albacete me izo Ivan Carvajal: I was made in ALbacete by Ivan Carvajal

Soy defensa de mi dueno porque le cuesta el dinero soy de acero fino y fuerte y el que me quirea probal lo bera: I am the defender of my owner. Because he paid good money I am made from strong and fine steel. He who will try me will see that this is so

I should add that the bulk of the cutlers before 1900 were illiterate and their spelling was notoriously bad.

Again, many thanks

Chris
PS. Where did you get this list of inscriptions?
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
fernando

Hi Chris
This list was given to me by an antique Arms seller in Oporto, when i was mentioning a curious inscription engraved in an old sword blade mounted in one of my sword sticks. The only other time i had seen such inscription was in a XVIII century sword i saw at the Military Museum of Oporto:No al amor que no cause tromento ( in one side); Se no es firme conesta me lopagaras ( on the other side ). Quite sugestive, don't you think ? and also with a little mispelling.
Do you want me to go deep into the navajas inscription list origin ?
fernando
Old 9th April 2007, 12:58 AM   #4
Chris Evans

Hi Fernando,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Do you want me to go deep into the navajas inscription list origin ?
fernando

Very kind of you to offer - Why not? It is all good research. There is still a lot to be discovered about navajas.

Cheers
Chris
Old 9th April 2007, 06:07 PM   #5
fernando

Default Egg of Columbus

Hi Chris,
I have asked Mr. Barreto Costa ( that's the name ) how he managed to get the list. He says he has put it up himself, through the years. Being an Arms seller and collector, he buys and signs lots of publications. He started to write down all the inscriptions that came in the support texts of the several navaja examples, in order to make it easy to check on possible specimens he would eventually collect and trade, knowing that many times the inscriptions are faded and rather hard to read and interpreter.
Kind regards
fernando
Old 9th April 2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Just for kicks, here is another navaja, but with this in Afrikaans:

Van aboor in varen ("from a true boar").

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...vaja+afrikaans
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Chris Evans

Hi Fernando,

I am envious of Mr.Costa - He must have handled so many antique navajas! Thanks for making his notes available to us.

Hi Batara,

A fascinating piece, whose history I dearly would love to know. I am sure that on account of that inscription, it is a very valuable navaja.

Cheers
Chris
Old 11th April 2007, 01:12 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm not sure about the history, although I was told by another dealer in African weapons years ago that it is a Voortrekker knife, perhaps before the Great Trek by the Boers in what is now South Africa, when they made a trek up into the Transvaal in Northern South Africa, about 1850. It is crudly hand engraved cursive script.

Usually I'm not much into European, but this puppy caught my eye years ago (for dirt) and have enjoyed it's uniqueness.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Chris Evans

Hi Battara,

Quote:
It is crudly hand engraved cursive script.

Well, that was generally the case with the Spanish cutlers. It may well be that that navaja was custom made for a Boer who was in Spain at the time. I suppose that we'll never know - Most intiguing.

Quote:
Usually I'm not much into European, but this puppy caught my eye years ago (for dirt) and have enjoyed it's uniqueness.
Look after it and enjoy - It is a fascinating and very unusual piece.

Cheers
Chris
Old 1st November 2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Default Inscribed 32 inch Navaja

Hi everyone, I am very new to this website and the use of forums, but am not a new comer with collecting edged weapons.
I am hoping someone out there can help me put together some very hard to read script that is found on my pride and joy, being Australian, Spanish in not a language I grew up with.
With the use of internet tranlators I have worked out the first of the three lines found on the blade and only partially deciphered the other two lines.
The first line reads "Si esta vibora te pica no hay remedio en la botica", "If this viper itches to you there is no remedy in the pharmacy".....too right I say, wouldn't want this fella drawn in anger against me.
The second line reads "___ defensora de mi dueno bas ta el _____ ______", " ___ defender of my owner you go to ______ ______".
The third line is " O le ____ __ Grava __ Labra" ....something like "it burdens working to him" with a few words missing.
Those of you in the know, may know of this inscription or be able to fill in the blanks if fluent in Spanish.
I also remember reading in other forum discussions about the Navaja and someone stating how hard some were to open. I must say this one being my fav in my collection is extremely easy to open, just a firm grip in the middle, useing my finger tips to just push the blade free of the horn handle and a flick of the wrist and hey fresto, a 16inch blade ratchets forth. I know why many call these the predesessor to the automatic flick knives we know of today.
Many thanks
Gav
aka Freebooter
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 12:25 PM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Question One of my navajas

Hi, I am very new to this website and the use of forums, but am not new to collecting edged weapons.
I am hoping someone out there can help me put together some very hard to read script that is found on my pride and joy, being Australian, Spanish in not a language I grew up with and things get lost in the translation.
With the use of internet tranlators I have worked out the first of the three lines found on the blade and only partially deciphered the other two lines.
The first line reads "Si esta vibora te pica no hay remedio en la botica", "If this viper itches to you there is no remedy in the pharmacy".....too right I say, wouldn't want this fella drawn in anger against me.
The second line reads "___ defensora de mi dueno bas ta el _____ ______", " ___ defender of my owner you go to ______ ______".
The third line is " O le ____ __ Grava __ Labra" ....something like "it burdens working to him" with a few words missing.
Those of you in the know, may know of this inscription or be able to fill in the blanks if fluent in Spanish.
I also remember reading in other forum discussions about the Navaja and someone stating how hard some were to open. I must say this one being my fav in my collection is extremely easy to open, just a firm grip in the middle, useing my finger tips to just push the blade free of the horn handle and a flick of the wrist and hey fresto, a 16inch blade ratchets forth. I know why many call these the predesessor to the automatic flick knives we know of today.
Many thanks
Gav
aka Freebooter
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:53 AM   #12
Chris Evans

Hi Gav,

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Hi, I am very new to this website and the use of forums, but am not new to collecting edged weapons.
Welcome to this forum.

Quote:
The first line reads "Si esta vibora te pica no hay remedio en la botica",
First I must remind all forumites that right up to the the early decades of the 20th century, illiteracy in Spain was the norm, rather than the exception and cutlers coming from the lower classes were notoriously bad spellers. BTW You nerly got it right. The correct translation is: "If this snake bites you, there is no remedy in the pharmacy". "Vibora"is Spanish means snake, not viper as is often but erroneously thought. "Pica" literally means to pierce or sting, but in this instance it obviously refers to a bite.

Quote:
The second line reads "___ defensora de mi dueno bas ta el _____ ______", "
___ defender of my owner you go to ______ ______".
Starts to get tricky. "defensora de mi dueño" is easy enough and means "defender of my owner".

"bas ta el" does not make much sense. If it is a misspelled "hasta el", which is probable, then it means "until (when)". However if what was intended was "basta el" then that means "(whatever) suffices".

Quote:
With this I cannot do any better than you. "Grava" means "burden" and "Labra" "to work".

Quote:
Why don't you give us a photo of the inscription and the navaja?

Quote:
I also remember reading in other forum discussions about the Navaja and someone stating how hard some were to open.
Most navajas used in Spain in the 19th century were French and fitted with what I call a "demi-lock" using a very powerful spine spring. These were notoriously difficult to open and close. The impediment in opening the ratcheting native variety was, of course, the ratchet. However, as blade size increased and if the the ratchet teeth were few and worn, as well as the pivot pin loosened up, then some could be flung open.

Quote:
a 16inch blade ratchets forth.
That is an unusually long blade and probably an exhibition piece by a cutler. Most did not exceed 9 inches; Reason being the weight and strength limitations.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris Evans; 2nd November 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris, and sorry to everyone for a repedative blog, seems I added it three times....newbie to this.

I have uploaded a few photos of the large navaja and will add more of my navajas when time permits. I have also added an image of a framed collection I put together and various images I have on file of my Toledo navaja in the frame.

In the framed collection, all navaja are approx 16 inches long.

The top navaja is very unusual and I have no idea as to date or region, though I am thinking continental, first quater on the 20th century, it is a very well crafted knife, ring pull to top, razor sharp high carbon blade, aluminium handle with hard wood inserts and brass bolsters

The second in made by Alvero Garcia of Albecete, another razor sharp blade with floral decoratons to both sides and a Spanish inscription I have not yet even thought to deciper, though I will shortly and keep those who are interested updated. It is a very wide blade and has a large number of rachet teeth too, I wouldn't consider this blade loose at all but it does flick nicely in the hand.

The third is not Navaja but a mexican knife of the old wild west, marked C Camaren, just framed up for interest sake.

The Fourth has not locking mechanism at all, personally I think this may have been an apprentice peice???? crafted without the locking part of the blade in error, hence no locking assembly on the top of it. It has an extremely thick spine, heavy pointy and razor sharp blade (nearly took my whole finger off, hence it is framed now!!) , marked C.A and a strange little symbol above this. It sports the most beautiful high polish horn handle.

The fifth is a mid-late 20th century navaja with imitation mother of pearl grips.

With regards to the 6th one, a Toledo navaja, I beleive it to be late 1800s very early 1900s, though I one chap here in Australia said it to be a very modern tourist item...anyone have any take on these opinions. It has outstanding deep etched or chisled releif all over the blade and handle, it of an all metal construction and has Spanish inscriptions on both sides "Do not draw me without reason or store me without honour" and on the reverse side it says "Never a dent shall I suffer as Toledo was my Cradle" It has been gilded, blued and highly polished all over as seen in the images.

I would love to hear any input about any of these knives.

regards

Gav
Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2007, 04:07 PM   #14
katana

Hi Fernando,
I hope you don't mind me adding this, but this recently finished on eBay. I did bid ....but was not confident enough to bid too much....and (possibly) missed out on a bargain ?
I am not certain that this would be regarded as a Navaja as it is similar to knives described as 'Roman folders'. Whichever it is ...it is large. Blade approx. 25cms Opened approx. 53 cms

Any ideas

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/antique-foldin...QQcmdZViewItem

Freebooter, I am no expert, but you have some really nice examples
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:40 PM   #15
fernando

Hi, may i come in?

A little part missing in the first phrase:

Quote:
The second line reads "Soy defensora de mi dueno, basta el _____ ______", " i am defender of my owner, (it's) enough that he______ ______".

Also i follow Chris on his "suffising" sugestion

The third line is " O le ____ __ Grava __ Labra" ....something like "it burdens working to him" ??? with a few words missing.
aka Freebooter
I wouldn't bet on this assumption before trying to decipher the rest of the words in this phrase. I don't think is an afirmative sentence, but an optional one, ilke either such or such. The "O" in the beginning could well mean "or".

As for the viper atribution, Chris, i have a varied perspective. In Spain, like in Portugal, there are three diferent terms ( maybe all over ). Cobra, used for generically mentionning the reptile (at least in Portugal) Serpiente=Serpente, used often in mystic situations, and Vibora, necessarily a poisonous snake.
Cobra is only atributed to the reptile, Serpente can be used to conotate an evil person, and Vibora to conotate a poisonous ( speech ) person.
So in the case of Navajas, i think the "Vibora" sense is that of a lethal snake = Cobra venenosa.
Forget if i am talking nonsense.
All the best

Last edited by fernando; 2nd November 2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:39 PM   #16
fernando

Hi Gav
Your "pride and joy" is indeed a beautyfull navaja.
Certainly an exhibition piece, as Chris well puts it ( he is the expert ).
The inumerous phrases engraved on it, instead of the usual one or two, also bring it to the same conclusion.
The waved brass plates at the forte and the notching at the blade back are not often seen in Navajas ... what would you say, Chris?
Eventualy you can find a blue print of these efects in plug ( hunting ) bayonets from the Andalucia area ... if that helps to guess your navaja original region ?!
Fernando
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:55 PM   #17
fernando

Hi David

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
....and (possibly) missed out on a bargain ?
I am not so good ( or don't know enough ) at evaluating things at distance.
Chris could tell you a lot more about this piece.
But i don't think you missed something valuable. You might have missed the bargain, money wise, but i don't think you missed a good collectible item.
To my ignorant eyes, the blade looks funny. The lock, besides not being working, looks itself locked . It looks as some extra device was added to it. But this must be because i never saw such pattern.
Again, Chris could help much further.
All the best
Fernando
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:17 AM   #18
Chris Evans

Hi Gav,

You have a very nice collection. That large navaja is a beauty and most valuable.

I fear that Fernando, overstates my knowledge of navajas, but all the same will try to make a couple of comments:

That large antique navaja is in all probability a "Sevillana", that is from Seville, though one can never be certain without the cutler's brand or name. Forton dates similar pieces as late 19th century. Its high level of decoration and oversize blade tags it as a cutler's show piece - Then the Spanish upper classes still looked down on the navaja with utter contempt and the workers could not afford such an elaborate piece. The brass liners on each side of the blade, near the pivot, as well as the file work on the spine was a decorative feature found mostly on showpieces. All in all, a most collectable museum grade piece.

Now for the ones in the case:

The top one, with the aluminium handle has me wondering, but is in all probability post WWII, 60's perhaps. The ring pull on the spine spring suggests French. A further clue could be obtained from the lock: If it is a teat lock, then more likely than not French or Italian. If it has a rectangular "window" on the spine spring and it engages with blade ratchets or a single notch then probably Spanish. In the absence of a maker's brand positive identification of these clasp knives is very difficult as they were being made all over Europe.

The second from the top, by Alvaro Garcia, is typical of what was being turned out in Spain in the first half of the 20th century. According to a Spanish industry source, this cutler started working in 1878 and continued into the early 1930's after which his son Ricardo Garcia took over. The family is still active in Albacete. The difficulty in dating your navaja is whether it was made by Garcia senior or junior. For a start, the external spine spring definitely dates it as post 1900. At a guess, judging by the broad blade shape, I am inclined to think that it was made more towards the middle of the 20th century than earlier. As a broad generalization, as the 20th century progressed, Spanish made blades became wider. This blade shape is nowadays fancifully known as "bandolero" (that of bandits) despite that originally they were utilitarian in intent and that in earlier eras were referred to as "lengua de vaca" (cow's tongue). A strong clue could be obtained from the grind of the blade; If made by a grinding stone (rough), then it pertains to early 20th century but if by mechanized means (very smooth&polished), then it is a later product, since electric motors were not adopted until well into the 20th century. As an aside, I also have one of his navajas, but it has a much narrower blade.

The fourth from the top: Forton does list a CA (with an additional symbol over it) brand; At least one specimen is known of with the additional word "JEREZ" above the brand; This may be a clue to its origins - it is Spanish and pertains to the 19th century. Being without a lock, is what in Spain is known as a "navaja con cierro de fieles", ie a rivet lock, a real misnomer. These days we would call this type a friction folder. According to Forton this kind was the only one allowed by law in old Spain, notwithstanding the presence of locks on many others. - The very presence of such friction folders and the huge numbers of French imports without positive mechanical locks attests to the fact that the laws were in fact enforced, notwithstanding periodic laxness in this regard - This typology was probably normative in the olden days and is being used widely to this day. The famous navajas of Taramundi are a good example - Very utilitarian and functional, but rarely of high quality.

The fifth down is a 20th century piece. I have a couple that were made, I am told, by a defunct factory of Albacete in the 60s and were intended for export. They are of very poor quality, with an aluminium frame and stainless steel spring & blade. There is a fellow who still sells them on a Spanish forum, some with blades up to 10 inches. Actually, I bought three, but the moment I slightly flexed the blade of one it snapped!

The bottom one: I am afraid that your friend was right. I also have a similar one. These were made as cheap tourist souvenirs. After WWII The brand "Toledo" was stamped on knives made all over Spain, in an attempt to cash in on the reputation of their famous swords of yesteryear.

An end note: One of the problems we have in appraising pre 1900 Spanish made navajas is that the ones that saw day to day use had a short life and were very rough works, not very collectable and as such few survive. What remains are for most part showpieces and in a sense tend to misrepresent the genre.

If you haven't already done so, you may consider obtaining copies of Forton's "La Navaja Española Antigua" (Spanish only) and "Navajas Antiguas, Las Mejores Piezas De Coleccion/Antique Clasp Knives, The Finest Collection Items" (Spanish&English). Forton is the leading authority on navajas and both books are standard reference works for antiques. For post 1900 navajas there isn't very much written, though probably the best work is by Jose Sanchez Ferrer's "Introduction Al Estudio De La Cuchilleria Artistica De Albacete" (Spanish only).

Cheers
Chris
PS Sent you a PM

Last edited by Chris Evans; 3rd November 2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:55 AM   #19
Chris Evans

Hi Fernando,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando

As for the viper atribution, Chris, i have a varied perspective. In Spain, like in Portugal, there are three diferent terms ( maybe all over ). Cobra, used for generically mentionning the reptile (at least in Portugal) Serpiente=Serpente, used often in mystic situations, and Vibora, necessarily a poisonous snake.
Cobra is only atributed to the reptile, Serpente can be used to conotate an evil person, and Vibora to conotate a poisonous ( speech ) person.
So in the case of Navajas, i think the "Vibora" sense is that of a lethal snake = Cobra venenosa.
Forget if i am talking nonsense.
All the best
You are absolutely right and I stand corrected. By way of a lame excuse, what I was stating was considered normal usage of the word in South American Spanish and I forgot about Iberia! Actally, even there it was a misnomer because I looked it up in my ancient Argentinean dictionary! "Cobra" is a misnomer also used in South America interchangeably with "serpiente", "culebra" and "vibora".

Cheers
Chris
Old 3rd November 2007, 05:07 AM   #20
Chris Evans

Hi David,

I tend to agree with Fernando in that you haven't missed out on much. It appears to be a low grade 20th century, possibly French navaja in a sorry state of disrepair.

I have my own share of such junk knives, which I buy to complete the story of the navaja. As such they have their place in a comprehensive collection, but as stand alones they have little value.

Cheers
Chris
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:37 AM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks everyone, I'm glad to see the Navaja is held with great respect.

Thanks guys, just a few random points and extras.

I will continue to work out the missing texts on the large blade and see what I work out. I can definitely see Moorish influences shine through with the decoration on this knife, hopefully I can source several more and have these framed up too.
Thanks Fernando, you were absolutely right about the word "Soy" it is partially hidden by the brass on the blade.

With regards to the framed collection and Chris's reply,

The top one is definitely Spanish from what Chris has pointed out, it has a square locking hole with a single notch, amazing craftsmanship when examined closely. The piecing together of this piece is absolutely precision engineering.

The Alvero Garcia blade appears to be 20th century with the further input from Chris as the blade is super smooth, but it is heavily etched and I can see light file marks on the non etched edges??????

The Navaja without a locking mechanism is identical in everyway to this ebay link below. This may help further identify it. The little cresent for the thumb nail is present as is the symbol shown above the initials, though it lacks a couple of those strokes either side and the circle in the middle is clearer on mine. I have heard of this referred to as a "sun burst crown". Every engraving on the end caps are identical too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

As for the junker with the fake mother of pearl grips, it also has a gorgeous file finished locking spring much like the large exhibition piece has on the blade, it also has a pipe tamper to the back of it, both the back spring and blade are reasonable carbon steel and the blade is very sharp, the fittings appear to be nickel wrapped around another type of steel on the end caps.

I am still not 100% convinced about the Toledo blade being very modern, there is nothing stamped about this navaja(to my eyes), it is all, what I believe, engraved, etched or chiselled, the lines are so crisp and delicate in many places. I do remember Laura from knifecollection some years ago put this around circa 1900-1910 as she too was watching the auction at the time and wanted to add it to her stock.

I have found several of these books you speak of Chris but have yet to purchase them.

Thanks heaps everyone, I'll get to adding some of my other little treasures in other posts, like my ivory and silver Dha with an Burmese made English clip point bowie blade, silver Tibetan dagger, sword canes, Chinese swords, Persian axes, dress swords and other stuff I have squirreled away here. It is great to be able to share these wonderful things with like minded people and learn more about what we all love.

Last edited by freebooter; 3rd November 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:47 AM   #22
Gavin Nugent

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/antique-foldin...QQcmdZViewItem

Freebooter, I am no expert, but you have some really nice examples [/QUOTE]

Thanks Katana, a lot of hours has gone into sourcing these at the right price and presenting them for their future custodians. I am glad to hear you didn't go ahead with the knife in the link, not what I would call a sound investment. Keep looking, as I say, leave no stone unturned, there is treasure everywhere.
Old 4th November 2007, 04:28 AM   #23
Chris Evans

Hi Gav,

Quote:
I am still not 100% convinced about the Toledo blade being very modern, there is nothing stamped about this navaja(to my eyes), it is all, what I believe, engraved, etched or chiselled, the lines are so crisp and delicate in many places. I do remember Laura from knifecollection some years ago put this around circa 1900-1910 as she too was watching the auction at the time and wanted to add it to her stock.
OK. we here a obviously Spanish style non functional souvenir grade navaja manufactured some time ago, but we don't know when. Apart from the ubiquitous "TOLEDO" there is nothing else to identify it.

In such cases we can only do the following:

a) Carefully examine the piece and try and detect the technology used in its manufacture, such as blanking of the blade, the mode of construction as for example cast or the earlier riveted sheet handle frame, indications of machining and die forgings, mechanical polishing, electroplating, type of engraving used, materials employed and any other evidence of advanced manufacturing. All this is then to be compared with periods of known cutlery output from Spain.

b) Try to estimate the probable age of the piece from condition and type of paint used to fill up the engraving. A powerful clue is whether the gold effect was obtained with powdered pigment paint or a thin coat of translucent "gold" laquer applied over a silvery electro plated surface. The way to detect this is to examine the area in question under a low power microscope (20x-50x) and with a scalpel gently scratch away at the surface. If this technology was used, then after removal of the coat of lacquer a shiny silver surface will be revealed

Now, we do know that

a) Up to around 60s, cutlery in Spain was a cottage industry, using only the most rudimentary tools and basic materials. After that, it modernized;

b) There was flood of cheap souvenir daggers, and swords in the 60s and 70s with cast metal handles and plated blades using the above "faux" gold plating, all etch engraved and painted with enamels. As far as I can ascertain, the sequence of paint deposition was as follows:

1st coat: Silvery electro plating
2nd coat: Translucent "gold"lacquer
3d coat : Colored enamel, the "gold" lacquer serving as an undercoat/primer.

I have not seen any earlier Spanish decorative cutlery that utilized this "faux" gold finish.

c) We also do know that cast metal navaja handles became widespread sometime after around 1960. This how most of the modern imitation junk navajas are made. The only way to get a "real" navaja, built by traditional means (Spanish "artesanal") these days is to have one custom made. If still producing, then the navajas of Exposito are exempted from these remarks.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris Evans; 4th November 2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 4th November 2007, 08:46 PM   #24
Gavin Nugent

Default That sure helps

Thanks again Chris, your insight is invaluable.
Old 4th November 2007, 09:10 PM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would like to thank Fernando, Chris and Freebooter for providing such valuable insight here on these most esoteric and intriguing weapons!! This thread has developed into a most comprehensive resource for understanding more on the navaja, especially for those of us not well versed in Spanish and not having access to the references noted here.
This kind of attention to detail and specific discussion are exactly what make this forum outstanding in learning the history and development of so many weapon forms!

Thanks so much guys for such informative posts !

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 09:22 PM   #26
fernando

Hi Jim,
I thank your thanking me, but my participation was residual .
Chris is undoubtfully the guy for the podium
I truly apreciate his virtue to examine things ( Navajas for the case ) to the ultimate detail.
Fernando
Old 4th November 2007, 09:30 PM   #27
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well said Fernando! He indeed has outstanding knowledge on these weapons!
I am impressed overall by all of you as a group here and constantly learn from the discussions on threads such as this, and your initial posting here set the wheels in motion.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 01:01 AM   #28
Chris Evans

Gentlemen,

Thank you.

I was a young boy when given my first navaja, it was just like these two. As you can probably tell, almost 60yrs later my enthusiasm for this curious breed of folders remains undiminished.

Fernando has made many valuable contributions on this subject and he enjoys the added advantage of not only being fluent in Spanish, but also Portuguese and deserves a special thanks. Now that I think of it, I for one would love to read something from him on navajas in his country - After all, Portugal and Spain are right next to each other.

In closing, I just like to say what a nice forum this is. This is exemplified by the seemingly unending wealth of Jim McDougall's knowledge on all kinds of edged weapons. A real pleasure to be posting here.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images

Old 5th November 2007, 03:26 AM   #29
cylord21

Default Navaja de Santa Cruz or Albacete

A bit late, but just in case you have not seen it, here is a link from the old forum wich display an interesting 55" navaja from Santa Cruz or Albacete with inscriptions and red enamel paint filling the decoration chiselled or engraved on the blade. http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001357.html

Last edited by cylord21; 5th November 2007 at 03:50 AM.
cylord21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 04:06 AM   #30
Chris Evans

Hi cylord21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylord21
A bit late, but just in case you have not seen it, here is a link from the old forum wich display an interesting 55" navaja from Santa Cruz or Albacete with inscriptions and red enamel paint filling the decoration chiselled or engraved on the blade. http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001357.html
Thank you for reminding us. I do remember seeing that very old navaja. I am inclined to think that it was probably from Santa Cruz de Mudela rather than Albacete.

Of all the old navajas that I have seen, red was the only colour that I noted as having been used to fill in the engravings. It was only in the 50s and 60s the Spanish cutlers decided to put out polychromatic and very garish versions, using oil based enamels, all aimed at tourists. The vast majority featured the ever recurring "Recuerdo de..." (Souvenir of....) and all bore the Toledo brand, even if the cutler's workshop was in Albacete, the place that most came from. A few were quite decent but most were junk - In those decades the industry nearly disappeared.

Cheers
Chris